The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Overthrow Clarification (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97654-overthrow-clarification.html)

BillM. Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54pm

Overthrow Clarification

ASA Rule 8-5-G:
“When the ball is live and becomes overthrown or is blocked:
EFFECT: All runners shall be awarded two bases. The award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners must return to touch a base missed or a base left too soon. When two runners are between the same two bases, the award is based off the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any based missed or any base left too soon.
Exception: When a fielder loses possession of the ball and the ball leaves live ball territory:
EFFECT: Each runner is awarded one base from the base last touched at the time the ball entered the dead ball area or became blocked. “

Can you fine folks clarify the underlined exception for me, including an example?:confused:

The way I am reading this is that if a fielder has possession of the ball, but then drops it, and it rolls into dead ball territory, the base award will be 1 base from the moment it rolls into dead ball territory. In my limited experience (3 years) I haven't seen that happen, so I am just trying to prepare myself for our season starting in a few weeks. :D

BretMan Mon Mar 31, 2014 04:37am

It's for when a fielder has possession of the ball and then something other than a throw causes it to go out of play.

An example I've often heard: Runner coming into third base. F5 catches the ball and goes to apply a tag. On the tag, the ball pops out of the fielder's glove and rolls out of play.

Manny A Mon Mar 31, 2014 06:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM. (Post 929941)
ASA Rule 8-5-G:
EFFECT: All runners shall be awarded two bases. The award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners must return to touch a base missed or a base left too soon. When two runners are between the same two bases, the award is based off the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any based missed or any base left too soon.
Exception: When a fielder loses possession of the ball and the ball leaves live ball territory:
EFFECT: Each runner is awarded one base from the base last touched at the time the ball entered the dead ball area or became blocked. “

Can you fine folks clarify the underlined exception for me, including an example?:confused:

The way I am reading this is that if a fielder has possession of the ball, but then drops it, and it rolls into dead ball territory, the base award will be 1 base from the moment it rolls into dead ball territory. In my limited experience (3 years) I haven't seen that happen, so I am just trying to prepare myself for our season starting in a few weeks. :D

I believe your example is still considered a two-base award from the "throw", with the "throw" being when the fielder drops the ball.

ASA RS#38 specifically mentions the tag attempt to clarify the Exception in 8-5-G.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 31, 2014 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 929947)
It's for when a fielder has possession of the ball and then something other than a throw causes it to go out of play.

An example I've often heard: Runner coming into third base. F5 catches the ball and goes to apply a tag. On the tag, the ball pops out of the fielder's glove and rolls out of play.

This is correct. There are numerous ways this could happen where the players loses control of the ball without a throw. A couple could include a sweep tag, ball being dislodged throw contact with a runner, base or ground, etc.

BillM. Mon Mar 31, 2014 08:51am

Thanks everyone.

That clarifies it. I just didn't understand the wording.

CecilOne Mon Mar 31, 2014 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM. (Post 929941)
ASA Rule 8-5-G:
EFFECT: All runners shall be awarded two bases. The award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. Runners must return to touch a base missed or a base left too soon. When two runners are between the same two bases, the award is based off the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any based missed or any base left too soon. Exception: When a fielder loses possession of the ball and the ball leaves live ball territory:

Good example of knowing what to do in rare circumstances. There are 4 in this rule, probably less than 10 occurrences in my 27 years of umpiring.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 31, 2014 04:59pm

A) Please do not ever use that color again. I'm blind! :)
B) you win the multicolored post award for the year.

:)

CecilOne Mon Mar 31, 2014 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 930030)
A) Please do not ever use that color again. I'm blind! :)
B) you win the multicolored post award for the year.

:)

I changed the cyan to blue. ;) :)

Also forgot the grey background would be like reading ASA rules.