The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
There's a reason you're having this hang-up...

Just clarified with a state guy (I would put his/her name, except for the "Please don't put my name on that site at all" part of his/her email - but this is about 1 level down from the highest I could think of to ask --- a person that leads breakout sessions at clinics). In his/her words, and I'm copy/pasting here ... "If the batter steps out after the pitcher has begun her delivery, there can't be an illegal pitch. If they deliver, it's legal. If they don't, it's a no pitch."
So, if the pitcher exceeds two rotations, the pitch is to be called a strike? Or crow hops, it's a strike? Or steps halfway to 1B, it's a strike?

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 07:52pm.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So, if the pitcher exceeds two rotations, the pitch is to be called a strike? Or crow hops, it's a strike? Or steps halfway to 1B, it's a strike?
Conceivably, yes. The videos (2 at separate clinics) I saw showed a pitcher misstepping in a way that one would call an ugly crowhop in one case, and in the other showed her misstepping and landing outside the 24 (not "halfway to first" ... but outside the 24 is outside the 24, no matter how far). I honestly can't imagine this occurring in real life and having a picture rotate an extra time.

Seems to me the easier solution, if they want to simply penalize the batter by a strike in almost every case, is to get rid of the "if she stops or hesitates it's a no pitch" part and just simply call it immediately dead if the batter steps out during a delivery and call it a penalty strike. If they are wanting (as clinics and our interpretor say) any missteps by the pitcher to be blamed on the hitter... perhaps they should also blame the pitcher stopping or hesitating on the hitter as well. More consistent.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think I expect you to believe me, or Insane, or most others. And I kind of see your point that the rule is worded messily - it could be much better.

Your best answer is not to try to puzzle it out here - but to go to a clinic. I can't tell you how often I've heard this exact same argument. Wordsmithers trying to prove their point - arguing against those who are getting their rulings straight from the top. Sounds just like this thread to be honest.

Go to a clinic. OR ask a clinician (not necessarily your assignor, he's probably in the same boat as you unless he goes to clinics often as well).
Yeah, I'll ask for the local take on this when I get a chance.

This isn't wordsmithing, though. The rule very clearly says what Steve said it says. That may not be the way they want it called (it wouldn't be the first such rule), but this isn't getting fancy with the words it's just taking them as written.

Separately in this thread you've quoted "the pitch is ruled to be legal", where does that phrase come from?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

This isn't wordsmithing, though. The rule very clearly says what Steve said it says. That may not be the way they want it called (it wouldn't be the first such rule), but this isn't getting fancy with the words it's just taking them as written.

Separately in this thread you've quoted "the pitch is ruled to be legal", where does that phrase come from?
7-3-1-eff2
lf the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result ol the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7-3-1-eff2
lf the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch.
But the quoted phrase isn't actually a quote from somewhere?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But the quoted phrase isn't actually a quote from somewhere?
Huh? I just told you where that is quoted from. Rule 7-3-1, effect 2. Direct quote.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 08:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Huh? I just told you where that is quoted from. Rule 7-3-1, effect 2. Direct quote.
Don't worry, youngump. I don't see those exact words in my rule book either.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Don't worry, youngump. I don't see those exact words in my rule book either.
I'm looking right at it.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 10:36am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I'm looking right at it.
At the exact words, "the pitch is ruled to be legal"? There is no such wording in the Effects 2 paragraph under 7-3-1 in my FED rule book, Mike.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 11:37am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
At the exact words, "the pitch is ruled to be legal"? There is no such wording in the Effects 2 paragraph under 7-3-1 in my FED rule book, Mike.
Manny Young Ump was asking about this quote from Mike

Quote:
7-3-1-eff2
lf the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch.
And yes it's from the book
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interestingly, I quoted it for you, told you where it was ... and you somehow misquote me. Does my quote say "the pitch is ruled to be legal"? Nope. It says what I quoted. Twice. Verbatim. "lf the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch."

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Man, moderating must be a really tough gig.

How do you manage?

Quote:
Interestingly, I quoted it for you, told you where it was ... and you somehow misquote me. Does my quote say "the pitch is ruled to be legal"? Nope. It says what I quoted. Twice. Verbatim. "lf the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch."
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 03:35pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Manny Young Ump was asking about this quote from Mike...
Quote:
Groan...

Folks, please refer to youngump's post #49. Read the last sentence that starts with "Separately in this thread..."

Quote:

Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

OK - I found where I used the phrase referred to. I was not quoting the rulebook there, I was summarizing the rule I quoted 3 times - using quotes to separate the phrase instead of putting hyphens between each word - which is hard to read. It was not a quote of the rule. Sorry for the confusion.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 21, 2014, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I have been following everything said since I first posted the question. Haven't said much (yes, I am a lurker, but I've surmised a couple of things. One is that there isn't a definitive, clear answer to this question. And two is that there should be. This is obviously a poorly worded group of rules that seems to want to do the right thing but can't get out of it's own way. I wish (and it's just a wish) that the Fed had a "hotline" if you will to clarify things like this. I believe NCAA had "Ask Dee" a few years back. I've found, like some have said, that the state guy doesn't always know what their talking about. They're just giving personal opinions that aren't necessarily any more learned than mine.