The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

American Legion "Time Called"

First off, I am calling my fault on this one. I know I called time too early. However let's suppose I didn't mess up.
Sit: Bases Loaded no outs. Infield pulled in bottom of the seventh tie game. A shot to the shortstop that skips into his glove. My awesome partner has a great angle and yells no catch and gives a safe signal on the catch. The shortstop throws home. R3 slides home in a cloud of dust, I yell force and mark the out. The catcher looks to throw to first, realizes that the play would be to risky and holds on to the ball. Catcher pauses throws the ball to the pitcher who then walks back to the mound area. He is on th dirt (not that it matters). I call time and go to sweep the plate. Well there is no runner on second the second baseman notices and yells at the pitcher to throw it there. He does and my partner yells force and marks the second out (apparently R1 fell and twisted his ankle and limped off the field toward the first base dugout as the play initially took place). When the pitcher throws to second for the second out, R2 who is now on third breaks for the plate. I am done sweeping the plate at this time and the batter is in the batters box. The batter moves into the diamond as the catcher contact him to get into position for the throw home and just avoids the throw because it is up the line a little. The catcher catches it and reaches back to tag the runner but doesn't make it. Needless to say, The defensive coach wants interference on the batter and a third out. The offensive coach wants the run to count.

1) Here is what we did. Called the runner out at second and then sent the winning run back to third, due to time being called. Really no one said much both coaches were great about it. Was this the right thing to do?

2) What if I hadn't called time. I believe that I do have to call the runner out at the plate for interference. Right?
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
First off, I am calling my fault on this one. I know I called time too early. However let's suppose I didn't mess up.
Sit: Bases Loaded no outs. Infield pulled in bottom of the seventh tie game. A shot to the shortstop that skips into his glove. My awesome partner has a great angle and yells no catch and gives a safe signal on the catch. The shortstop throws home. R3 slides home in a cloud of dust, I yell force and mark the out. The catcher looks to throw to first, realizes that the play would be to risky and holds on to the ball. Catcher pauses throws the ball to the pitcher who then walks back to the mound area. He is on th dirt (not that it matters). I call time and go to sweep the plate. Well there is no runner on second the second baseman notices and yells at the pitcher to throw it there. He does and my partner yells force and marks the second out (apparently R1 fell and twisted his ankle and limped off the field toward the first base dugout as the play initially took place). When the pitcher throws to second for the second out, R2 who is now on third breaks for the plate. I am done sweeping the plate at this time and the batter is in the batters box. The batter moves into the diamond as the catcher contact him to get into position for the throw home and just avoids the throw because it is up the line a little. The catcher catches it and reaches back to tag the runner but doesn't make it. Needless to say, The defensive coach wants interference on the batter and a third out. The offensive coach wants the run to count.

1) Here is what we did. Called the runner out at second and then sent the winning run back to third, due to time being called. Really no one said much both coaches were great about it. Was this the right thing to do?

2) What if I hadn't called time. I believe that I do have to call the runner out at the plate for interference. Right?
1) I don't even know where to begin with this. From a logical standpoint, that might be a fix.

2) No, because I'd bet my left nut that the only reason the next batter was there to "interfere" was because he was paying attention to what you were doing, which was preparing for the next pitch. You don't call time, he's on 3BLX telling the runner what to do.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 09:35am
Stop staring at me swan.

Watch the game, don't get so locked into your routine that you're worrying more about cleaning the plate than noticing that a runner has not reached 2B.

Watch the game, just because you're on the plate doesn't mean you give up all responsibilities on the bases.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

first2third,

Where are you from?

JM
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I have to say Duh to jonny's reply, I think I learned that.
I am from Utah.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post

First of all, you called TIME so nothing after that happened. And what is all the yelling of "force"?
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 09:35pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Don't ask for feedback if you're going to Duh people.
Old Sat Jun 26, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Don't ask for feedback if you're going to Duh people.
Well, he wasn't asking for advice on how to keep this from happening again -- I think he learned that the hard way already. He's looking for comments on how he handled the situation.

Time out is time out. Nothing after you said that actually happened.

And I agree with the above - sounds like you guys yell too much generally. No need to yell force.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Whenever you call time, you eliminate the possibility of getting outs. Don't do it! You can sweep the plate with the ball live. That's what partners are for.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
You can sweep the plate with the ball live. That's what partners are for.
You have your partners sweep the plate? That's genius! Wish I'd thought of it.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whenever you call time, you eliminate the possibility of getting outs. Don't do it! You can sweep the plate with the ball live. That's what partners are for.
When I coached third with R3 and the umpire swept the plate with the ball live I instructed my runners to take a couple of steps, look at the pitcher and catcher to see if they were more alert than the umpire and head for the plate. Of course most umps would say they called time when it never happened but, there were the one's that didn't know better.

Take the time and read what is happening on the field. If your going to bend over with runners on, call time. You can sweep the plate with a live ball, just know when too.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You have your partners sweep the plate? That's genius! Wish I'd thought of it.
One of my fantasies is plate chicks - baseball's answer to boxing ring card girls. They would come out in skimpy outfits and sweep the plate with a whisk broom (requiring bending at the waist) when it needed it. "Time! Can I get a plate chick out here please?" They would also supply the umpires with cold water.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

R3 is out via force. R1 is called out for abandonment (7.08a(2)). Nothing else happened.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
r3 is out via force. R1 is called out for abandonment (7.08a(2)). Nothing else happened.
+1
Old Sun Jun 27, 2010, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of my fantasies is plate chicks - baseball's answer to boxing ring card girls. They would come out in skimpy outfits and sweep the plate with a whisk broom (requiring bending at the waist) when it needed it. "Time! Can I get a plate chick out here please?" They would also supply the umpires with cold water.
You know dang well that if we had that in baseball, either the batter or catcher or most likely me would be kicking dirt on the plate very very frequently. Then we would also have to have an assistant or a "Plate Chick Checker" say that 3 times.