The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Batter throwing the bat

I know this has been talked about before. It must be my search forum skills suck because I can't find any threads on this.

Batter, after hitting the ball, throws her bat, and it hits the catcher and or the umpire.

It happened to my partner yesterday, twice. I've RS# read 52. It seems to be a stretch, but my partner was prepared to go with Interference.

Also someone want to point me in the direction "of making a play" definition.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Did the catcher have a play?
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Did the catcher have a play?
Going with the ASA definition...not at the precise moment the bat lodged in her mask...(using exaggeration here).

It wasn't a malicious thing, but it was a pretty forceful thing.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Throwing the bat

This was a big issue so far for a couple middle school games I've umpired. My shin guards, as well as the catcher's shin guards have taken a beating as a result of improperly handled bats after swings.

I finally got to the point in one of my games, after the same batter carelessly released her bat, that I warned her personally, as well as the coach, that the next player who carelessly released her bat would be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game. Luckily she never came up again and we never had another issue. After the game, the coach came up to me in the parking lot and said "Tomorrow practice will be all dropping the bat after we hit it."

I try to be as nice as possible, even more so with middle school players who have only done Wreck League before, but at some point even I have to draw that line, and when the bat barely misses me, and goes in the air to the backstop, it is a little too much even for me.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Any throw in a dangerous manner in any direction, hitting anyone not needed, gets a verbal caution to the coach with me handing him/her the bat.
Next time, unless much less dangerous, RTB.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Any throw in a dangerous manner in any direction, hitting anyone not needed, gets a verbal caution to the coach with me handing him/her the bat.
Next time, unless much less dangerous, RTB.
Not trying to be difficult here, but is there a rules justification for the RTB ?
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Unless you're working Little League Baseball ... or your local league has a rule regarding thrown bats ...

THERE IS NO RULES JUSTIFICATION for anything being discussed here when a bat is thrown carelessly. No restrict to bench. No warning. No eject the next guy who does it. Nothing.

I know most of us WANT there to be something to let us inflict revenge on the guy that dented our shinguards (or worse, the catcher's). But there isn't.

(If the thrown bat interferes with play, by all means follow that rule - but even there, no RTB or ejection is applicable).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

It seems like some posts in this thread are maybe mixing in FED rules, where a team warning and bench restriction does come into play.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It seems like some posts in this thread are maybe mixing in FED rules, where a team warning and bench restriction does come into play.
In my situation it was Fed rules, which do cover a carelessly released bat and a dangerously thrown bat.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Sorry ... my ASA/NCAA is showing...

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Not trying to be difficult here, but is there a rules justification for the RTB ?
NFHS 3-6-3. Sorry, the OP did imply ASA.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Unless you're working Little League Baseball ... or your local league has a rule regarding thrown bats ...

THERE IS NO RULES JUSTIFICATION for anything being discussed here when a bat is thrown carelessly. No restrict to bench. No warning. No eject the next guy who does it. Nothing.

I know most of us WANT there to be something to let us inflict revenge on the guy that dented our shinguards (or worse, the catcher's). But there isn't.

(If the thrown bat interferes with play, by all means follow that rule - but even there, no RTB or ejection is applicable).
Thanks. The board comes through again.

I spoke to a couple of my fellow ASA blues and they ran the gamut from ejection, warnings, and outs.

I really do appreciate the board and its members.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Actually your words will be justification to handle this situation.

As you stated, there is no rules justification to handle this in any way.

Rule 10-1 Power and Duties

.... "The plate umpire shall have the authority to make decisions on any situations not specifically covered in these rules" ....

Rule supplement 52 covers

1) a bat thrown in anger

2) a bat that slips from a players hands

3) a batter-runner carrying a bat.

This rule does not cover a bat which does not slip from a batters hands, but is careless discarded by the batter. Therefore an umpire could apply the portion of rule 10-1 as this is not specifically covered in the rules.

Now in a practical sense. The first time the bat comes back and hits myself or the catcher, I would think the bat slipped from the catchers hands, and therefore unless it interferes with play, no penalty would be issued. The second time it happens, it is much less likely to have slipped from the batters hands (under normal circumstances). If it happens a third, fourth or fifth time in a game, then I would seriously question if this was not in fact an intentional act, and could handle this under rule 10-1, since a carelessly discarded bat is not specifically covered under the rules.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Rule supplement 52 covers

1) a bat thrown in anger

2) a bat that slips from a players hands

3) a batter-runner carrying a bat.

This rule does not cover a bat which does not slip from a batters hands, but is careless discarded by the batter. Therefore an umpire could apply the portion of rule 10-1 as this is not specifically covered in the rules.
This is not correct... what you're calling "careless discarded by the batter" is EXACTLY what is meant by "a bat that slips from a players hands".

ASA is very clear that this is not a penalizable event.

Also ... if you trot out 10-1 in your career more than once, you're almost definitely overusing it. That is meant for the truly unforseeable event - not for something we see in any 10U league multiple times a year. Any event that you've ever seen in your games more than a time or two is forseeable. ASA is not so blind to the actualities of a game to have not thought to cover a batter throwing a bat as in the OP... if they wanted that penalized, there would be a penalty.

(PS - I've said this before... my singular 10-1 moment in 21 years (this includes never using rule 9 in baseball - same rule) was a truck that was put into gear and rolled over my right field fence (driverless!) while play was live - the truck eventually rolled into fair ball territory before getting stopped. It scared the crap out of both teams - we killed play and placed runners where we thought they should go.)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

PS - if you ever get to the point that you think it's intentional, you have other rules to use to address the situation.

West Houston Mike