The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I have noticed a lot of comments about players deliberately throwing the ball into the referee. Under FIBA rules this would result in an automatic technical foul or ejection (depending on if the referee was looking, and the manner in which the ball was thrown).

Is the legal in NF? If so, can someone please explain why?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 12:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

If a player deliberately throws the ball at the official in what is obviously a display of anger or disrespect, a technical foul should be called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Depending on the situation, it could also be considered flagrant, which would require an ejection. Obviously, if I felt there was an intent to injure, such as throwing the ball at my head or my family jewels, he would be ejected and I would request a suspension from the governing authority.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Question Yes, but...

Thanks for the reply Mark, but my point was that there are several posts bringing up cases when players have deliberately thrown the ball into the ref to gain an advantage. For instance when the ref is about to blow 5 seconds for the inbounds. In this particular case - the referee that posted the message wanted to know whether to call the 5 seconds or not.

I would have thought that rather thna 5 seconds, the correct call would be a tech. As I understand it, any mention of th ball coming off the referee in the rules, assumes that it is incidental, and not a deliberate act by a player.

Any thoughts?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Sorry I misunderstood your inquiry. Noel Coward once said that America and England were two countries separated by a common language. Perhaps the difference is even greater with Australia, mate

I was addressing the situation in which a player deliberately throws the ball at an official to indicate displeasure with a call. Apparently, you were asking about situations in which a player tosses the ball toward the official during the time when the ball is at the disposal of an inbounder, etc.

My philosophy, developed over many years, is to try to jump out of the way of the ball and continue the 5 second count. It is my firm belief that the player's learning experience is greater if you make the call, then explain it as opposed to letting the player get away with this, then explaining it later. If you make the call and the player sees that there is a consequence to his actions, he will better remember not to do it in the future. I feel that is a more effective method of teaching.

Besides, doing it that way consistently eliminates the possibility of you inadvertantly helping one team by making subjective decisions about when or when not to do it.