Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Rule supplement 52 covers

1) a bat thrown in anger

2) a bat that slips from a players hands

3) a batter-runner carrying a bat.

This rule does not cover a bat which does not slip from a batters hands, but is careless discarded by the batter. Therefore an umpire could apply the portion of rule 10-1 as this is not specifically covered in the rules.
This is not correct... what you're calling "careless discarded by the batter" is EXACTLY what is meant by "a bat that slips from a players hands".

ASA is very clear that this is not a penalizable event.

Also ... if you trot out 10-1 in your career more than once, you're almost definitely overusing it. That is meant for the truly unforseeable event - not for something we see in any 10U league multiple times a year. Any event that you've ever seen in your games more than a time or two is forseeable. ASA is not so blind to the actualities of a game to have not thought to cover a batter throwing a bat as in the OP... if they wanted that penalized, there would be a penalty.

(PS - I've said this before... my singular 10-1 moment in 21 years (this includes never using rule 9 in baseball - same rule) was a truck that was put into gear and rolled over my right field fence (driverless!) while play was live - the truck eventually rolled into fair ball territory before getting stopped. It scared the crap out of both teams - we killed play and placed runners where we thought they should go.)

West Houston Mike