The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

can't get games

Got a big problem.

I accepted a set of summer games (non-NFHS) under the conditions I'd do them only if the league/teams involved were registered with this same well-known summer national softball association that I umpire for in order to be eligible for umpire liability insurance if something bad happens and I get sued. The assigner said my umpire liability insurance with this well-known national summer time softball association (not saying which one) will cover me. I believed his sincerity but in reality I did not believe him. The assigner is also in the management ranks of this same well-known national summer time softball assocation which makes matters worse as you'll read below.

I accepted to do the games in the meantime and I told the assigner I'd do my own research to confirm whether umpire liability coverage is in effect for teams/leagues not registered with this well-known summer time national softball association that I have a umpire license with.

***-24 hours passes and for whatever reason, I'm thinking I accepted the games conditionally. The assigner thinks I accepted them unconditionally, but with the option of cancelling out on games with reasonable lead times. There's email proof that favors the assigner and not me. But keep in mind, what's at stake here -- me umpiring an unsanctioned game(s).

One the day of my first set of games I get a phone call from some coach confirming my arrival and had to inform him I did not accept the games.

I emailed the assigner within 10 minutes of refusing the games. The assigner emails me back minutes later saying in so many words (not exact) that I gave no warning and that he'll be taking me off of his assigning list.

I then did some phone calls / emails over the next few days to the underwriter insurance company that covers umpire liability insurance for the summer time assocation, and I email and phone the state umpire chief for this well-known summer time association. BOTH parties said I was NOT covered.

I emailed my assigner and told him I would not have been covered in those games if something bad happened.

Now, I can't get future games. I notified the local umpire president who is above this assigner person and the president says back to me in an email "I gave bad customer service" to the teams.

I spent a lot of time and money getting ready for this and now I can't get games. Should I get an attorney and sue the people in charge locally of this well-known national summer time softball association (again not going to reveal the assocation)?

I'm thinking the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I was joyfully sold into taking a set of uninsured games with the assigner telling me in error I was covered (his BIG TIME fault). I stupidly accepted the games under the understanding I would check on the umpire liability status, which is something the assigner should have known -- doing his job for him.

What should I do? I have an uniform, umpire training, equipment, but no games.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

The obvious answer is to find another assignor. I realize that may not be possible in your area, however.

If insurance is your major concern, you do have some options. Purchase the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) coverage. It is very reasonably priced and covers you for any sport you officiate, regardless of the sanctioning body.

You also mentioned NFHS..If you are a registered NFHS official in your state, the insurance coverage extends to you officiating any sport at any level that is also a sanctioned HS sport in your state.

I would also recommend that you do the research for yourself on these options to make sure they will work for you. Then, you can accept games without having to worry about being covered by a specific association.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The obvious answer is to find another assignor. I realize that may not be possible in your area, however.
There's a monopoly in my area. I would have to road-trip it out of town to do games. It would then become a feasibility issue.

Quote:
If insurance is your major concern, you do have some options. Purchase the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) coverage. It is very reasonably priced and covers you for any sport you officiate, regardless of the sanctioning body.
I'm aware of various companies that can cover me...for another outlay of money of course. The concern here is not getting games and what is going overboard on something they should be up on....with them being glib about it and refusing to assign me games, and passing it all off as poor customer service on my part.

Quote:
You also mentioned NFHS..If you are a registered NFHS official in your state, the insurance coverage extends to you officiating any sport at any level that is also a sanctioned HS sport in your state.
That's true for secondary health insurance but not liability coverage if you get sued. I know that for a fact because I contacted the very claims people about that.

Quote:
I would also recommend that you do the research for yourself on these options to make sure they will work for you. Then, you can accept games without having to worry about being covered by a specific association.
I've done my research. My experience in doing USSF soccer is what make the red light go off in my head about liability coverage in the first place. We were warned in USSF soccer not to ref games on your own between teams not registered with USSF because the liability insurance isn't covered.

Monopoly in my town. One guy does all of the assigning and I come to find out he has no tentative plans to give me any games....hence the desire to possibly sue him.

I think you're missing the point. I should not have to go to these extremes nor should I have to get beat up for refusing games for an issue that would have been detrimental to my personal possessions if I get sued. No apology on their part whatsoever and no desire on their part to repair the working relationship. They hold all of the cards ...so far.

Last edited by BornToReferee; Wed May 29, 2013 at 11:52am.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think he's "missing the point" at all, he was trying to help.

If this is indeed a national organization, the local guy you're having an issue with is not the end of the chain, and if everything you said is true, those higher ups are not going to appreciate him running unsanctioned events under their moniker.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:29pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToReferee View Post
There's a monopoly in my area. I would have to road-trip it out of town to do games. It would then become a feasibility issue.
I live in So. Cal where you have the complete alphabet of tournaments including some you may have never heard of.
I travel every weekend to work tournaments because I like to work good competitive tournaments versus the local ones that may not be so competitive. As far as leagues and HS I have traveled upwards of 85 miles one way to work a games. Granted they pay travel so I basically get $100 for those games. If you do not want to travel then you need to get out now.

Quote:
I'm aware of various companies that can cover me...for another outlay of money of course. The concern here is not getting games and what is going overboard on something they should be up on....with them being glib about it and refusing to assign me games, and passing it all off as poor customer service on my part.

That's true for secondary health insurance but not liability coverage if you get sued. I know that for a fact because I contacted the very claims people about that.
As for Insurance I have ASA and ASA optional coverage, NASO, and Volleyball insurance through my unit. yes I am over covered but for the $!00 extra I pay every year I don't have to worry as much. ( I still am very wary of getting sued though.) I am covered for all sports through NASO no matter what Alphabet I an working.

Quote:
I've done my research. My experience in doing USSF soccer is what make the red light go off in my head about liability coverage in the first place. We were warned in USSF soccer not to ref games on your own between teams not registered with USSF because the liability insurance isn't covered.
I agree you should not work games if you are not covered.

Quote:
Monopoly in my town. One guy does all of the assigning and I come to find out he has no tentative plans to give me any games....hence the desire to possibly sue him.

I think you're missing the point. I should not have to go to these extremes nor should I have to get beat up for refusing games for an issue that would have been detrimental to my personal possessions if I get sued. No apology on their part whatsoever and no desire on their part to repair the working relationship. They hold all of the cards ...so far.
Then you need to call him and get on the same page. I am Assuming you are talking ASA but who knows I do not have to worry as I am covered by NASO for any games I work.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Then you need to call him and get on the same page. I am Assuming you are talking ASA but who knows I do not have to worry as I am covered by NASO for any games I work.
Not sure phoning the assigner will help matters. I already explained my position by way of email to him and he doesn't reply back...and I've done it respectfully (level headed) in my email words.

His position will probably be, "you backed out of some games without notice, and that trumps your concern about liability insurance."

Not sure how to respond to a forecasted response like that especially when the local president agrees with him "it wasn't good customer service to back out."

The state I'm talking about is not a warm weather state whereby softball can be played all year long. We are looking at 12 more weeks of play at most with the last 4 weeks reserved for experienced umpires to do the playoffs which puts me out of the picture.

If I have to go over their heads to get justice it could take weeks cutting into the remaining 8 weeks of the season I could ump, right? Even if I win my grievance I still have to work with them to get games, etc.

To make matters worse, these same two guys perform the same task while school is in session in the (fill-in-the-blank state) High School Athletic Association. I have to deal with them in two separate organizations.

Last edited by BornToReferee; Wed May 29, 2013 at 12:56pm.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:56pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I accepted to do the games in the meantime and I told the assigner I'd do my own research to confirm whether umpire liability coverage is in effect for teams/leagues not registered with this well-known summer time national softball association that I have a umpire license with.
I then did some phone calls / emails over the next few days to the underwriter insurance company that covers umpire liability insurance for the summer time assocation, and I email and phone the state umpire chief for this well-known summer time association. BOTH parties said I was NOT covered.
Okay, so if I understand you correctly:
1. You are assigned games and you accept them with the caveat that you would do research to verify coverage (or the lack thereof).
2. Some significant amount of time (not clear from your post) goes by before you are called by a coach to find out if you're coming, and you tell him No.
3. You contact the assignor telling him you won't do the games, so he tells you he's taking you off his list.
4. THEN you decide to call to check on your coverage??

Quote:
I was joyfully sold into taking a set of uninsured games with the assigner telling me in error I was covered (his BIG TIME fault). I stupidly accepted the games under the understanding I would check on the umpire liability status, which is something the assigner should have known -- doing his job for him.
So now you're blaming the assignor? Sounds to me like you didn't do your due diligence when you told your assignor that you were going to check on your coverage. If I were the assignor and you told me that, I would have expected a follow-up response within a day or two to let me know what you found out. Instead, you never got back to him until the day of the games; of course he's going to be pissed off. He probably assumed you checked and everything was okay.

I really can't offer you a solution that's going to get you onto the ball field to umpire games. You pursue suing these folks, they're never going to want your services, regardless of how the suit plays out.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"...I accepted to do the games in the meantime and I told the assigner I'd do my own research to confirm whether umpire liability coverage is in effect for teams/leagues not registered with this well-known summer time national softball association that I have a umpire license with."
Perhaps mincing words here but accepted means accepted, there is no concept of "conditionally" here and you should have not initially accepted if you had any concerns. Now, there are times when you may have to turn back a game for various reasons which can drive your assignor crazy on short notice but usually not to the extent of "de-listing" you from his roster - unless habitual.

IMO, there is either more to the story or your assigner is really taking a hard line stance with weak justification.

Perhaps a follow up phone call to see if you can work out your differences of opinion, request a fresh "do-over", or to just beg for forgiveness citing your lack of experience in how the assigning expectations are administered. In any event, IF you want to work for this guy and its the only game in town then you will have to find a way to accommodate him. Monopolistic issue is not uncommon in many areas of the country across various sports; and it discourages people from getting into officiating - which is a shame.

Assigning is not an easy task and unfortunately some inconsiderate officials can ruin it for the whole roster by being double-bookers, or chronic tardy tales, or uniform derelicts, to the extent that the assigner has to apply harsh enforcement across the board. Usually, just a notice issued to the entire roster as a reminder about expectations suffices. Again, in this OP, I would agree that the punishment seems too harsh and that you should find a way to revisit the issue to work it out and learn from it....don't be stubborn and assuming that a phone call will be a waste of your time.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Okay, so if I understand you correctly:
1. You are assigned games and you accept them with the caveat that you would do research to verify coverage (or the lack thereof).
2. Some significant amount of time (not clear from your post) goes by before you are called by a coach to find out if you're coming, and you tell him No.
3. You contact the assignor telling him you won't do the games, so he tells you he's taking you off his list.
4. THEN you decide to call to check on your coverage??
Correct. I apologized and offer to directly respond to the unsanctioned league to smooth things over.

As far as point 2 is concerned, we are looking at about 2-3 days.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
'...If I have to go over their heads to get justice it could take weeks cutting into the remaining 8 weeks of the season I could ump, right? Even if I win my grievance I still have to work with them to get games, etc.

To make matters worse, these same two guys perform the same task while school is in session in the (fill-in-the-blank state) High School Athletic Association. I have to deal with them in two separate organizations.
Justice may be swift but it most likely will not be served as you think.

Every assigner (myself included) at every level I have ever worked has usually been very reasonable, understanding of circumstances, fair and firm when needed, and generally are "good people"; they didn't get to be assigners by being jerks...afterall, they NEED officials but even the most desperate assigner would not want to work with someone that makes their life miserable. Take the high road here and make a phone call to him, be humble, build a bridge, give him a chance or a reason to change his mind to reconsider.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Again, in this OP, I would agree that the punishment seems too harsh and that you should find a way to revisit the issue to work it out and learn from it....don't be stubborn and assuming that a phone call will be a waste of your time.
Honestly I'm pissed.

You do one honest oversight and it's all over. It wasn't a blatant skipping out. I had reservations about the games all along. I had other work matters that apparently go me sidetracked. I followed up with both the coach and the assignor. I brought the matter to his attention immediately after refusing the games because I could not get the liability issue resolved in time.

How many other umpires has he placed in this unsanctioned league? He won't talk to me.

I'm not apologizing to the guy again, anymore than Sir William Wallace is going to apologize to Longshanks (Braveheart movie).

It's his job to stay on top of insurance issues and not pushing that matter of to the newcomer. If he's making the new guys doiing that important stuff, then what exactly do board members do that's different from the newcomers?

Again, one oversight and it's over. I busted him on something serious.

Last edited by BornToReferee; Wed May 29, 2013 at 01:23pm.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I have to go over their heads to get justice it could take weeks cutting into the remaining 8 weeks of the season I could ump, right? Even if I win my grievance I still have to work with them to get games, etc.
Get Justice? Hmmmm.

I think you need to decide what you want. If you want "justice", do one thing. If you just want to work, do the opposite. You're not going to get both here.

My suggestion to go "over their head" was because you said they are assigning unsanctioned events under the moniker of some National organization... if they are doing to --- the organization is not going to like that. Assuming what you've told us is true, what they are doing is wrong, and it needs to be stopped.

We had a similar situation somewhat near me - it did not take long for it to get out that the National Organization had nothing whatsoever to do with this guy, and numerous problems have arisen from him - but NO respected official for 100 miles around will work for this guy anymore.

But don't do this if you're expecting to work for these guys again.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly I'm pissed.

You do one honest oversight and it's all over. It wasn't a blatant skipping out. I had reservations about the games all along. I had other work matters that apparently go me sidetracked. I followed up with both the coach and the assignor. I brought the matter to his attention immediately after refusing the games because I could not get the liability issue resolved in time.

How many other umpires has he placed in this unsanctioned league? He won't talk to me.

I'm not apologizing to the guy again, anymore than Sir William Wallace is going to apologize to Longshanks (Braveheart movie).

It's his job to stay on top of insurance issues and not pushing that matter of to the newcomer. If he's making the new guys doiing that important stuff, then what exactly do board members do that's different from the newcomers?

Again, one oversight and it's over. I busted him on something serious.
Then A) Why would you ever expect to work for this guy again and
B) Why would you WANT to work for this guy again.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Then A) Why would you ever expect to work for this guy again and
B) Why would you WANT to work for this guy again.
I have no other options. I love to ump....locally. I'm thinking I need to figure out how to take his job away so I can get back into the mix.

I want to compete for the job.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no other options. I love to ump....locally. I'm thinking I need to figure out how to take his job away so I can get back into the mix.

I want to compete for the job.
You have options. You were given one and you said you would never do that. You can't say you have no options when you discard the options when they are presented.

Like I said, you need to decide what you want... does your need for "justice" outweigh your desire to work.

Frankly, with all the responses so far it occurs to me that there's more behind this, and perhaps you've already been a thorn in people's side in the past. If true, this would explain the assignor's seemingly overly harsh response. Perhaps this was his final straw with you, or he was looking for a reason to close the book on you.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

In any case - good luck, I think you'll need it.

West Houston Mike