Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
As I said earlier I do not want to get sued. and remember I am in California where parents will sue you for anything they can.
Playing devil's advocate here, and speaking ASA , if you require a player to remove ,say little diamond studs, and she rips her earlobes, her lobes get infected, then a staph infection from the emergency room sets in....well couldn't her parents sue you for the judgement and decisions you made that set this all in motion.

Not saying the case is a winner..

Life is a wee bit short for myself to worry all the time about what if's.

Buy the extra ASA insurance, buy an umbrella policy, and short of doing something really stupid, you'll be financially covered.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The question really before the Forum is can the Player return at a later point in the game, assuming she is now legally equipped...
I agree that this question is most pertinent to the OP. I only work NFHS rules, and have always understood that the player who left, which resulted in the team continuing with only eight players, could not return to the contest. As I search the rules book and case book, however, I can find nothing that specifically prevents her from returning.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
In ASA, it is umpire judgment about danger. If judged dangerous, not allowed. PONY and USSSA go with NFHS version.
This is NOT the interpretation for PONY. The "judged dangerous" portion of the rule is applicable to the entire rule, not just to "any other items."
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 10:43am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, and speaking ASA , if you require a player to remove ,say little diamond studs, and she rips her earlobes, her lobes get infected, then a staph infection from the emergency room sets in....well couldn't her parents sue you for the judgement and decisions you made that set this all in motion.

Buy the extra ASA insurance, buy an umbrella policy, and short of doing something really stupid, you'll be financially covered.
I am very well covered insurance wise Full ASA and Naso due to working multiple Sports and levels. You only need to see one kid get hurt do to Jewelry to understand why I advocate no no Jewelry for kids sports.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually it's a standing joke that they can wear a wedding ring if their parents allowed them to get married.
So, you do have some tolerance for jewelry, but only for married individuals?

Quote:
Our State interpreter has instructed us to keep jewelry off the field (fed) other than what is permitted by rule.
And that is fine, it is their rule and if I work Fed ball, I apply Fed rules.

Quote:
As far as ASA I only allow adult players to wear jewelry other than hoop earring.
So a watch is okay? How about a ring with a protruding rock? Why do you give a damn about hoop earrings? Who are they going to hurt other than the wearer?

Pretty inconsistent here.

Quote:
As I said earlier I do not want to get sued. and remember I am in California where parents will sue you for any thing they can.
You can be sued over anything, doesn't make it valid. And they can try to get blood out of a rock all day, isn't going to help.

Quote:
Actually, the possibility of infection and/or piercings closing during a prescribed time following the procedure is often the excuse a player & mother (rarely father ) offer for keeping the stud in place. I love it when the coach almost seems embarrassed when the subject comes up, but s/he puts her in the line-up anyway.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 11:48am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So a watch is okay? How about a ring with a protruding rock? Why do you give a damn about hoop earrings? Who are they going to hurt other than the wearer?

Pretty inconsistent here.
No actually watches do come off. The teams in my area know that when I am working the game take them off.

When I say why I want it removed (for their safety) they thank me.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I say why I want it removed (for their safety) they thank me.
rubbish. They remove the watch so they don't damage it and have to get another one. Then again, so few people wear watches than before, it is rarely an issue.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And that is why YOU don't require a player to remove anything. You simply tell the coach that the player cannot play with it (whatever "IT" is, in your judgment), and put it back on the coach to make the decision if she plays (without that item) or watches (with the item).
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
And that is why YOU don't require a player to remove anything. You simply tell the coach that the player cannot play with it (whatever "IT" is, in your judgment), and put it back on the coach to make the decision if she plays (without that item) or watches (with the item).
A point that seems very hard to get across to even experienced umpires.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Not only that, don't tell them they have to take the bandages off their ears to show you that they are not wearing the dreaded jewelry..
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Not only that, don't tell them they have to take the bandages off their ears to show you that they are not wearing the dreaded jewelry..
Let's not forget about checking for studs or jewelry in other body parts. I'm sure that would go over big
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 11:58pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I really don't think this is the kind of thing that should be a personal decision -- it should be agreed to by the umpires groups in the area.

Having you make players take it all off while another umpire doesn't just leads to people thinking that we're all arbitrary and capricious in nature.
ASA rule 3-6-f makes it decision when I am working a game.

Quote:
Exposed Jewelry judged dangerous by umpire must be removed and may not be worn during the game. Religious or medical alert bracelets may be worn but must be taped to the body.
I have worked games with many an Umpire who does not care if they wear Jewelry but when we work together and they are on the plate they will let the Coaches know that they will not wear jewelry in this game.

No UIC will ever override the decision as it is solely up to the umpires that are working that game.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 12:07am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Let's not forget about checking for studs or jewelry in other body parts. I'm sure that would go over big
Whats funny is I have had some players ask if that means they have to take off other piercings.

My answer is I do not allow Jewelry and if it is visible it must come off.

As for Taped or Bandaged Ears this year for HS we where told to verify that they do not have earrings on under it. I found that to be strange as it goes against what we have been told for the past few years.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whats funny is I have had some players ask if that means they have to take off other piercings.

As for Taped or Bandaged Ears this year for HS we where told to verify that they do not have earrings on under it. I found that to be strange as it goes against what we have been told for the past few years.
How is Oy suggested that you verify?.
Verbal?, inspection?
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
See what I mean.