Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue View Post
Bulls**t the EN-VOUGE expression.

I had called a lookback rule in a 10U travel game (ASA) and the coach went ballistic on me. . .came running down the 3rd base line using the words BS about a dozen times. It was so obvious a call, my dead, blind dog could have made the call. Anyway, after letting him vent, he walks back to 3rd and I hear "I am going to call your assignor and tell him you have no damn clue. . .that was BS." To which I promptly warned him. . .he says "Great, I have somewhere else I have to be." Now, seeing it was a 90 degree plus day with high humidity and his bald head was beading with sweat, I didnt throw him out - your kids are suffering in this heat - well, so are you.

BUT THEN

After the inning, the opposing bench coach pulled me aside and told me that he wasnt going to take that coaches BS anymore. I asked him what happend and the opposing coach said that as the BS-yelling coach walked back to third base, he told the opposing coach to "Sit his fat *** back on the f*&^ing bench" (I wish I would have heard that).

Anyway, I called my assignor 20 minutes after the game, but the coach already beat me to it. . .that coach conveniently left out the BULL**** statements, the real scenario of the play and his comments to the other coach.

Well, after the game was over, the coach at 1B at the time of the LBRule play pulled me over and told me "That was 100% the right call blue, we teach this day in and day out. . . " not that I needed it, but i was VINDICATED

I am going to come down hard on you too. The instant the Coach charged out of the Coach's Box toward you screaming at you, he should have been told to keep on running to the parking lot.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue View Post
"You can come down on me. . .I am a big boy. Every umpire has a level of tolerance for (pardon the expression) BS. I have a trigger and it takes a little more than this for me to pull it. And I mean JUST A LITTLE!
No sir, your level of tolerance is awful. NO coach (manager or otherwise) should be allowed to do what you fully admit this coach did, and stay in the game. I see at least 3 ejections BEFORE your warning. Allowing this guy to stay in the game reflects poorly on you and honestly on all of us. Your defending of your actions is even worse.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

In my area, I see a reluctance to deal with coaches behaving badly. I have some ideas on why....don't want to be known as having a hair trigger, and a whole lot of wanting people to like them.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

The problem is - when a problem coach is not dealt with properly - there's a mess left for the next umpire to clean up. Anyone want to talk about a buddy-'F'-er?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Had 12U game, called IF. Offensive Coach comes out screaming "what kind of a call is that?" I said "coach, the infield fly rule is to protect your runners." His response, " so you called my batter out to protect us? Protection like that we don't need!"

Got to love it.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
Had 12U game, called IF. Offensive Coach comes out screaming "what kind of a call is that?" I said "coach, the infield fly rule is to protect your runners." His response, " so you called my batter out to protect us? Protection like that we don't need!"

Got to love it.
Wonder how he would feel about a triple play on such a hit?