The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Angry 6U Coach gone wild

I had an off and decided to go watch a 6u game to evaluate the youth umpires. While I was there the BU called the BR out out 1st and all of a sudden the OC come running across the field and starts yell at her. Telling her how bad she was, so on, and so forth (the young blue was only 15, the coach had to be in his late 20's). I could tell she was in horror she looked at me and I gave the eject signal. She did it and then start to walk away. The PU was also 15 and had no idea what to do so I ran onto the field stated to the coach I was the UIC and told him he had to come with me. He told me that he was not going to leave the game because his wife wasn't there and he would not leave his daughter. I told him that I respect that so I would give him time to pack up his daughter's gear and leave with her. He said nope so very politely I said you have two options. (1) Leave the park with your daughter, you are both done for the day, or (2) I will forfeit the game and your entire team can leave (elimination game). He took option 1, and the team took 2nd in the All Star Tourney.

Today I am teaching the YU how to write a report so this guy never coaches an ASA team again.

6U All Stars = WHY?
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post

6U All Stars = WHY?
My thoughts, also... (but maybe a somewhat broader context than you meant... maybe...)

On a more general issue, the young ages are the absolutely worst place (IMO) to place young umpires, and especially teenagers, because the AA's involved in these games have a much higher percentage of complete boneheads than older teams. These AA's use shameless intimidation, and the teenage umpires do not realize (or are not comfortable with) the fact that THEY are the authority figure, not the adult coach. Leads to a very high attrition rate.

I understand the reluctance to place young new umpires on higher level games, but casting them to the wolves is no solution, either. Good for you for stepping in and teaching your new umpires something. But, what about all the other games you were not able to be there for?

Last edited by Dakota; Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 10:06am.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

1. Why is there a 6U division with any type of rules?
2. Why are there umpires at this INSTRUCTIONAL level of play?
3. Why is ANYONE allowed to come out of the dugout to argue with anyone?

You wouldn't see me at such an event, even as a fan. And, IMO, this is NOT a good platform on which to train new umpires if you are going to let the coaches question anything other than how many innings a player gets to participate.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I think 3 of our local association have 6U All-Star games at their tournament. The YU are part of the league not our local ASA association. I went to evaluate at the YU request, she wants to get better. I started when I was 15 and no one ever helped me. I wish some one had.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The YU are part of the league not our local ASA association. I went to evaluate at the YU request, she wants to get better.
That is even worse if the league allows coaches to go after youth umpires.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
2. Why are there umpires at this INSTRUCTIONAL level of play?
Hey, they have to start somewhere. Like these umpires, I started at 15, and I had little to no guidance. It sounds like these umpires are just getting their start, and I commend them for giving it their best shot.

Quote:
3. Why is ANYONE allowed to come out of the dugout to argue with anyone?
He wasn't, and he got tossed for it.

Quote:
You wouldn't see me at such an event, even as a fan. And, IMO, this is NOT a good platform on which to train new umpires if you are going to let the coaches question anything other than how many innings a player gets to participate.
So... How are kids to learn the game? What's wrong with going to a game as a fan?

I agree, the coaches need to lighten up, and it sounds like there will be some follow-through on the coach regarding his attitude.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Most umpires I know agree that, at least as a general rule, the higher the level, the easier it is to officiate.

The semipro baseball I used to do was much easier than youth ball. College and high-level travel softball is far easier to work than rec league ball.

I can't even imagine umpiring 6-year-olds. The whole idea that kids that age can create any semblance of a real ball game is absurd. They need instruction and tightly controlled scrimmages, not sham competition.

And how do you evaluate an umpire who does 6-year-olds? Consistent strike zone? Mechanics? Rules knowledge?
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
Most umpires I know agree that, at least as a general rule, the higher the level, the easier it is to officiate.

The semipro baseball I used to do was much easier than youth ball. College and high-level travel softball is far easier to work than rec league ball.

I can't even imagine umpiring 6-year-olds. The whole idea that kids that age can create any semblance of a real ball game is absurd. They need instruction and tightly controlled scrimmages, not sham competition.

And how do you evaluate an umpire who does 6-year-olds? Consistent strike zone? Mechanics? Rules knowledge?
Couldn't agree more with this damn yankee.

I was lucky to the point that I got some help from the two adults working the same baseball league when I was 14. But that was only suggestions on mechanics, nothing on how to deal with the a@@holes.

I find it amusing when umpires proudly state "I don't do anything below (enter level here)". Grey is absolutely correct, the higher the level, the easier the game. All the crap about the "big boys" in SP being the whiners and criers is, IMO, just that, crap. Yeah, you may hear a little bit, but when it is over, it's over. I hear more inane BS at the local league level in one game than I have heard in all the nationals I have worked.

I'm not putting lesser experienced umpires at the lower levels. The 10U is where you need an umpire who can think and understand that if there is anyplace to employ common sense, this is it. I don't make any secret that if I ask an umpire to work 10U, it isn't due to lack of trust, but the confidence I have in the umpire.

6U & 8U should not be competitive ball. Of course, you have places in the softball world where people are still falling for the "scholarship" scam and go looking for a hitting/pitching coach right after their DD gets accepted to the local up-scale day care center.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Jun 15, 2009 at 01:21pm.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
6U All Stars = WHY?
Because you are using umpires when they should be calling their own games. That is not a sport and does not need officials to yell at.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wow.....two umpires officiating a 6U game!
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
6U & 8U should not be competitive ball. Of course, you have places in the softball world where people are still falling for the "scholarship" scam and go looking for a hitting/pitcher coach right after their DD gets accepted to the local up-scale day care center.
Yep... and this team was from one of the upper-middle class to upper class towns playing in a lower middle class to poor community.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
We do the same thing for our 10uRec.. not because of the play, but because we are using youth umpires and the way the coaches at times behave.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Exactly!

Tonight I have three women's 23U games - solo. I would love to have a partner that needs work on the bases.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Exactly!

Tonight I have three women's 23U games - solo. I would love to have a partner that needs work on the bases.
23U?

I'm on my way!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

unlike 6U.. definately some sport at 23U.