The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Shin Guards

I have the Diamond IX3 shin guards. I didn't like the way they came up so high over my knees so I cut out the knee guards 3 years ago - just have the real shin guards down. I started doing college ball this year and have been thinking about getting a different pair that would offer more protection. In addition, I took one of the knee this weekend that has really made me evaluate my life choices.

Been looking at the Davis Shins:

http://www.gerrydavis.com/mm5/category/Leg_Shin_Guards/product/B17PR126575

Anybody had these?? Any other suggestions?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
I have the Diamond IX3 shin guards. I didn't like the way they came up so high over my knees so I cut out the knee guards 3 years ago - just have the real shin guards down. I started doing college ball this year and have been thinking about getting a different pair that would offer more protection. In addition, I took one of the knee this weekend that has really made me evaluate my life choices.

Been looking at the Davis Shins:

Gerry Davis Sports: DaviShins Shin Guards

Anybody had these?? Any other suggestions?
I own both pairs. The problem with both is that neither have a third strap higher near the knee. They use this as a selling point ("no rubbing behind the knee), but I don't want my equipment to move. That can cause the knee to ride high or feel loose. I actually rigged my Davis guards with a third strap. I've since moved to the Diamond guards though.

I don't know what size you bought, but they do come in two sizes. Maybe the shorter size is better for you. The two inch difference makes a huge difference. Another way to get the guards to sit lower is to remove the toe plate (if you haven't yet). That allows the guard to sit about 1/2 lower. The plate really isn't necessary if you wear plate shoes. They actually tend to look goofy and get in the way if you are wearing plate shoes.

Just some ideas.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

after realizing most leg guards are for baseball, I went out and got some broomball leg guards. they are light and thin, so much so that I can wear them under my base pants with room. however, the elastic straps use velcro, not clips, so I had to mod the velcro so as not to snag the seams of my pants.

I have not had a problem using these, except once I took a hard shot to the shin and it stung a little.

D-GelŪ PROTEK
PVC Leg Guards / Pads