The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Need New Shin Guards

Well folks,

My old +POS shins died yesterday. they were the old BB316's, the Al Clark model guards. One guard has all the plastic cracked on them, the other broke two rivets as I tried to readjust the straps on it.

I loved these guards, they were light, fit well, and gave great protection.

What recommendations do you have for replacements?

Thanks!
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I recently posted a similar question after my Carlucci's became unrepairable. I purchased the top of the line Wilson's without any feedback. I would have given them away. Unless you enjoy doing puzzles all the time when the velcro gives out, don't consider them. I ended up buying the Douglas and really like them. I wish Douglas still made the West Vest!!!
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I just purchased a used pair of the Wilsons and I love them. Wore them in a college fall ball game, took a nice skipped fastball off of them, and it rebounded down halfway to third. Never felt a thing, and if the Wilson chest protectors are similar, count me in to buying one of those.

As far as the Velcro situation. My come apart easily at the knee, and have heard that same reply from others, but it's when they aren't on and in use. I think I'm going to try and replace the Velcro "hooks" with some thing industrial strength, or find a way to bond them. My temparary fix, sit in a chair when putting them on.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

First, I'm no skinflint when it comes to buying gear. Just ask my wife.

I've tried the gray and black WV shins, and the Douglas too. I've ended up with a pair of Cooper Hockey official guards that are butter. Coolmax lined, with three velcro straps. They fit me perfectly with my NB plate shoes. The Gerry Davis are a close second.

Someone recommended roller hockey officials guards, as they'd be cooler and lighter. I'll reporting on those, if I ever find them.

If you have a Play It Again Sports store near you, go there for used hockey shin guards, and take your plate shoes.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Well folks,

My old +POS shins died yesterday. they were the old BB316's, the Al Clark model guards. One guard has all the plastic cracked on them, the other broke two rivets as I tried to readjust the straps on it.

I loved these guards, they were light, fit well, and gave great protection.

What recommendations do you have for replacements?

Thanks!
Douglas.

No better protection exists and they aren't as bulky as Wilsons.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone been hurt by bad shinguards? Now I've be tagged by a ball with ill fitting ones above the instep, but my knees and shins are always safe with whatever guards I've been wearing. The cheap hockey ones I'm currently wearing breath better, fit better, are more comfortable, are thinner and are hindged for running. Now I'd never consider wearing a cheap chest protector, cup or mask. I'm I making a mistake here?
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 10:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Douglas.

No better protection exists and they aren't as bulky as Wilsons.
Amen to that! Loved my Douglas. What baseball?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I bought some Pro 9 shinguards that have Cool Max lining in them. The knee pads also come off. It's nice to be able to throw the Cool Max liners and the knee pads in the wash.

For the money they are very good.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Douglas shin guards are great and Douglas stands behind their product 100%.

Douglas Shin Guards
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Amen to that! Loved my Douglas. What baseball?
Need a new pair also to replace a pair of real comfortable Rawlings that I've had for years and just died from old age during fall ball. Based on what I've read hear, I'm going with the Douglas. I clicked on the link, saw the shin guards they had listed ($85), saw that you can order them in different lengths, have two questions:
1) Do they only offer that one style?
2) Can the upper knee cap be easily removed (I've always had trouble running in a pair with the upper knee cap)?

Thanks
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 05:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Need a new pair also to replace a pair of real comfortable Rawlings that I've had for years and just died from old age during fall ball. Based on what I've read hear, I'm going with the Douglas. I clicked on the link, saw the shin guards they had listed ($85), saw that you can order them in different lengths, have two questions:
1) Do they only offer that one style?
2) Can the upper knee cap be easily removed (I've always had trouble running in a pair with the upper knee cap)?

Thanks
1) Yes, only that style. Just measure from the middle of your kneecap to the top of your plate shoe metatarsal guard.

2) I'm not sure. I don't have them any longer and can't check for you. I sold them to BigUmp56 when I hung up the gear. Perhaps he, or some other Douglas owner can find out for you. I ran really well in them, surprisingly. They conform to your leg and allow for high-stepping and running.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Ugh

I did some shopping on the internet yesterday, and it is discouraging.

It seems that the number of manufacturers making umpire guards are very, very few.

Tons of people sell one of the two flavors of WV guards. All Star used to make umpire guards, which surprises me because I never saw them before yesterday. Diamond makes them in several different flavors, but I have never liked their equipment. Pro Nine makes them, and the there are the ultra light weight Davis model.

It seems that two or three other makers who used to have good ones don't make them any more. I am half tempted to make my own, as some guy on umpire.org is doing with building a new chest protector( http://www.umpire.org/modules.php?na...ewtopic&t=7072 ).

As to hockey shins, I have never found a pair long enough for me to use, and some guys who have used them say they are not meant for Baseball umpiring. If there are more than just one or two who have used them I would be interested in your experience.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 07:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
As to hockey shins, I have never found a pair long enough for me to use, and some guys who have used them say they are not meant for Baseball umpiring. If there are more than just one or two who have used them I would be interested in your experience.
Last summer a guy asked why I wear Cooper hockey shin guards and if they are protective.
I told him:
  • they were available the day I needed them 17 years ago
  • a puck hurts more than a baseball,
  • there are no hooks, just velcro,
  • they don't click-clack when I run.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did some shopping on the internet yesterday, and it is discouraging.

It seems that the number of manufacturers making umpire guards are very, very few.

Tons of people sell one of the two flavors of WV guards. All Star used to make umpire guards, which surprises me because I never saw them before yesterday. Diamond makes them in several different flavors, but I have never liked their equipment. Pro Nine makes them, and the there are the ultra light weight Davis model.

It seems that two or three other makers who used to have good ones don't make them any more. I am half tempted to make my own, as some guy on umpire.org is doing with building a new chest protector( http://www.umpire.org/modules.php?na...ewtopic&t=7072 ).

Look at the Gerry Davis model that he designed. Bought several years ago and its great. Only two straps but holds very well, have recommended to several others who have also liked the guard.

And the price is not bad either for a good quality piece.

Thansk
DAvid
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Look at the Gerry Davis model that he designed. Bought several years ago and its great. Only two straps but holds very well, have recommended to several others who have also liked the guard.

And the price is not bad either for a good quality piece.

Thansk
DAvid

I will second that - the Davis leg guards are very comfortable, and last. The protect well for FP softball, and can imagine they do as well for BB....