The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

shin guards

I recently decided to buy new shin guards and after looking around I decided on getting UmpShins. Ordered from Hoenigs, got them yesterday, and tried them on in my livingroom (no pants, not a pretty site)and they seemed great. However today I put them on with my regular pants and unfortunately they're too wide for my pants leg ( or pants leg is too narrow for the guards) fitting too tight. I didn't wear them them at all, just put them back in the box. I wish they worked for me because I did like the construction.

I know I could buy plate pants and solve the issue but I prefer field pants all around and I just bought three new pairs this year. Anybody use a "wrap around" (for lack of a better word) type of guard that fits closer around the calf/ankle? I could buy the same thing I've been using, basicly an older catcher gear pair, but I was looking for something a little better. Any ideas? I thought I'd ask here before I made any more mistakes.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Honigs makes a combo pant that looks decent on the bases, but will accomadate even over the knee shingaurds.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you take the knee piece off of your UmpShins, they will probably fit under your base pants. I have done that.

However, you would be better served to get 1 or 2 pair of the combo pants. I prefer the Cliff Keen to Honigs, but Honigs certainly has good stuff and gives very good service.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
If you take the knee piece off of your UmpShins, they will probably fit under your base pants. I have done that.
That's how I wear mine, and use base pants only.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

I also use the UmpShins but also use combo pants when wearing heather grey. When wearing blue pants I use just the base pants as I have not found any combos in that color. I started out using the UmpShins without the knee guards until I took a shot to the knee. I ended up removing the plastic from the knee guards and use just the padding. Has worked very well for me.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy
Any ideas? .
You have been given several ideas, all which go with buying the proper pants. I concur. Always use the right equipment for the right job. In this case, that would be purchasing some plate pants, or at least some combos. If you have several pair of field pants(given that name because they are not intended for plate use), then you can still use them when you are the BU.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.