The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
In another post titled equipment options, there was much discussion over chest protectors and masks. However, I need to replace my shin guards and I need to find one that has very good protection, but will also fit under the +POS plate pants.

Does anybody have any good recommendations? The West Vest shin guards are too bulky for the plate pants I wear currently, so that is why I wanted to ask around.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I've very please with my Honig's K10s. I switched from the +POS BB316 which I found too bulky.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 07:19pm
Veteran College Umpire

Last year I went from the POS BB315 to the POS BB313 - after 25 years of umping I decided to go with the lighter, somewhat less protective guards (the 313's don't have the instep protector, which used to be the first - and only - thing that would wear out on my 315's). After two seasons in D1 and Independant ball I can say I'm very satisfied.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you fellow umpires for your ideas and recommendations on the shin guards. I have recieved a few emails as well with suggestions as well.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 11:14pm
In Time Out

Shin guards

I bought a new set of Honig's and used them last year, and was very happy with them. They were light enough to run in, but strong enough to protect even the hardest shots.

One thing, I would strongly recommend adding the optional K301s. Because they are attached, but not rigidly, they did a great job of protecting the area above the instep just below the shin that fouls seem to find on me all too often.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpire11_2001
Thumbs up Davis Lite Shin Protectors by Itech

have you guys heard of the G.D. Lite Shin Protectors? i used them for one game and now i'm in the process of getting a pair. they're light and no metal latches. only 2 straps and when they lock in place they lock. it also includes 2 ankle pads for extra protection. like i said before they're light and you barely know they're there!!! let me know what you guys think. good, bad, yea, nay... whatever you guys know, let me know...

Jason
a.k.a. The Rook

Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Frankwag
I think a lot of your shin guard decision has to weigh on your stance behind the plate. Obviously you can't predict where you might get hit, but if you leave your thighs exposed you may want to look into getting the extended protection for the top of the knee and the area above the knee. It's saved me more than once.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your responses and ideas that you gave to my original post. I have been a lot of internet seraching over the past couple of days and I have nailed down firmly what pair of shin guards I am going to go with.

I have decided to go the new Gerry Davis I-tech shin guards that have been for just a short time. Scott Ehret(operations manager for Gerry Davis Sports) advised me that eleven major league umpires used them this year, and all those umpire gave very positive responses back from using them, so I am going to go them.

I will let all of you know what I think of them after using them a few times during the upcoming baseball season(which hard to believe is fast approaching again). Thanks again for all of the good suggestions that you gave to me.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Check http://www.umpire.org

Go to message boards and Swap Shop. A guy is offering to sell a set of I-techs there.

Roger Greene