The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
If it's absolutely clear to me what they are asking and it's absolutely clear to me which runner and base they're talking about, I would honor the appeal.

Years ago, the defense had to go through a recital in order to appeal a runner leaving early or missing a base. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to do that.

I think I can see where you're going with it, mb, and I believe I understand where you're coming from. You want no doubt that the coach or player is making an appeal on a specific runner. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I'd accept the question as being sufficient for a valid appeal. There's no difference between a player holding the ball and tagging the base asking, "did he leave early?" on a live ball appeal versus saying, "he left early." To me, it's the same thing, even though one was in the form of a question while the other was a statement of fact.
Dave,
That was - if I read it correctly - a question asked by a coahc during a dead ball. I copied below:

DHC comes out and says, "Isn't the second runner out?" I asked why. She said, "Because she passed the first runner when she missed the plate!" I explained that passing a runner only occurs when a runner physically passes a runner and since that did not occur in this situation, there is no out for passing a runner.

Then, the DHC says, "Well, she did miss the plate, didn't she?"

That's a question, not a live ball appeal and not a dead ball appeal - yet. I'm likely to ask this coach if an appeal is being made before I answer.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Dave,
That was - if I read it correctly - a question asked by a coahc during a dead ball. I copied below:

DHC comes out and says, "Isn't the second runner out?" I asked why. She said, "Because she passed the first runner when she missed the plate!" I explained that passing a runner only occurs when a runner physically passes a runner and since that did not occur in this situation, there is no out for passing a runner.

Then, the DHC says, "Well, she did miss the plate, didn't she?"

That's a question, not a live ball appeal and not a dead ball appeal - yet. I'm likely to ask this coach if an appeal is being made before I answer.
This is where the difference in how ASA and NFHS handle their appeals can make a difference. In ASA, the coach can't make a dead (and definitely not live) ball appeal on runners missing bases or leaving too soon. As such, this conversation is not nearly as likely to ever happen on the field, nor would it matter if a coach asked this question.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Here's where I am at on the initial post. Yes, in NFHS and NCAA rules, that is an appeal; the purpose of the dead ball appeal is to eliminate the hocus-pocus associated with baseball appeals, and establish a basic process where, if we grasp what the coach or player is asking, and it provides the necessary information (which runner, which base), we rule on it. But, until the runner has exhausted any opportunity to legally retouch (meaning, steps into dead ball territory), my response to the coach would be "I cannot legally accept an appeal at this moment".

In ASA, my response would be "Coaches cannot make an appeal on a missed base". By the time they figured that out and had an infielder make the appeal, I suspect the runner would have either remedied, or entered dead ball territory.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I believe you guys are reading more than I intended into my statement. I was replying to the OP. The question from the coach is in passing as he's finishing up a conversation with BU. I don't think that's nearly as clear as an appeal - and sounds more like fishing. Maybe I'm reading more into the IP than was there. But my intent was not "jacking around with the coach". I would say that if the coach called time, came out of the dugout directly to me and said the same thing, my reaction would be different - this is MUCH more obviously an appeal.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I believe you guys are reading more than I intended into my statement. I was replying to the OP. The question from the coach is in passing as he's finishing up a conversation with BU. I don't think that's nearly as clear as an appeal - and sounds more like fishing. Maybe I'm reading more into the IP than was there. But my intent was not "jacking around with the coach". I would say that if the coach called time, came out of the dugout directly to me and said the same thing, my reaction would be different - this is MUCH more obviously an appeal.
Right, which is kinda where I was going with it. You want to make sure there's no doubt that he's making an appeal before making a call. Sometimes, you have to nudge the coach along into doing it the right way.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.