The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

ASA slow pitch AA Rec. league. The batter hits a line drive to Left field and is on his way to second were F6 has blocked the bag with his leg while waiting for the ball. Runner slides into his leg..F6 catches the ball and slap tags runner and manages to sling the ball into right field.
Up pops the runner and he heads to third without ever touching second base and makes it without a throw. I had signaled delayed dead ball for the obstruction. Now the pitcher appeals the runner missing second base.
OK so I did not allow the appeal or at least I did not call the runner out because of the obstruction. No one really complained but after thinking about this for awhile I'm not so sure I shouldn't have called him out. So what would you folks have done?
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Once the runner was safe at 2nd there was no obstruction. The requirement for touching the base was real, and I believe an appeal should had resulted in an out.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. Obstruction does not remove the obligation of the runner to touch all bases or be in jeopardy of being out on appeal.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Throw my name on this pile. Unless you were prepared to protect this runner to 3B (I think it is obvious that should not have been the case), the runner passed the base to which he was protected. This is done at his own risk.

Now, there is one possible exception to this ruling. If F6 literally, LITERALLY blocked the entire base and gave the runner zero access, protection to 3B could be a possibility. How, you say? Because if F6 had blocked just the portion toward 1B, the runner could physically pass the base and then touch it from the other side. If F6 had the entire base blocked, that is also obstruction and the runner cannot be put out between 2nd & 3rd base.

Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you Mike. I would not be able to protect the runner to third base because he slid (it was described that way) so I assume the play was close.

Even bases awarded have to be legally touched in order. Isn't it a rule that in Co0rec if the guy is walked he gets two bases and must touch first before procedding to second?
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Baker
Even bases awarded have to be legally touched in order. Isn't it a rule that in Co0rec if the guy is walked he gets two bases and must touch first before procedding to second?
Yes.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Baker
... snip ... because he slid (it was described that way) so I assume the play was close.

... snip ...
For this case, your assumption might be ok, not necessarily as a general rule.