View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
NFHS.

One of our umpires had this happen last night:

Runners on 2B and 3B. Illegal pitch called by base ump. Pitch is not hit. Plate calls dead ball and awards runners one base. Runner from 3B misses home plate, is still in live ball territory, but is making no move to come back to touch the plate. Defensive coach requests time to ask the BU about the IP call. Passing the plate ump, he asks, "Did you see her miss the plate?"

1. Is this a dead ball appeal?
2. When a runner is advancing on a dead ball, when does she no longer have the right to return and touch the plate?

I can't speak for NFHS, but speaking ASA...

1 - It would be a dead ball appeal, but not a proper appeal. ASA does not allow the coach to make the appeal, it must come from one of the infielders. However, NFHS rules may differ.
2 - When she enters the dugout. I'd probably signal to the DC to wait a moment before coming out while baserunners are still completing their responsibilities. I might stall a little to see what the runner would do. Call time and brush the plate for a moment, check my line-up card. Just long enough for the runner to either enter the dugout or correct her mistake. It'll only take a few seconds for one thing or the other to happen.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.