Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
much agreed..the plate conference is not the place to give the coach any lessons in proper protocol or open invitations to disrupt the game with inane questions. if he has a legitimate inquirery thats fine but its much prefered to keep the coaches in the dugout where they belong
I agree 100%. I've sent more umpires home from national tournaments because they couldn't control coaches and manage the game properly than for any other reason. Umpire all games consistently. If you're going to say something at the plate conference in the first game of a tournament or season, you better say it on the last game. How do you know which coach is going to be present? How do I know what my partners have said in previous games.

Keep the coaches in the dugout. That is where they belong unless they are making a change, taking a conference or coaching a base. Why open the door and invite them out of the dugout? Why is there a need to say anything? That doesn't mean you can't talk to them when the time is right if it is appropriate. BUT DON'T PLANT THE SEED!

Umpires have a job to do. Game management is a huge part of that job and it is what separates average umpires from great umpires. Keeping the coaches in the dugout and keeping them quiet goes a long way to making sure the game runs smoothly.

The problem is when these milk toast umpires want to appease everyone by trying to be their friend. They sell their fellow umpires out. Now I have to deal with a coach saying, "Well the last umpire said I could come out." That is as obnoxious as "Well the last umpire let us play with [fill in the blank: jewelry, no chin straps, etc.]. Now I have to deal with a coach who thinks I'm abrasive because I just want to continue the game but the last umpire invited him to have a nice chat.