Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Single umpire or two-umpire system?
One umpire.

Rita
Old Sun Jul 17, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

In one neck of the woods, it is $35.50, another $38.50 - 1man, no new inning after 55 minutesIn another set of woods it is $28.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Here's what I might have done differently (and forgive me if I appear to be armchair quarterbacking it). When things really start going south, letting the game continue at its current pace may not be the best option. Sometimes, I'll stop the game, pull the coach(es) aside and calmly but firmly say something to this effect:

"Coach, the back and forth has got to stop, and it has to stop right now. I love a good game as much as anyone here, but it's getting a bit too heated for this field. So do me a favor, talk to your guys, let us make the calls and let's have a good game out there, got it?"

They usually get the message, but really, it's completely irrelevant. The game needs that momentary break for guys to just shut the hell up take a few breaths and let go of whatever just happened. It's not so much what I say to the coaches, it's the fact that the game needed that little break.
Good point. I addressed a player on the field, then the batter and another player of the other team. Better to call in both coaches and let them deliver the message for the reasons you gave.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2011, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
Good point. I addressed a player on the field, then the batter and another player of the other team. Better to call in both coaches and let them deliver the message for the reasons you gave.
Once you call time and go over to the coach(es), they usually pipe down for at least a while, because they want to listen to what's going on. I don't make a show of it, I just take my time going from behind the plate or the bases and over to the coach.

Players are like teenagers: they want to know "wtf's he saying to our coach?! " It's usually enough time to break the back-and-forth spiral.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.