The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
I am seeing more and more schools using rows of individual chairs in front of the bleachers to use as the team benches. This, obviously, is putting the players closer to the sideline. Often, the players feet are pretty much right there. One school I was at last year had a stage opposite of the bleachers and put the benches on that sidline. It was utterly ridiculous, running outside of that sideline was not even a possibility.

When I played in high school, I believe every school used the first row of bleachers for the team benches, thus giving a decent amount of space between the bench and the sideline.

NFHS 1-2-1 There shall be at least 3 ft (preferably 10 ft) of unobstucted space outside boundaries.

I almost laughed when I read "preferably 10 ft". That is rarely possible on the baseline and from my previous statements, getting 3 feet would be a luxury.

Where do you start with addressing this type of issue? Local association or with the state? Anybody else experiencing this?

Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
My guess would be almost everybody experiences it. But maybe not so much with player's feet less than three feet from in-bounds. In my experience, most bleachers opposite the player's benches have more room.

I guess I've just dealt with benches being close and ran on the floor as close to the sideline as possible.

I think if this is a problem I would talk to the school first, then mention something to the association if it really is a problem.

Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 04:13pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In high school, I'd think most gyms should have 3' of clearance nowadays, except for some older schools still being used.

On the lower levels though (JH/CYO), you are going to be lucky to have 3 feet available, simply because most elementary school gyms are literally bounded by the walls.
Just gotta make do in those situations.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

IU you would hate it here in Ohio. We have some old gymns that are played on a stage. Some old school that there full court is barely more than 1/2 of a real court.

you are lucky if you have enough room to move

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
In high school, I'd think most gyms should have 3' of clearance nowadays, except for some older schools still being used.

On the lower levels though (JH/CYO), you are going to be lucky to have 3 feet available, simply because most elementary school gyms are literally bounded by the walls.
Just gotta make do in those situations.
I think you're misunderstanding the initial post. The HS gyms have plenty of room between the bleachers and the sideline, but the school then puts a row of chairs for the players to sit on right next to the sideline. Happens all the time here. If you scoot them back, there is no room for spectators to walk between the chairs and the first row of bleachers. Since most schools around here do it, we just live with it.

Z
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I have experienced this additional row of chairs in front of the bleachers and on two occaisons last season I made it a point in warmups to have the site administrator ditch the chairs. I only did this since there was a bleacher that could accomodate the team just as well and I was not willing to risk an injury from something that could be prevented. Both schools had no problem in removing the chairs. I do not know if they continued the practice as it was towards the end of the season....we'll see this year.

My philosophy will be to have the change made if it is at all possible.