The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
had a first yesterday

NCAA game. Bottom of seventh home team down 6-5 with runners on second and third. The defense decides to intentially walk the batter to load up the bases. After two pitches, as the pitcher is starting to pitch to the batter, I as PU look over and see the catcher set up straddling the catcher's box line. I call an illegal pitch and advance the two runners, tying the game. Defensive coach complains that her catcher was inside the box but I explain she wasn't and I really didn't have much to watch for and clearly saw it. Visiting team scored 4 runs and home none in the eighth so no harm done. Dumb move catcher. Dave
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Field 2 Field of Play (for reference)
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Wasn't there a story a year or two ago about an umpire who made that call against a high school team, then got invited to that team's end-of-year banquet?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yep, that is what I am saying. One foot in, one foot clearly out. I could hardly believe it when I first spotted it. Must have been the weekend for stupid plays. This one, and the two stupid fouls in the Pitt vs Butler game. Dave
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I have seen that in an ASA tourny, got a pitching coach an early trip to the parking lot when he came out after the illegal pitch was called. I got to help him off the field after my partner asked him to leave nicely
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Wasn't there a story a year or two ago about an umpire who made that call against a high school team, then got invited to that team's end-of-year banquet?
This took place in Western PA (just north of Pittsburgh).

Yes, happened in the bottom of an extra inning to end the game. The defense was undefeated, and with that loss (that runner on third was the winning run) their season was over.

The umpire and team were presented the NFHS 2010 sportsmanship award.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
This took place in Western PA (just north of Pittsburgh).

Yes, happened in the bottom of an extra inning to end the game. The defense was undefeated, and with that loss (that runner on third was the winning run) their season was over.

The umpire and team were presented the NFHS 2010 sportsmanship award.
Yeah, I thought I'd bookmarked it, but it appears not.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Yep, that is what I am saying. One foot in, one foot clearly out. I could hardly believe it when I first spotted it. Must have been the weekend for stupid plays. This one, and the two stupid fouls in the Pitt vs Butler game. Dave
I have to say WOW - because I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside. But I have seen many umpires call this because they did not realize the dimensions of the catcher's box or the box was improperly lined. Sorry for doubting you.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to say WOW - because I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside. But I have seen many umpires call this because they did not realize the dimensions of the catcher's box or the box was improperly lined. Sorry for doubting you.
On top of that, the defensive coach comes out and tells me there is no way her catcher was out of the box. She said that her catcher is wearing cleats and there are no cleat marks where I say she was standing. I calmly tell her that there are hundreds of cleat marks on the field and that I am not going to identify which are her catcher's marks. She didn't argue after that. Dave
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On top of that, the defensive coach comes out and tells me there is no way her catcher was out of the box. She said that her catcher is wearing cleats and there are no cleat marks where I say she was standing. I calmly tell her that there are hundreds of cleat marks on the field and that I am not going to identify which are her catcher's marks. She didn't argue after that. Dave
Coaches say the cutest things.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
With all due respect to Wille Mays, any time footprints come up, the conversation is over.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... The defense decides to intentially walk the batter to load up the bases. After two pitches, as the pitcher is starting to pitch to the batter, I as PU look over and see the catcher set up straddling the catcher's box line. I call an illegal pitch and advance the two runners, tying the game. Defensive coach complains that her catcher was inside the box but I explain she wasn't and I really didn't have much to watch for and clearly saw it...
I just love to see a catcher, pitcher or coach having 4 fingers up towards the batter, informing me (as PU) the intentional walk.

Last season (Male FP), I clearly heard a coach calling me by name and pointing four fingers up. I couldn't believe defense would walk the batter. Can't remember why anymore, but it wasn't logic to walk him. But what to do when a coach want's to walk a batter? So I called dead ball and let the batter head for 1st base. Disbelieve by the team AND the batter, on my action. So I tell all the players out loud what I saw; their coach gave me the signal! Now this coach went crazy, he just wanted to know the count on the batter I just misread the sign's, oooooooooooooooops... ...
Batter comes back in the box to complete his at bat, then hit's a double. I just smiled back to my partner

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?