The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Question from 2004

I umpired NFHS softball in 2004. I could swear that at the time we were required to have navy blue ball bags even with grey pants

Anyone have a manual for that time?

Rita
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Without digging for 7 year old manuals, I can tell you this:

NFHS: The key phrase is:
From the NFHS 2011 Umpire Manual (page 19):

"A ball bag the color of the slacks is mandatory for the plate umpire. "

That being said, I can only remember seeing heather gray ball bags being used once on twice - and never by our higher ranked umpires
I really never looked up that rule before, but have been to many clinics (state and local) as well as State final games - I can count the number of gray ball bags that I've seen on one hand (OK, two hands if you count BOTH bags - ;-).
I have never had a negative evaluation due to using Navy Ball bags.
I don't know if this is an official State Waiver (I can't find anything in our State Guidebook) or just one of those things.

Also as I think back, I seem to remember using black bags several years ago - I don't know if that was because I didn't know better or that was specified....

Also, FWIW,
NCAA: From CCA Softball Umpiress Manual
(P49) says
"Navy Blue Ball Bags with no insignia or logo"
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Without digging for 7 year old manuals, I can tell you this:

NFHS: The key phrase is:
From the NFHS 2011 Umpire Manual (page 19):

"A ball bag the color of the slacks is mandatory for the plate umpire. "
It should be noted that NFHS really hasn't the authority to "mandate" anything as the state associations operate with complete autonomy. They have every right to adopt any or all portions of NFHS rules or manuals, but that is their decision, not NFHS.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

The 2011 NFHS Softball Rules Book that I have Under Rule 10-4-2 (pg 79) does not address the color of the ball bag. "ART.2...The proper uniform for an umpire consists of a powder blue shirt (pullover or button style), heather gray or navy blue slacks, navy blue jacket, pullover knit sweater, cap, and ball bag (plate umpire only). Shoes, socks and belt shall be black. If an undershirt is worn under the powder blue shirt, it shall be white and short sleeved." I always wear the navy bags, although it appears that gray is acceptable. I believe ASA has approved heather gray bags to be used with the heather gray pants this year.

Last edited by txtrooper; Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 11:01pm.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
My personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that a gray ball bag with gray pants looks about as stupid as navy pants with navy shirt (the Jack Lalane jumpsuit look) Dave
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
The 2011 NFHS Softball Rules Book that I have Under Rule 10-4-2 (pg 79) does not address the color of the ball bag. "ART.2...The proper uniform for an umpire consists of a powder blue shirt (pullover or button style), heather gray or navy blue slacks, navy blue jacket, pullover knit sweater, cap, and ball bag (plate umpire only). Shoes, socks and belt shall be black. If an undershirt is worn under the powder blue shirt, it shall be white and short sleeved." I always wear the navy bags, although it appears that gray is acceptable. I believe ASA has approved heather gray bags to be used with the heather gray pants this year.
Did you happen to read the manual???

Either way, in this case, it seems like the real issue is what does your State (or even local if you aren't doing post season games) association say.

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 07:47am.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

The information posted was pulled from the rule book; which does not address the ball bag color. I did go back and see it in the manuel page you referenced, although that does not change the fact that we still wear navy bags with gray pants in here.

Last edited by txtrooper; Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 08:40am.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
My personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that a gray ball bag with gray pants looks about as stupid as navy pants with navy shirt (the Jack Lalane jumpsuit look) Dave
How does matching the colors of ball bag and pants to avoid the sore thumb look offend the fashion police?
A uniform is a uniform, meaning sameness, "officialness", consistency with partner(s). Any color and any combination of colors that is prescribed is a uniform and has the effect of distinguishing officials from players and announces our authority/preparation.

Sure, green pants with pink polka dot shirts would take a while to gain acceptance with our fashionable/machismo cultural attitudes, and that would go against our need to be unobstrusive. But if prescribed that would be a uniform.

Just to be clear, I am always and strongly opposed to changing uniforms just for a different color, different style, different insignia; when a current uniform component is just fine and not deteriorated.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
The information posted was pulled from the rule book; which does not address the ball bag color. I did go back and see it in the manuel page you referenced, although that does not change the fact that we still wear navy bags with gray pants in here.
- As do I
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
(snip)
Just to be clear, I am always and strongly opposed to changing uniforms just for a different color, different style, different insignia; when a current uniform component is just fine and not deteriorated.

I agree... unfortunately sometimes the decision is not mine.

A few (maybe 5 or six) years ago, FHSAA changed their logo.
Just this year (or last) FHSAA changed the SIZE of the patch with the logo.
And guess what, they made it smaller, not bigger so if you glued it on, you have to replace the whole effin shirt!

Regular season, I don't think anyone really cares, but ......
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Here in California we have used heather gray pants and ball bags at least every year back into the mid nineties that I know of. I'ts interesting to find out other parts of the country think thats crazy.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I umpired NFHS softball in 2004. I could swear that at the time we were required to have navy blue ball bags even with grey pants

Anyone have a manual for that time?

Rita
I have a 2001 NFHS manual handy and under 10-4 it does not mention the color of the ball bag. I do have a grey one in my equipment bag though.

Joel
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

"ART.2...The proper uniform for an umpire consists of a powder blue shirt (pullover or button style), heather gray or navy blue slacks, jacket, pullover knit sweater, cap, and ball bag (plate umpire only)..."

I always interpreted this phrase as meaning navy blue slacks and jacket and pullover and etc, etc. In other words the navy blue was a descriptive for all of the following items(including ball bag). It doesn't state specifically "navy cap" so can we wear a grey one? As always it's up to the state/local organizations to set uniform standards.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
"ART.2...The proper uniform for an umpire consists of a powder blue shirt (pullover or button style), heather gray or navy blue slacks, jacket, pullover knit sweater, cap, and ball bag (plate umpire only)..."

I always interpreted this phrase as meaning navy blue slacks and jacket and pullover and etc, etc. In other words the navy blue was a descriptive for all of the following items(including ball bag). It doesn't state specifically "navy cap" so can we wear a grey one? As always it's up to the state/local organizations to set uniform standards.
If you want to read it that way you have to read it all the way through. heather gray or navy jacket, heather gray or nave pullover etc. Which I don't think is what was meant either.
________
fat woman Cams

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:46pm.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
How does matching the colors of ball bag and pants to avoid the sore thumb look offend the fashion police?
A uniform is a uniform, meaning sameness, "officialness", consistency with partner(s). Any color and any combination of colors that is prescribed is a uniform and has the effect of distinguishing officials from players and announces our authority/preparation.

Sure, green pants with pink polka dot shirts would take a while to gain acceptance with our fashionable/machismo cultural attitudes, and that would go against our need to be unobstrusive. But if prescribed that would be a uniform.

Yes I want to match my partner. But if I have the plate I am certain that the base umpire will not be wearing ball bags.

Rita