The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Had a little scare yesterday...

I was working a 10U fall-ball friendly with bkbjones yesterday, he had the dish. About an hour into the game, we finished the inning and met on the line, and he asked me to feel his chest... it's racing like you wouldn't believe. We asked one of the coaches if he had a parent who's a nurse or an EMT, and he does. We got bkbjones off the field, away from the players, and the EMT checked him out. Heart rate through the roof, and blood pressure way higher than normal.

Long story short the EMT called 911 and he was shipped off to the local ER. They got him stablized, medicated, the whole thing. I had one more game, then went to the ER to check on him. He was released last night, I drove him back to get his car at the park. He'll be ok.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:32am
Ref Ump Welsch

Same thing happened to one of our football officials here in the middle of a kid's CYO game. He ended up staying overnight in the hospital just for observation. He's alright now, but scary as hell.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Damn... Tell John we hope he gets better. The board's a little silent, and we need him to come liven it up.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I was working a 10U fall-ball friendly with bkbjones yesterday, he had the dish. About an hour into the game, we finished the inning and met on the line, and he asked me to feel his chest... it's racing like you wouldn't believe. We asked one of the coaches if he had a parent who's a nurse or an EMT, and he does. We got bkbjones off the field, away from the players, and the EMT checked him out. Heart rate through the roof, and blood pressure way higher than normal.

Long story short the EMT called 911 and he was shipped off to the local ER. They got him stablized, medicated, the whole thing. I had one more game, then went to the ER to check on him. He was released last night, I drove him back to get his car at the park. He'll be ok.
So...what was the diagnosis???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Hot mom, 3rd row.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Due to HIPAA requirements, I am not at liberty to say anymore than I already have.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Hot mom, 3rd row.
At a 10U game, you ain't kidding...

Actually, what got me to notice that something was up was the previous half-inning (before we met on the line), he had a pitch that the batter attempted to bunt at. The ball was killing worms, the batter attempted, he jumped, called a ball, ball went to the backstop, R1 on 1B went to 2B. I'm grinning the whole way to my position behind F6 because this was so obviously an attempt, I was amused that he missed it (he doesn't usually miss those). Someone finally asked him "blue, did she go?" He comes to me what seemed like an hour later with "did she go?"

It was his delayed check with me that made me notice something was weird. At the time I just wrote it off as him missing the pitch... but later realized that was when he first felt weird.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well, please give him our best, and let him know we're pulling for him!

The 10U Hot Moms can wait, though I've taken the liberty of ordering an indicator just for him.

Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

Just one more reason for partners to not pay attention to the between inning mechanics.

Think about it. If he didn't have you next to him, he may not have made the request of anyone else and went back behind the plate where only God knows what would have happened.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Due to HIPAA requirements, I am not at liberty to say anymore than I already have.
Anyone want to know how I feel about that?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Anyone want to know how I feel about that?
I hear ya.

Perhaps I should have said that, out of respect to John, and the fact that I don't want to spread his medical condition to anyone unless he says OK, I'd rather not say what his diagnosis/condition was, etc etc. That's his business to discuss with who he chooses, not mine.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I hear ya.

Perhaps I should have said that, out of respect to John, and the fact that I don't want to spread his medical condition to anyone unless he says OK, I'd rather not say what his diagnosis/condition was, etc etc. That's his business to discuss with who he chooses, not mine.
Agreed
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
That's probably not an accurate statement.
If, as a medical pro, you are involved in his care, you're subject to HIPAA.
If you're a friend, who has been told something, you are not subject to HIPAA.
In general, I'm with Mike - HIPAA is an overreaction to something that was very wrong. But it has had a major impact on the increases in the cost of health care - and none of us who regularly deal with HIPAA see it as more worthwhile than a hemmeroid
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's probably not an accurate statement.
If, as a medical pro, you are involved in his care, you're subject to HIPAA.
If you're a friend, who has been told something, you are not subject to HIPAA.
In general, I'm with Mike - HIPAA is an overreaction to something that was very wrong. But it has had a major impact on the increases in the cost of health care - and none of us who regularly deal with HIPAA see it as more worthwhile than a hemmeroid
You should see the impact HIPAA has had on IT. ALL sorts of restrictions and requirements on system architecture. You practically have to have a lawyer looking over your shoulder at all times in order to ensure your compliance.

Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
You should see the impact HIPAA has had on IT. ALL sorts of restrictions and requirements on system architecture. You practically have to have a lawyer looking over your shoulder at all times in order to ensure your compliance.
Man, that's where I see HIPAA daily - IT for a large health care organization.
That's where a major part of the cost increase for health care has come.