The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   had a first yesterday (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/65250-had-first-yesterday.html)

shipwreck Sun Mar 20, 2011 01:03pm

had a first yesterday

NCAA game. Bottom of seventh home team down 6-5 with runners on second and third. The defense decides to intentially walk the batter to load up the bases. After two pitches, as the pitcher is starting to pitch to the batter, I as PU look over and see the catcher set up straddling the catcher's box line. I call an illegal pitch and advance the two runners, tying the game. Defensive coach complains that her catcher was inside the box but I explain she wasn't and I really didn't have much to watch for and clearly saw it. Visiting team scored 4 runs and home none in the eighth so no harm done. Dumb move catcher. Dave

marvin Sun Mar 20, 2011 03:36pm

So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Field 2 Field of Play (for reference)

NCASAUmp Sun Mar 20, 2011 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 741676)
So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Wasn't there a story a year or two ago about an umpire who made that call against a high school team, then got invited to that team's end-of-year banquet?

shipwreck Sun Mar 20, 2011 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 741676)

Yep, that is what I am saying. One foot in, one foot clearly out. I could hardly believe it when I first spotted it. Must have been the weekend for stupid plays. This one, and the two stupid fouls in the Pitt vs Butler game. Dave

DaveASA/FED Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19am

I have seen that in an ASA tourny, got a pitching coach an early trip to the parking lot when he came out after the illegal pitch was called. I got to help him off the field after my partner asked him to leave nicely :D

Big Slick Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 741679)
Wasn't there a story a year or two ago about an umpire who made that call against a high school team, then got invited to that team's end-of-year banquet?

This took place in Western PA (just north of Pittsburgh).

Yes, happened in the bottom of an extra inning to end the game. The defense was undefeated, and with that loss (that runner on third was the winning run) their season was over.

The umpire and team were presented the NFHS 2010 sportsmanship award.

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 741979)
This took place in Western PA (just north of Pittsburgh).

Yes, happened in the bottom of an extra inning to end the game. The defense was undefeated, and with that loss (that runner on third was the winning run) their season was over.

The umpire and team were presented the NFHS 2010 sportsmanship award.

Yeah, I thought I'd bookmarked it, but it appears not.

marvin Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 741685)
Yep, that is what I am saying. One foot in, one foot clearly out. I could hardly believe it when I first spotted it. Must have been the weekend for stupid plays. This one, and the two stupid fouls in the Pitt vs Butler game. Dave

I have to say WOW - because I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside. But I have seen many umpires call this because they did not realize the dimensions of the catcher's box or the box was improperly lined. Sorry for doubting you. :o

shipwreck Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 741997)
I have to say WOW - because I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside. But I have seen many umpires call this because they did not realize the dimensions of the catcher's box or the box was improperly lined. Sorry for doubting you. :o

On top of that, the defensive coach comes out and tells me there is no way her catcher was out of the box. She said that her catcher is wearing cleats and there are no cleat marks where I say she was standing. I calmly tell her that there are hundreds of cleat marks on the field and that I am not going to identify which are her catcher's marks. She didn't argue after that. Dave

HugoTafurst Mon Mar 21, 2011 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 742004)
On top of that, the defensive coach comes out and tells me there is no way her catcher was out of the box. She said that her catcher is wearing cleats and there are no cleat marks where I say she was standing. I calmly tell her that there are hundreds of cleat marks on the field and that I am not going to identify which are her catcher's marks. She didn't argue after that. Dave

Coaches say the cutest things.:rolleyes:

CecilOne Mon Mar 21, 2011 02:14pm

With all due respect to Wille Mays, any time footprints come up, the conversation is over. :)

Dutch Alex Mon Mar 21, 2011 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 741642)
... The defense decides to intentially walk the batter to load up the bases. After two pitches, as the pitcher is starting to pitch to the batter, I as PU look over and see the catcher set up straddling the catcher's box line. I call an illegal pitch and advance the two runners, tying the game. Defensive coach complains that her catcher was inside the box but I explain she wasn't and I really didn't have much to watch for and clearly saw it...

I just love to see a catcher, pitcher or coach having 4 fingers up towards the batter, informing me (as PU) the intentional walk.:rolleyes:

Last season (Male FP), I clearly heard a coach calling me by name and pointing four fingers up. I couldn't believe defense would walk the batter. Can't remember why anymore, but it wasn't logic to walk him. But what to do when a coach want's to walk a batter? So I called dead ball and let the batter head for 1st base. Disbelieve by the team AND the batter, on my action. So I tell all the players out loud what I saw; their coach gave me the signal! Now this coach went crazy, he just wanted to know the count on the batter:mad: I just misread the sign's, oooooooooooooooops... ... :o
Batter comes back in the box to complete his at bat, then hit's a double. I just smiled back to my partner :cool: