The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Crete, Nebraska
Posts: 734
Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
had a first yesterday

NCAA game. Bottom of seventh home team down 6-5 with runners on second and third. The defense decides to intentially walk the batter to load up the bases. After two pitches, as the pitcher is starting to pitch to the batter, I as PU look over and see the catcher set up straddling the catcher's box line. I call an illegal pitch and advance the two runners, tying the game. Defensive coach complains that her catcher was inside the box but I explain she wasn't and I really didn't have much to watch for and clearly saw it. Visiting team scored 4 runs and home none in the eighth so no harm done. Dumb move catcher. Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Field 2 Field of Play (for reference)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Field 2 Field of Play (for reference)
Wasn't there a story a year or two ago about an umpire who made that call against a high school team, then got invited to that team's end-of-year banquet?
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Crete, Nebraska
Posts: 734
Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
So you are telling me that the catcher was outside the catcher's box? She was outside the outside line of the batter's box? The catcher's box is 8 feet, 5 inches wide. If she was outside the outside batter's box line then I agree, dumb move. But - I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside on an intentional walk.

Field 2 Field of Play (for reference)
Yep, that is what I am saying. One foot in, one foot clearly out. I could hardly believe it when I first spotted it. Must have been the weekend for stupid plays. This one, and the two stupid fouls in the Pitt vs Butler game. Dave
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 962
I have seen that in an ASA tourny, got a pitching coach an early trip to the parking lot when he came out after the illegal pitch was called. I got to help him off the field after my partner asked him to leave nicely
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Wasn't there a story a year or two ago about an umpire who made that call against a high school team, then got invited to that team's end-of-year banquet?
This took place in Western PA (just north of Pittsburgh).

Yes, happened in the bottom of an extra inning to end the game. The defense was undefeated, and with that loss (that runner on third was the winning run) their season was over.

The umpire and team were presented the NFHS 2010 sportsmanship award.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
This took place in Western PA (just north of Pittsburgh).

Yes, happened in the bottom of an extra inning to end the game. The defense was undefeated, and with that loss (that runner on third was the winning run) their season was over.

The umpire and team were presented the NFHS 2010 sportsmanship award.
Yeah, I thought I'd bookmarked it, but it appears not.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Yep, that is what I am saying. One foot in, one foot clearly out. I could hardly believe it when I first spotted it. Must have been the weekend for stupid plays. This one, and the two stupid fouls in the Pitt vs Butler game. Dave
I have to say WOW - because I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside. But I have seen many umpires call this because they did not realize the dimensions of the catcher's box or the box was improperly lined. Sorry for doubting you.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Crete, Nebraska
Posts: 734
Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
I have to say WOW - because I have never seen a catcher set up that far outside. But I have seen many umpires call this because they did not realize the dimensions of the catcher's box or the box was improperly lined. Sorry for doubting you.
On top of that, the defensive coach comes out and tells me there is no way her catcher was out of the box. She said that her catcher is wearing cleats and there are no cleat marks where I say she was standing. I calmly tell her that there are hundreds of cleat marks on the field and that I am not going to identify which are her catcher's marks. She didn't argue after that. Dave
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East Central, FL
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
On top of that, the defensive coach comes out and tells me there is no way her catcher was out of the box. She said that her catcher is wearing cleats and there are no cleat marks where I say she was standing. I calmly tell her that there are hundreds of cleat marks on the field and that I am not going to identify which are her catcher's marks. She didn't argue after that. Dave
Coaches say the cutest things.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,425
With all due respect to Wille Mays, any time footprints come up, the conversation is over.
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Almere (NL)
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
... The defense decides to intentially walk the batter to load up the bases. After two pitches, as the pitcher is starting to pitch to the batter, I as PU look over and see the catcher set up straddling the catcher's box line. I call an illegal pitch and advance the two runners, tying the game. Defensive coach complains that her catcher was inside the box but I explain she wasn't and I really didn't have much to watch for and clearly saw it...
I just love to see a catcher, pitcher or coach having 4 fingers up towards the batter, informing me (as PU) the intentional walk.

Last season (Male FP), I clearly heard a coach calling me by name and pointing four fingers up. I couldn't believe defense would walk the batter. Can't remember why anymore, but it wasn't logic to walk him. But what to do when a coach want's to walk a batter? So I called dead ball and let the batter head for 1st base. Disbelieve by the team AND the batter, on my action. So I tell all the players out loud what I saw; their coach gave me the signal! Now this coach went crazy, he just wanted to know the count on the batter I just misread the sign's, oooooooooooooooops... ...
Batter comes back in the box to complete his at bat, then hit's a double. I just smiled back to my partner
__________________
Sander




Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I wasn't at my best yesterday, please help! LIIRISHMAN Softball 37 Mon May 18, 2009 05:13pm
Passed on a T yesterday, why? Coltdoggs Basketball 32 Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14pm
Had a little scare yesterday... SRW Softball 28 Fri Oct 26, 2007 04:45pm
Yesterday was not fun... AlabamaBlue Softball 9 Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:13pm
Had a live one yesterday mikesears Basketball 16 Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:19am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1