The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Last year in 4th final game (best of 5 series) mens dutch championship. I'm PU and have a wonderfull time behind the plate. Calling a big zone makes all fielders happy, on both sides...
Then I take a foul on my left underarm. It really hurts! Then F3 askes very loudly, he didn't move from his position: "Hee blue, I hope that isn't your strike-arm, is it?"

Both teams and the crowd never stoped smiling after they were done laughing... As I said I had a wonderfull time

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Women's class A state. Pre-game a team shows up in basketball jerseys with mismatched sportbras underneath. We call the tourney director over and both coaches. The decision is made to allow them to play that game but they need to change for their next game.

As base umpire I go over to the offending team in 1st base dugout to explain what they need and where they can go to get it and to take care of the bat check. One of the players stands up facing me and says "no problem, not wearing one" and proceeded to prove it.

It was very hard for me working the bases when she was out playing 2nd.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue View Post
Women's class A state. Pre-game a team shows up in basketball jerseys with mismatched sportbras underneath. We call the tourney director over and both coaches. The decision is made to allow them to play that game but they need to change for their next game.

As base umpire I go over to the offending team in 1st base dugout to explain what they need and where they can go to get it and to take care of the bat check. One of the players stands up facing me and says "no problem, not wearing one" and proceeded to prove it.

Pun intended?

Gotta love women's games. I think they get a kick out of trying to embarrass us like this.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue View Post

Was she at least cute?

And did your wife appreciate it later?
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Was she at least cute?

And did your wife appreciate it later?

And speaking of which, how here have had the 'problem' of a C wearing a thong, and uni bottoms that let u KNOW she is wearing a thong?? Distracting to say the least.......
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

SIT 1: As PU, things were going well except for one lady in the stands. After several innings of complaining, I casually mention to the catcher, "Wow. She certainly is into it." No response.

A couple of pitches later I say to the catcher something like, "I wonder what's got her in such a mood." No response.

Then after another rant I didn't quite understand, I said, "Well, I hope her kids not getting embarrassed." Catcher turns around and yells, "Mom, would you shut up." I felt about 2 inches tall and didn't say another word.

SIT 2: Late night Friday of a weekend tournament. It's late in the last game of the night and only two young, good looking, sweet voiced mom's are still in the stands. They are talking with each other and I think they are not watching the game. After an outside corner strike call that one mom disagreed with, she heckles me quite loudly, "Well, I certainly hope you learn to distinguish a ball from a stike by the morning." I'm not sure I've ever been heckled so elegantly.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Yes, very cute.

Mens SP, liner deep left nearly to fence. SS goes out to get the relay. Batter takes wide turn at 2nd as ball is coming in to SS who turns firing. I go set. Batter dives into 2nd, where 2nd basemen brings down a swipe tag just a bit before the ball got to his glove.

Next morning front page of sports section caption of photo of me with arms outstretched and both players looking up at me in horror and the ball still in the air after deflecting off me "Umpire signals runner safe at the ..."
It should have read "Umpire screams in a very high pitch while trying to remember what Bill Cosby said..."

I did not clip it out to save.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

12-u rec
Pitch is high
Batter checks swing
Batter turns to me and said, "Did I go, Blue?"
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
SIT 1: As PU, things were going well except for one lady in the stands. After several innings of complaining, I casually mention to the catcher, "Wow. She certainly is into it." No response.

A couple of pitches later I say to the catcher something like, "I wonder what's got her in such a mood." No response.

Then after another rant I didn't quite understand, I said, "Well, I hope her kids not getting embarrassed." Catcher turns around and yells, "Mom, would you shut up." I felt about 2 inches tall and didn't say another word..
Funny story, but I think there is a lesson here about gabby umpires.

The first no reponse should have been your clue.
Certainly the second.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

What's the count?

My story - Doing JO 18 Gold at the Las Vegas Classic a few summers ago. College coaches watching these two very good Cali teams & I'm PU.
Pitcher throws a very hard inside 38' drop ball - one hops over the catchers's glove and nails me in the beans & frank.

Coaches call immediate time out (very cool) but my partner then asks from the B position "What's the count? One ball or two?"

Everyone laughed after about 5 minutes we resumed the game once I regained feeling. Oh yes I had protection.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not mine, but another umpire, call him John Smith for this story, in our association...

Fall JC game...John is the BU being looked at by our assignor for addition to the staff. Coach A has a reputation for playing mind games with umpires.

My buddy has a banger at first, calls the Team A player out. Here comes the coach...

John (as coach approaches): Coach, I know that I'm the newbie out here and you are probably coming out here to see what I will take from you, so let's go ahead and get it over with so we can play ball.

awkward pause.....

Coach (somewhat stunned): So...you have an out call?

John: Yes, Sir.

Coach: You're not going to change that?

John: No, Sir

Coach: What's your name?

John: John Smith

Coach: I like you, Smith!

Coach turns and walks back to his dugout.....
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
I was PU in a JUCO game. Ball slips out of the pitcher's hand during the windup and rolls toward the 3B line. I call a ball, F5 picks it up, and the catcher looks up at me and says, "Did she go, Blue?"
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthegame View Post
Pitcher throws a very hard inside 38' drop ball - one hops over the catchers's glove and nails me in the beans & frank.
Doing World Series games this summer in Florida, my PU took a direct shot to the cup bringing him to his knees. Just before play resumed F3 says to me "I wonder if his twinns are talking to one another yet?"

The team that was at bat referred to the PU as "McNuggets" for the rest of the tournament.

I know it was a long plane ride for him back to Texas when the tournament ended.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
One more that I previously posted, but it's really good.

JUCO State Tournament. 3-umpire mechanics. PU is in good position to see the tag by F2, but was blocked from seeing her drop the ball and quickly scoop it back up. Offensive team in 1B dugout sees it and the immediate outcry causes my partner to call the BUs in to talk. We both saw the ball on the ground, so he changes his call to SAFE. Defensive coach comes out saying, "You can't let them change your call!" PU responds, "They didn't change my call coach. They offered me a veritable plethora of information that I did not previously possess."
Old Sat Sep 25, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Earlier in this thread there was a post about wearing fast pitch shoes in men’s slow pitch. I thought that was funny as heck and wondered if it would work. Last night I was doing a local men’s slow pitch with a couple of good hearted fun teams. In the third inning the home team pitcher was giving me a fun ribbing about a ball that he thought was a strike but it missed the mat by just about an inch. It was all in good fun.

Between innings I went to the coach of the home team and with as straight a face as I could muster told him that the opposing team had brought to my attention that the pitcher was wearing illegal shoes. The shoes he had a had a fast pitch logo on the back. The pitcher was now coaching 3rd base and the coach went out to talk to him. He looked at the back of his shoes, his coach looked at the shoes and at the end of the inning his teammates looked at his shoes. He even asked players from the opposing team to explain to him what the issue was with his shoes. When he finally figured it out but teams just lost it and laughed their heads off.

Before his first pitch I asked him "So pitch, was that call in the last inning a ball or a strike?" Everyone went crazy laughing again. Thanks to the person that posted it earlier, we all had a good time because of it.