The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to camaulds
Smile

The latest story on the football page includes funny conversations between Officials and Coaches. We are invited to share any humorous conversations we have had. Here's one of mine.

The area of Michigan known as the thumb is known for it's small communities and their rabid devotion to their teams. The following the local teams have is impressive indeed. Our crew had the big game of the year between two of the thumb area's better schools. The place was soaked with fans as both communities turned out to support their kids. The air was literally alive, every breath filled with electricity.

The game was intense and close. It was also well played with no instances of unsportsmanlike conduct. This game was the definition of what High School football should be.

On a play near team B's goal line team A ran a sweep to my sideline (Line Judge). After a short gain the players unpiled but one team B player was left on the ground screaming in agony. Yes, he was screaming and everyone in the place could hear it. Fearing a catastrophic injury both sides gathered around and the coaches and trainers were summoned. As they came on the field the player told me "I forgot my cup!" "They're up in my stomach!" I told the player "well son, for heaven sake grab your knee or everyone in the stadium is gonna know!"

Having heard this exchange players from both sides began to turn away laughing. The coaches just arriving on the scene said "Oh no, a knee injury" and began to chastise their players for laughing at their fallen teammate. I told the Head Coach "He forgot his cup and I told him to grab his knee or everyone here is gonna know." Instantly the coaching staff and trainers were overcome by the humor of the situation and the embarrasment for the kid. This poor kid is rolling around on the ground with "an agonizing knee injury" while players from both teams, coaches and trainers stand around smiling and laughing. A few coaches and players were actually doubled over. Yes, even the Officials had to gather together "in conference" to avoid allowing the mirth to show on our faces.

That was the scene as it appeared to the thousands of fans gathered at the field. An uncomfortable silence had enveloped the crowd. Both sides could still hear the young man moaning and could see him rolling on the ground clutching his knee. They had no idea what was so funny and were ready to hang the coaching staff for their insensitivity. This made the situation even more awkward and all the more humorous.

The truth soon spread through the stands and the coach's lives were spared. The kid played later in the second half after "adjusting his equipment at half time." I assume that included a little stomach surgery to put "them" back in place.

The game was still intense but the feel of it was different after that. If you have had a good laugh together the way all sides had that night the mood is bound to be different and you have a story to tell forever after that.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I'll help you out!

Last season, our crew worked a game at a high school where three of us are known to a lot of people in the community. We usually get a game or two at this school each year.

Anyway, we're in the 3rd quarter with the home team facing a 4th & 8 situation. The ball is snapped, I, the LJ, break down field to officiate the coverage and the punt reception. Taking a quick look over my shoulder, I see that the punt is very, very high and very, very short. The players are rushing downfield. Our umpire does a 180, and is now facing the punt receiver when....you guessed it! I yelled but it was too late! Our U gets nailed right on the top of the head with the punt! The ball bounces behind the previous LOS where the punter falls on it, obviously not knowing he could advance it. It's a good thing that he didn't because I had tears in my eyes from trying not to laugh!

I still get asked about that play from time to time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith