The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

View Poll Results: What is the role of the umpire?
Arbiter: There solely to make judgments based on the rules. 31 79.49%
Teacher: While arbiters, we help with getting players/coaches familiar with the game/rules. 5 12.82%
Field General: To run every aspect of the game. 2 5.13%
Representative of PARD/HS: There to be a rep for the Parks and Rec or local/state HS association. 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

The role of the umpire.

How do you see our role in sports? Primarily, but not limited to, youth sports (K-12).

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I can see some compelling arguments for all 4, though I'll side with arbiter.

It really depends on what exactly it is you're calling.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
How do you see our role in sports? Primarily, but not limited to, youth sports (K-12).
I'll choose all but the "field general." My answer depends on the age group and level. Sometimes you can help coaches/players make the game run more smoothly. Sometimes you're the representative of the park/rec group. At Fed and above, you're the arbiter.

Last edited by argodad; Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 02:04pm.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

You know, I find it funny that folks automatically assume that younger ages mean unexperienced coaches. Often, this is not the case. As a matter of fact, in my earlier years I used to, like so many people, announce the number of outs after each batter. I quit doing this because I was asked by the coach of a 12U team to stop, because he felt like I was coaching his team. He told me that they need to learn the game situation for themselves, and that included knowing how many outs there were. Point taken. After that, it didn't matter if I was working 8U or adult ball, I let the coaching/teaching get done (or not done, as the case may be) by those appointed to coach.

As a professional educator, trust me, I know how muddy the waters can get when there are too many people trying to ford the stream. Let the coaches coach. That is not, at any level, our job.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Wed Aug 25, 2010 at 02:39pm.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed Skaht.

1 exception may be those rare instance where I'm working 10U and the catcher is having problems. I might help that coach teach that player after the game. One, because I have a soft spot for catchers, that being my position of choice growing up, and Two - well, having this catcher improve her skill has a direct effect on my health!

Another possible teaching moment comes from IP's when it's clear that the coach REALLY doesn't understand what we're saying the pitcher is doing wrong.

A last exception is safety related. Any time I see the oblivious (and usually called but no penalty) obstruction by a fielder watching the ball rolling around in the outfield while runners are trying to get by, I make a point of addressing it between innings, assuming things are civil at that point, and especially at the beginning of a season. Coaches never see that you signalled it (especially early), so it's going to repeat and repeat and repeat until someone gets hurt.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
1 exception may be those rare instance where I'm working 10U and the catcher is having problems. I might help that coach teach that player after the game. One, because I have a soft spot for catchers, that being my position of choice growing up, and Two - well, having this catcher improve her skill has a direct effect on my health!

Another possible teaching moment comes from IP's when it's clear that the coach REALLY doesn't understand what we're saying the pitcher is doing wrong.

A last exception is safety related. Any time I see the oblivious (and usually called but no penalty) obstruction by a fielder watching the ball rolling around in the outfield while runners are trying to get by, I make a point of addressing it between innings, assuming things are civil at that point, and especially at the beginning of a season. Coaches never see that you signalled it (especially early), so it's going to repeat and repeat and repeat until someone gets hurt.
Exception 2 is simply explaining my call. My intent would not be to teach anything.

Exceptions 1 and 3 are not my job.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

As a game official, I'm there to officiate a game.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I say Arbiter, although our league board of directors has asked the UIC and umpires to work with coaches and to explain rules during Fall Ball, if necessary. Have any of you been asked to work with recreational softball coaches during the fall season?
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

yes

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Arbiter.

And if done correctly, it will contain the other three.

You will teach the rules by properly enforcing them and answering any possible questions.

You will be the "General" in that you have the final say on the field (as a crew).

And even though we are independant contractors, there is an association who sent us.