The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Pay

After doing a pretty in depth google search, I'm coming up with pretty much zilch regarding pay for umpires who work MABL/MSBL. Yes, I have an agenda. Go figure. A first year rookie with black tennis shoes makes the same as a seasoned, knowledgable ump . What wrong with this picture? Does anyone wish to share the info on their game fees? And would you be willing to tell the "powers that be" to suck wind if their league can't adjust for quality. The guys who hits .750 gets more at bats than the guy who doesn't. Why the difference with umps?
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardball3b
The guys who hits .750 gets more at bats than the guy who doesn't. Why the difference with umps?
The better umps usually get more games.

I don't know of any amateur league that pays on the basis of seniority. Normally the weaker umpires work lower level games which pay less. That takes cares of your pay concern.

If your assignor either decides to, or needs to, use a less experienced umpire at a higher level, that's his issue, not the leagues. The league pays for coverage.

Around here MABL and MSBL pay $55 and an assigning fee.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Plus the best umps (usually) get the post season rewards. Sometimes those games pay a premium.

D
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:53am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardball3b
After doing a pretty in depth google search, I'm coming up with pretty much zilch regarding pay for umpires who work MABL/MSBL. Yes, I have an agenda. Go figure. A first year rookie with black tennis shoes makes the same as a seasoned, knowledgable ump . What wrong with this picture? Does anyone wish to share the info on their game fees? And would you be willing to tell the "powers that be" to suck wind if their league can't adjust for quality. The guys who hits .750 gets more at bats than the guy who doesn't. Why the difference with umps?
Old Guard and Old Dogs who run ump orgs and take for themselves. There is little fair in ump orgs.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 03:07pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Old Guard and Old Dogs who run ump orgs and take for themselves. There is little fair in ump orgs.
With your obsession with calling those we don't know "old guard" and "old dogs", I can only assume that you are as guilty as the next guy....given the chance. This is the talk of somebody who is left out because nobody likes you in your association. Every association has a guy like you.

MSLB pays around $60 a game, plus mileage here. Many of the best umps don't want to work it because it is either crappy ball, or the attitudes stink bad. I myself limit the amount of these guys I will do. I don't mind the NABA 18 and older wood bat league, and the NABA 40 and over wood bat league is better now that they use wood bats. But the 28 and older leagues of MSBL and NABA are metal bats, and usually full of all the wrong attitudes. I would rather do games for the new Latino League that started. At least there, I don't understand that they are *****ing about nothing.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 01:16pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
With your obsession with calling those we don't know "old guard" and "old dogs", I can only assume that you are as guilty as the next guy....given the chance. This is the talk of somebody who is left out because nobody likes you in your association. Every association has a guy like you.
Not like The Deej, c'mon, you kidding? Talk? Oh, no, are they using fowl language?

Quote:
MSLB pays around $60 a game, plus mileage here. Many of the best umps don't want to work it because it is either crappy ball, or the attitudes stink bad. I myself limit the amount of these guys I will do. I don't mind the NABA 18 and older wood bat league, and the NABA 40 and over wood bat league is better now that they use wood bats. But the 28 and older leagues of MSBL and NABA are metal bats, and usually full of all the wrong attitudes. I would rather do games for the new Latino League that started. At least there, I don't understand that they are *****ing about nothing.
The Lats, the DRs, the PRs and the like get foisted to left-over fields where they pay cash and get no organization. A lot of it is excellent ball b/c they got 24 players and if you boot one, you're butt's likely to sit.

If you are having trouble with your adults then you need to get an ump Head with a pair on him. Our guy provided exceptional quality umps, $100 - $125 a game, up for tourney semis and finals and we don't do the over 35s b/c they suck and they won't pull in the reins on their arsebutt players. So they get the dreg umps and deserbe them for a whole $55 per game. Its Sunday ball some guys like it and to a one, they are Old Guard Dawgs.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

After hearing all these money figures- $55, $60, $125- I'm kind of envious of the people who work in America. Ontario umpire pay sucks!
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 08:01pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
After hearing all these money figures- $55, $60, $125- I'm kind of envious of the people who work in America. Ontario umpire pay sucks!
I started @ $4/game when you had to call an entire Sat or Sun or at least half of it, no time limited games
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Uhm ....

Quote:
I started @ $4/game when you had to call an entire Sat or Sun or at least half of it, no time limited games
With that "I had to walk through hip deep snow, both ways, to get to the ballpark" story, Grandpa, doesn't that make you one of the (*gasp*) Old Dawgs?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:44pm
BigGuy

I started in 1972 at the ripe old age of 15, doing games for the 9-12 and 13-14 kids. The lowest levels Bronco B and Bronco A I got $4 a game. Move up to the Bronco Majors and you got $4 for bases and $6 for plate. Pony was $4 and $8. Now I get $51 to $66 for 13-14 all the way to Adult NAHA. $51 for a two hour game I can't complain about. How many people can say they make $25/hr for a part time second job? I do it because I love it. If it was only $40 a game, I'd still do it.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:02pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
I'm retired and I'm not old enough to have been around for $4 game fees for a decent level of ball.

Perhaps it was an indecent level of ball.
Some ofit was, we would get fast pitch Men's (joy), slow pitch, late night drunk sofball(call the cops) and everything hardball in between.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I do it because I love it. If it was only $40 a game, I'd still do it.
Would you do it for nothing?
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:04pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp
With that "I had to walk through hip deep snow, both ways, to get to the ballpark" story, Grandpa, doesn't that make you one of the (*gasp*) Old Dawgs?
The definition fo Old Guard Dawg is not in age but in the head and heart.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Can't speak for any minor league ball, but in CT - 55 a game is the negotiated rate from the association.

In NC - 33.50 a game for USSSA 2 hour time limit...
- still good enough for spring break and beer money.