The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The role of the umpire. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58918-role-umpire.html)

Skahtboi Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12am

The role of the umpire.

How do you see our role in sports? Primarily, but not limited to, youth sports (K-12).

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:15am

I can see some compelling arguments for all 4, though I'll side with arbiter.

It really depends on what exactly it is you're calling.

argodad Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 690075)
How do you see our role in sports? Primarily, but not limited to, youth sports (K-12).

I'll choose all but the "field general." My answer depends on the age group and level. Sometimes you can help coaches/players make the game run more smoothly. Sometimes you're the representative of the park/rec group. At Fed and above, you're the arbiter.

Skahtboi Wed Aug 25, 2010 01:53pm

You know, I find it funny that folks automatically assume that younger ages mean unexperienced coaches. Often, this is not the case. As a matter of fact, in my earlier years I used to, like so many people, announce the number of outs after each batter. I quit doing this because I was asked by the coach of a 12U team to stop, because he felt like I was coaching his team. He told me that they need to learn the game situation for themselves, and that included knowing how many outs there were. Point taken. After that, it didn't matter if I was working 8U or adult ball, I let the coaching/teaching get done (or not done, as the case may be) by those appointed to coach.

As a professional educator, trust me, I know how muddy the waters can get when there are too many people trying to ford the stream. Let the coaches coach. That is not, at any level, our job.

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 25, 2010 02:13pm

Agreed Skaht.

1 exception may be those rare instance where I'm working 10U and the catcher is having problems. I might help that coach teach that player after the game. One, because I have a soft spot for catchers, that being my position of choice growing up, and Two - well, having this catcher improve her skill has a direct effect on my health!

Another possible teaching moment comes from IP's when it's clear that the coach REALLY doesn't understand what we're saying the pitcher is doing wrong.

A last exception is safety related. Any time I see the oblivious (and usually called but no penalty) obstruction by a fielder watching the ball rolling around in the outfield while runners are trying to get by, I make a point of addressing it between innings, assuming things are civil at that point, and especially at the beginning of a season. Coaches never see that you signalled it (especially early), so it's going to repeat and repeat and repeat until someone gets hurt.

topper Wed Aug 25, 2010 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 690120)
1 exception may be those rare instance where I'm working 10U and the catcher is having problems. I might help that coach teach that player after the game. One, because I have a soft spot for catchers, that being my position of choice growing up, and Two - well, having this catcher improve her skill has a direct effect on my health!

Another possible teaching moment comes from IP's when it's clear that the coach REALLY doesn't understand what we're saying the pitcher is doing wrong.

A last exception is safety related. Any time I see the oblivious (and usually called but no penalty) obstruction by a fielder watching the ball rolling around in the outfield while runners are trying to get by, I make a point of addressing it between innings, assuming things are civil at that point, and especially at the beginning of a season. Coaches never see that you signalled it (especially early), so it's going to repeat and repeat and repeat until someone gets hurt.

Exception 2 is simply explaining my call. My intent would not be to teach anything.

Exceptions 1 and 3 are not my job.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 25, 2010 07:09pm

As a game official, I'm there to officiate a game.

txtrooper Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:16pm

I say Arbiter, although our league board of directors has asked the UIC and umpires to work with coaches and to explain rules during Fall Ball, if necessary. Have any of you been asked to work with recreational softball coaches during the fall season?

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 26, 2010 09:14am

yes

JEL Thu Aug 26, 2010 09:35am

Arbiter.

And if done correctly, it will contain the other three.

You will teach the rules by properly enforcing them and answering any possible questions.

You will be the "General" in that you have the final say on the field (as a crew).

And even though we are independant contractors, there is an association who sent us.