The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Long hit down the 3B foul line, stays in the air. LF running like a bat out of hell towards it. I'm PU (slow-pitch, 2-umpire), and running down the 3B line to watch where the ball is contacted. The ball is clearly over foul territory when LF tries to catch it, instead it hits his glove and falls to the ground. Of course, LF is in fair territory (I know, but bear with me). I give the foul ball call. Offense goes nuts, saying that LF was in fair territory therefore the ball has to be fair. I explained to them that it all depends on the ball's location when it's contacted by LF. They don't believe me, so they went to my partner. He confirmed my ruling. Ahhhh...the joys of being right.
My only HS coach ejection was just like this (assistant coach running on the field abusively insulting us).

Of course, they also claimed I didn't make the call immediately (before the ball hit the ground).
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Of course, they also claimed I didn't make the call immediately (before the ball hit the ground).

And that would make a difference because......? rolleyes:
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Good, the will be that many more people who will be educated on the rules of softball.
Wishful thinking, Mike.

I'm surprised I haven't received any phone calls yet. I already called my assignor after the game and explained everything to him. Unfortunately, the director of the league is not known for standing his ground when players and coaches start calling and complaining.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Ugh... Caught absolute HELL tonight. 2 outs, top of 7th, visitors down by a run after coming back from a 9-1 deficit. Close play at the plate, but the runner had to slow down because F2 was in the base path before the ball got there. He gets tagged out about half a step from the plate, which he probably would've made had F2 not been in the base path. I kill it, award home, and all HELL broke loose.

Home team ended up winning anyway, but I think I felt like wade did a couple years ago.
You know, I am absolutely opposed to verbalizing obstruction; in 99% of the cases, it stops play (and we know that is why they do it in baseball; if the play stops, awards are so much simpler!!).

But, this is one case that I think you should point and yell "THAT'S OBSTRUCTION!!" at the top of your lungs, as the play develops, so that you made the call before the part where everyone sees the runner apparently tagged out.

It won't change that they hate you called it, it won't change that they want to be able to block the base path in that case, it won't change that they swear it didn't happen as you called it. But, it takes away part of the venom when it is assumed you made it up after the play just to screw THAT team.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had one a couple weeks ago, similar to this. Long hit down the 3B foul line, stays in the air. LF running like a bat out of hell towards it. I'm PU (slow-pitch, 2-umpire), and running down the 3B line to watch where the ball is contacted. The ball is clearly over foul territory when LF tries to catch it, instead it hits his glove and falls to the ground. Of course, LF is in fair territory (I know, but bear with me). I give the foul ball call. Offense goes nuts, saying that LF was in fair territory therefore the ball has to be fair. I explained to them that it all depends on the ball's location when it's contacted by LF. They don't believe me, so they went to my partner. He confirmed my ruling. They didn't believe us, so they started talking to the other umpires after the game, and of course, ruling affirmed (why do I feel like it was court system night???). Finally the coach of the team said "That is the stupidest rule in softball!"

I had the same team the next week, and the coach came up and apologized, saying that he had called the softball office (which coordinates all the leagues in Omaha) and they had confirmed that my ruling was correct because that was the rule. Ahhhh...the joys of being right.
High school playoffs starting this week here in Georgia, and had a first round game last night. Home team batter hits a 5 bounder down the third base line, which jumps foul just as it reaches the third baseman. Foul ball. The fans get up as if one, and say "She touched it!!".

PU (me) turns and says "Thank you!! When she touched it over foul territory, that is the definition of a foul ball."

Sheepish looks (and silence) from the home crowd, quiet laughter from the visiting side (that would have made the same argument, of course).

Third base coach comes in, asks me what I had, says "That what I had, too; I'm just here to cover the embarrassment my parents are feeling."

My partner is out behind the bases, shaking his head, not believing I did that.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
You know, I am absolutely opposed to verbalizing obstruction; in 99% of the cases, it stops play (and we know that is why they do it in baseball; if the play stops, awards are so much simpler!!).

But, this is one case that I think you should point and yell "THAT'S OBSTRUCTION!!" at the top of your lungs, as the play develops, so that you made the call before the part where everyone sees the runner apparently tagged out.

It won't change that they hate you called it, it won't change that they want to be able to block the base path in that case, it won't change that they swear it didn't happen as you called it. But, it takes away part of the venom when it is assumed you made it up after the play just to screw THAT team.
The exact sequence was: saw the OBS, barely got my arm out, saw the tag. Immediately, without hesitation, at the top of my lungs: "DEAD BALL! DEAD BALL!" A lot of cheering, so I had to say it twice, maybe three times before anyone knew what was happening, despite the fact that I'm not exactly "quiet." "Obstruction by the catcher!" Point to the plate with left hand. "Runner, you get home!"

I sold the hell out of that call, but still took crap. Oh well, that's all one can do, really. I knew all hell was going to break loose as soon as I saw the catcher drifting into the base path.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 07:08am
Ref Ump Welsch

Had an obstruction last night, in which I protected the batter-runner to 2B. Gave the DDB signal, and she saw it. When she got to 2B, and time was called (slow-pitch), she asked "I get third, right? That's automatic when you gave that signal, right?" I said "no, I only had you protected towards second because that's as far as you would have gotten in my judgement." She tried the line that it wasn't judgement based, it was an automatic award. I told her she needed to read the rules, and if she harped anymore, the night was over for her. Women playing coed ball shut up really fast when you say that.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had an obstruction last night, in which I protected the batter-runner to 2B. Gave the DDB signal, and she saw it. When she got to 2B, and time was called (slow-pitch), she asked "I get third, right? That's automatic when you gave that signal, right?" I said "no, I only had you protected towards second because that's as far as you would have gotten in my judgement." She tried the line that it wasn't judgement based, it was an automatic award. I told her she needed to read the rules, and if she harped anymore, the night was over for her. Women playing coed ball shut up really fast when you say that.
Had a player round 1B and get bumped by F3 enough to where he got knocked to the ground 10' from 1B. A second later, the throw came in to F4 standing at 2B. The runner got up, dusted himself off, and casually trotted to 2B, where he was tagged and was told to return to 1B.

"I thought I automatically got 2B..."

Not even Willie Mays-Hayes would've made it to 2B.

Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

16u FP this weekend. I am PU.

R1 at first, BR hits a shot to the right center gap. R1 rounds second, heads for third, great throw from F8 beats R1 by about two steps, but F5 can't handle the throw and the ball bounces away from her. R1 did not slide and sees the ball get away from F5. As R1 is rounding third, she brushes F5 still standing near third. The contact wasn't much, but it did cause R1 to break stride. My left arm goes out and R1 heads for home. F1 was backing up the play at third and easily retrieves the ball and throws home. F2 tags R1 about 6 feet before home.

DEAD BALL! OBS on F5, R1 back to third, BR back to second!

I start waiting and looking to see which coach is going to come out and want an explanation of the call. Nobody says a thing....players, coaches, fans...nothing.

I have a hard time believing that everybody there understands the OBS rule that well.....
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:04pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
16u FP this weekend. I am PU.

R1 at first, BR hits a shot to the right center gap. R1 rounds second, heads for third, great throw from F8 beats R1 by about two steps, but F5 can't handle the throw and the ball bounces away from her. R1 did not slide and sees the ball get away from F5. As R1 is rounding third, she brushes F5 still standing near third. The contact wasn't much, but it did cause R1 to break stride. My left arm goes out and R1 heads for home. F1 was backing up the play at third and easily retrieves the ball and throws home. F2 tags R1 about 6 feet before home.

DEAD BALL! OBS on F5, R1 back to third, BR back to second!

I start waiting and looking to see which coach is going to come out and want an explanation of the call. Nobody says a thing....players, coaches, fans...nothing.

I have a hard time believing that everybody there understands the OBS rule that well.....
Are you sure you weren't being filmed for "The Twilight Zone" revivial movie?
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

"Blue, youre not supposed to call them out for leaving early during fall ball. The whole purpose is for a college coach to time her with a stop watch."
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
"Blue, youre not supposed to call them out for leaving early during fall ball. The whole purpose is for a college coach to time her with a stop watch."
What you want to say, but will not: "See if that stop watch will tell you how long it takes you to get to the parking lot".
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What you want to say, but will not: "See if that stop watch will tell you how long it takes you to get to the parking lot".
I told him his runners could keep running when I yelled dead ball but they are going to be called out.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

10U game last night I learned the strike zone is where ever the batter stands. Typical 10U pitcher throwing nice 8-10' arcs, offensive coach has his batters all standing up in the very front of the box. Pitches are crossing them about their eyes, but dropping right through the strike zone.

Come on blue, those pitches are over their heads!
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Whenever people ask me if I work SP I ask them , "I work 10U rec ball, does that count?"