View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
You know, I am absolutely opposed to verbalizing obstruction; in 99% of the cases, it stops play (and we know that is why they do it in baseball; if the play stops, awards are so much simpler!!).

But, this is one case that I think you should point and yell "THAT'S OBSTRUCTION!!" at the top of your lungs, as the play develops, so that you made the call before the part where everyone sees the runner apparently tagged out.

It won't change that they hate you called it, it won't change that they want to be able to block the base path in that case, it won't change that they swear it didn't happen as you called it. But, it takes away part of the venom when it is assumed you made it up after the play just to screw THAT team.
The exact sequence was: saw the OBS, barely got my arm out, saw the tag. Immediately, without hesitation, at the top of my lungs: "DEAD BALL! DEAD BALL!" A lot of cheering, so I had to say it twice, maybe three times before anyone knew what was happening, despite the fact that I'm not exactly "quiet." "Obstruction by the catcher!" Point to the plate with left hand. "Runner, you get home!"

I sold the hell out of that call, but still took crap. Oh well, that's all one can do, really. I knew all hell was going to break loose as soon as I saw the catcher drifting into the base path.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.