The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Fall ball

Just got a call from a league director organizing a fall ball league. 15 teams, 10U, 12U. 12U has both a competitive level and an instructional level.

League rule: no tolerance for unruly parents. If a parent gets ejected, the coach is ejected too. If a parent refuses to leave after being ejected, call the sheriff and remove him/her. I have no doubts that he'll do this.

This was the result of an umpire leaving the field during a game because of unruly parents.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
Just got a call from a league director organizing a fall ball league. 15 teams, 10U, 12U. 12U has both a competitive level and an instructional level.

League rule: no tolerance for unruly parents. If a parent gets ejected, the coach is ejected too. If a parent refuses to leave after being ejected, call the sheriff and remove him/her. I have no doubts that he'll do this.

This was the result of an umpire leaving the field during a game because of unruly parents.
In all the games, in all the years I've worked, I've never even CONSIDERED ejecting a parent. Fans are outside the fences - ignore them.

This is your league foisting off a problem area onto YOU, when they should handle it themselves. Making this ejection YOUR problem (and exacerbating the anger by ejecting the coach as well) is more likely to become a parking lot problem for you.

I am all in favor of "No tolerance for unruly parents", but making it the UMPIRE's issue is a HORRIBLE idea.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
In all the games, in all the years I've worked, I've never even CONSIDERED ejecting a parent. Fans are outside the fences - ignore them.

This is your league foisting off a problem area onto YOU, when they should handle it themselves. Making this ejection YOUR problem (and exacerbating the anger by ejecting the coach as well) is more likely to become a parking lot problem for you.

I am all in favor of "No tolerance for unruly parents", but making it the UMPIRE's issue is a HORRIBLE idea.
I have had the tournament officials remove a parent. I was at 3rd and this parent literally cussed at the kid at 3rd base - to me, that was WAAAAAAY over the line. I told her if she hurried, she could get back to the hotel beore the pool closes cause she certainly wasn't watching the rest of this game!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I have had the tournament officials remove a parent. I was at 3rd and this parent literally cussed at the kid at 3rd base - to me, that was WAAAAAAY over the line. I told her if she hurried, she could get back to the hotel beore the pool closes cause she certainly wasn't watching the rest of this game!
Congrats ... but why did you feel it was necessary for you, as umpire, to interject yourself. It may have been way over A line, but it is not your line to draw unless a fan gets to the point where they are disrupting a game (which for me, would practically require said fan to enter the field).

You're asking for trouble addressing any nonsense outside the fence ... especially if mandated by rule as in the OP.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Congrats ... but why did you feel it was necessary for you, as umpire, to interject yourself. It may have been way over A line, but it is not your line to draw unless a fan gets to the point where they are disrupting a game (which for me, would practically require said fan to enter the field).

You're asking for trouble addressing any nonsense outside the fence ... especially if mandated by rule as in the OP.
IMO, a fan sitting on the first row, right next to the field, cussing at a girl that's 11 yo IS a disruption to the game. When you can see it effecting the kids - I'd step in everytime. You may disagree, but without hesitation, I'd do it again. It's not about the fans or me - it's about the kids.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IMO, a fan sitting on the first row, right next to the field, cussing at a girl that's 11 yo IS a disruption to the game. When you can see it effecting the kids - I'd step in everytime. You may disagree, but without hesitation, I'd do it again. It's not about the fans or me - it's about the kids.
No offense here, but you seem to be proving in both forums today that you don't actually call the levels you are posting. A real NCAA umpire would NEVER EVER EVER acknowledge the fans. And you should never do so at lower levels either. If an umpire working for me did as you suggest, I'd hesitate to schedule them. This is an AWFUL idea.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Are you saying you have never had a situation where spectator(s) are disrupting or inciting the players?

Especially in HS or youth games, some behavior "outside the fence" is unacceptable and we might need to remind the TD/admin/coach.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree. The umpire is there to officiate the game. The umpire is not there as the language police, social services, ground crew, crowd control or babysitter (except adult SP).

If an umpire is that upset with a fan's action, it should be addressed to a coach, TD or site administrator.

Yes, I know there are organizations which afford an umpire authority outside the fence. I do not agree with it and, in certain circumstances, can place undo liability on an umpire.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No offense here, but you seem to be proving in both forums today that you don't actually call the levels you are posting. A real NCAA umpire would NEVER EVER EVER acknowledge the fans. And you should never do so at lower levels either. If an umpire working for me did as you suggest, I'd hesitate to schedule them. This is an AWFUL idea.
First of all, let me look and see - NOPE, It wasn't an NCAA game - unless they allow 11 year olds to play college ball. I don't worry about the fans at any level UNLESS they are disrupting the game and bothering the kids. If you would allow this to happen then you have the problem. A fan yelling obsenities at a child IS a problem and I will not tollerate it on my field. What you are saying is you have no morals? (No offense here!)

Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
First of all, let me look and see - NOPE, It wasn't an NCAA game - unless they allow 11 year olds to play college ball. I don't worry about the fans at any level UNLESS they are disrupting the game and bothering the kids. If you would allow this to happen then you have the problem. A fan yelling obsenities at a child IS a problem and I will not tollerate it on my field. What you are saying is you have no morals? (No offense here!)
Don't you two have email accounts with which you can disagree?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Don't you two have email accounts with which you can disagree?
That's funny! Heck, I'd give him my phone number and we could talk on the phone. Ain't nothing but a thing!!

Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...I will not tollerate it on my field. ...
You own the field?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The umpire is not there as the language police, social services, ground crew, crowd control or babysitter (except adult SP).
Now that's funny!
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If an umpire is that upset with a fan's action, it should be addressed to a coach, TD or site administrator.
A quick review of my post would reveal that this is exactly what I did. I certainly did not remove them - had tournament management do it.

Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A quick review of my post would reveal that this is exactly what I did. I certainly did not remove them - had tournament management do it.
Didn't say you didn't, especially since I wasn't responding to your post.

I would say, however, that what you described, I wouldn't consider that as affecting the game and wouldn't even address this issue.