View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Ugh... Caught absolute HELL tonight. 2 outs, top of 7th, visitors down by a run after coming back from a 9-1 deficit. Close play at the plate, but the runner had to slow down because F2 was in the base path before the ball got there. He gets tagged out about half a step from the plate, which he probably would've made had F2 not been in the base path. I kill it, award home, and all HELL broke loose.

Home team ended up winning anyway, but I think I felt like wade did a couple years ago.
You know, I am absolutely opposed to verbalizing obstruction; in 99% of the cases, it stops play (and we know that is why they do it in baseball; if the play stops, awards are so much simpler!!).

But, this is one case that I think you should point and yell "THAT'S OBSTRUCTION!!" at the top of your lungs, as the play develops, so that you made the call before the part where everyone sees the runner apparently tagged out.

It won't change that they hate you called it, it won't change that they want to be able to block the base path in that case, it won't change that they swear it didn't happen as you called it. But, it takes away part of the venom when it is assumed you made it up after the play just to screw THAT team.