View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Had one a couple weeks ago, similar to this. Long hit down the 3B foul line, stays in the air. LF running like a bat out of hell towards it. I'm PU (slow-pitch, 2-umpire), and running down the 3B line to watch where the ball is contacted. The ball is clearly over foul territory when LF tries to catch it, instead it hits his glove and falls to the ground. Of course, LF is in fair territory (I know, but bear with me). I give the foul ball call. Offense goes nuts, saying that LF was in fair territory therefore the ball has to be fair. I explained to them that it all depends on the ball's location when it's contacted by LF. They don't believe me, so they went to my partner. He confirmed my ruling. They didn't believe us, so they started talking to the other umpires after the game, and of course, ruling affirmed (why do I feel like it was court system night???). Finally the coach of the team said "That is the stupidest rule in softball!"

I had the same team the next week, and the coach came up and apologized, saying that he had called the softball office (which coordinates all the leagues in Omaha) and they had confirmed that my ruling was correct because that was the rule. Ahhhh...the joys of being right.
High school playoffs starting this week here in Georgia, and had a first round game last night. Home team batter hits a 5 bounder down the third base line, which jumps foul just as it reaches the third baseman. Foul ball. The fans get up as if one, and say "She touched it!!".

PU (me) turns and says "Thank you!! When she touched it over foul territory, that is the definition of a foul ball."

Sheepish looks (and silence) from the home crowd, quiet laughter from the visiting side (that would have made the same argument, of course).

Third base coach comes in, asks me what I had, says "That what I had, too; I'm just here to cover the embarrassment my parents are feeling."

My partner is out behind the bases, shaking his head, not believing I did that.