The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Doctored Bats

I mentioned that I would bring this up in another thread, so here goes...

In one of the local leagues, we have a player who reportedly is getting his bats doctored. He'll buy a bat that's on the banned list for having too much "pop" (probably a Freak Plus), send it off to a bat doctor to have it stripped down and painted to look like a Freak 98, then use it in recreational games. One of our umpires knows the UPS driver who delivers to this player's private business (unrelated to softball), and the driver has told our umpire that this guy receives a shipment of about 10 bats early in the spring, ships them back out to somewhere else the next day. Then, a week or two later, the bats come back. During the games, when he hits one out, the batter on deck knows to grab his bat and put it in the dugout right away.

Believe me when I tell you that whoever is doctoring these bats is GOOD. Our own state UIC has looked at them (he's in the area), and not even he can tell if they're fake.

The question becomes: in a local league, what, if anything, can be done about this? He's playing in local co-ed recreational games, and many of the opposing players are very inexperienced. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt, or even worse. Supposedly, these are Freak 98s, but all of us know better.

It has been stated by another forum member that bat manufacturers do not use primer on their bats, so no primer should be found if the bats' paint is cracking/peeling. Are there any other suggestions for spotting these doctored bats?

I'm glad to see ASA is taking a stand against this. They've already won one lawsuit (and smartly, at that!), and I'm sure more will follow.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like all you have is hearsay.

I would strongly advise against any kind of 'scratch' test to look for primer under the paint. About the only thing I can see is if the testimony of this UPS driver would convince the league to confiscate one of the allegedly doctored bats and have it tested to the ASA bat-performance standards. That's the only definitive solution that doesn't also damage the bat. But of course it costs money to run this test.

This is actually a serious allegation. If the player is guilty, he should be banned for life. But what if he really is just a good hitter? All of the 'evidence' presented is circumstantial at best.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

The best suggestion I can give you is to treat those bats like a used car that had body work. Look for ANY blemish in the paint finish, look for any overspray or paint overrun on the endcaps or the grips. Make sure that the Freak logo is perfectly flush, and not a raised logo.

Finally, I believe that you have the final judgment in a pregame bat check. If you doubt that bat, simply state that it cannot be used that night "in your judgment". Force the local league to either support you, or overturn you. Either way, they then accept and assume all liability for the results.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Sounds like all you have is hearsay.

I would strongly advise against any kind of 'scratch' test to look for primer under the paint. About the only thing I can see is if the testimony of this UPS driver would convince the league to confiscate one of the allegedly doctored bats and have it tested to the ASA bat-performance standards. That's the only definitive solution that doesn't also damage the bat. But of course it costs money to run this test.

This is actually a serious allegation. If the player is guilty, he should be banned for life. But what if he really is just a good hitter? All of the 'evidence' presented is circumstantial at best.
I agree that it's all hearsay, and I know it's a very serious allegation. He's a very seasoned player, but you can tell that when he puts one out, it's the bat. The ball just flies well beyond what a Freak 98 should give him, and considering the actions of his teammates (grabbing the bat and almost hiding it once he puts one out), things are just adding up.

I'll talk with the other ump who knows the UPS driver, and I'll talk with my boss about it. If the report about the UPS driver story holds true, I (or my boss) will forward it on to the director of the league.

Any other tell-tale signs of a doctored bat that you've found?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
...this guy receives a shipment of about 10 bats early in the spring, ships them back out to somewhere else the next day. Then, a week or two later, the bats come back. ....
So, he is spending $2000 - 3000 per year just to hit a few illegal home runs in a rec softball league?

Maybe the simplest way to handle this is to tell his wife!
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:03am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
So, he is spending $2000 - 3000 per year just to hit a few illegal home runs in a rec softball league?

Dakota:

Are you a divorce lawyer?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Heh... Well, if he's buying 10 a year, he's probably selling them to buddies of his (further complicating the issue). He also owns his own business, so his wife, if the jerk even has one, probably doesn't even know.

Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Go here:

http://downloads.asasoftball.com/ump...ctoredBats.pdf

This is the format of the breakout given at the UIC clinic this year. It would be much better if you had someone who attended this session give accompanying (is that a word?) information, but this gives you a start.

Also, if it is a Miken, get the serial number off the questionable bat and call OKC. They will contact Miken and confirm the serial number belongs to that bat. If the number or any of the graphics on the bat are a decal, the bag most likely has been painted as Miken states they do not use decals.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 10:42am.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Mike, that is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. I very much appreciate you sending the link. If the Miken bat doesn't have the serial, would you say it's been doctored? Some can slip through the cracks during the manufacturing process.

And yes, "accompanying" is a word.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 10:56am.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike, that is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. I very much appreciate you sending the link. If the Miken bat doesn't have the serial, would you say it's been doctored? Some can slip through the cracks during the manufacturing process.

If it does not have a serial number it should be considered doctored. I believe even Miken would tell you that. Also check to see if the serial number is a decal. If it is you got a doctored bat.

Two years ago I was working a Class C National in Hastings, NE. Several umpires, including myself, suspected a bat was doctored in just the way you described. It was pulled and sent to Oaklahoma City and found to repainted non-approved bat. I later heard that the owner/player was suspended from ASA play.

On a diffrent note where do you umpire at NCASAUmp? I work in the Charlotte area myself.

Jeff Merriman
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie

On a diffrent note where do you umpire at NCASAUmp? I work in the Charlotte area myself.
Hmmm. Two other Tarheels on here? I, technically, am a transplated Tarheel. I was born and raised in Durham.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Hmmm. Two other Tarheels on here? I, technically, am a transplated Tarheel. I was born and raised in Durham.
Transplated Husker. Born and raised in Lincoln, NE. Moved to Charlotte a little over a year ago. Love the Carolina lifestyle.

Jeff Merriman
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, Miken will tell you every bat has a serial number. If it doesn't, it is probably a painted bat.

BTW, please note that even a legal bat painted by anyone other than the manufacturer is an altered bat.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

This may sound odd, but I would not be surprised if the UPS driver has some sort of privacy rules that he is/would be breaking if he discusses somebody's receipts and shipments without proper authorization.
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm originally from Wisconsin, but moved to the Triangle area in 2000. I actually work in Durham, dodging bullets (and wishing I could carry concealed, but, alas, my job won't let me).

I'll pass the word around to my fellow "blues" in the area, especially the ones who call his games. We're tired of being accused of apathy, and I believe that most of us would love nothing more than to see this guy get his "just desserts." His general demeanor in every game is one of "let's see what I can get away with today."

Mike's PDF that he posted on here is very helpful. If any of you passed it over, you might want to rethink doing so. It provides some good info, and I definitely recommend reading it. Thanks, Mike!

Any other suggestions on spotting these doctored bats?