The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nhg41 Send a message via Yahoo to nhg41
Exclamation

Was just wondering if the ASA will ever get around to making adequate bat rules for the lower divisions of play (i.e. Mens D and E slow pitch, Co-Ed Slow pitch) We've all heard the stories of players being seriously injured or killed because the game no longer relies on talent, but more often on technology. I run a local Co-Ed league and last year proposed a rule that all the caoches in the league voted on to adopt. We allow no composites, double-wall or "shell" bats (EST, Connexxion, Demarni, etc.). Among the composites were the Synergy models, Miken models and all of the Mizuno Techfire series.
This made for a much more competitive league and kept the games from being total routs.
Over the course of the year I saw many line drives hit up the middle that could have, in my opinion, seriously injured the pitcher if the ball had been hit using one of these bats.
I play in various leagues and all have their own specific by-laws and it has become more commong in these leagues to have similar rules. Some merely outlaw composites, some just double walls and others merely specify single wall only. Of course, there is always someone who will find a loophole in any rule to give themselves an advantage.
Perhaps it is time to make it very clear that softball is generally a game of fun, not fanatics.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nhg41
Was just wondering if the ASA will ever get around to making adequate bat rules for the lower divisions of play (i.e. Mens D and E slow pitch, Co-Ed Slow pitch) We've all heard the stories of players being seriously injured or killed because the game no longer relies on talent, but more often on technology. I run a local Co-Ed league and last year proposed a rule that all the caoches in the league voted on to adopt. We allow no composites, double-wall or "shell" bats (EST, Connexxion, Demarni, etc.). Among the composites were the Synergy models, Miken models and all of the Mizuno Techfire series.
This made for a much more competitive league and kept the games from being total routs.
Over the course of the year I saw many line drives hit up the middle that could have, in my opinion, seriously injured the pitcher if the ball had been hit using one of these bats.
I play in various leagues and all have their own specific by-laws and it has become more commong in these leagues to have similar rules. Some merely outlaw composites, some just double walls and others merely specify single wall only. Of course, there is always someone who will find a loophole in any rule to give themselves an advantage.
Perhaps it is time to make it very clear that softball is generally a game of fun, not fanatics.
ASA does not officially have an "E" level, but that is actually irrelevant to the issue.

ASA standards are for ASA ball at the Championship level. Period. If a bat is dangerous to one player, it is a danger to all. Just because the more talented, perceived or actual, thinks they can handle play with that type of equipment does not diminish the power of that piece of equipment.

ASA allows associations to adopt their rules and alter them in any way those folks see fit, which is exactly what you have done.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

bat list

nhg41

Many of our leagues have developed a list of acceptable bats from the http://www.bandnsoftball.com website. That site has a doublewall/Composite list and a single wall bat list. We use this list because it is a independently developed list. I think the site membership is $20 or $25 per year for a league and $10 for an individual. It has led to more competitive games, ending in about an hour. It has eliminated the need for time limits and has put defense back into the game.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nhg41 Send a message via Yahoo to nhg41
Smile

Thanks for the info. I will check this out and see if it will suit my needs as i have no desire to go through the entire ASA approved bat list and sort out slow pitch, fast pitch, composite and double wall. You'd think who ever runs the ASA website would have it broken out that way.