Thread: Doctored Bats
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Sounds like all you have is hearsay.

I would strongly advise against any kind of 'scratch' test to look for primer under the paint. About the only thing I can see is if the testimony of this UPS driver would convince the league to confiscate one of the allegedly doctored bats and have it tested to the ASA bat-performance standards. That's the only definitive solution that doesn't also damage the bat. But of course it costs money to run this test.

This is actually a serious allegation. If the player is guilty, he should be banned for life. But what if he really is just a good hitter? All of the 'evidence' presented is circumstantial at best.
I agree that it's all hearsay, and I know it's a very serious allegation. He's a very seasoned player, but you can tell that when he puts one out, it's the bat. The ball just flies well beyond what a Freak 98 should give him, and considering the actions of his teammates (grabbing the bat and almost hiding it once he puts one out), things are just adding up.

I'll talk with the other ump who knows the UPS driver, and I'll talk with my boss about it. If the report about the UPS driver story holds true, I (or my boss) will forward it on to the director of the league.

Any other tell-tale signs of a doctored bat that you've found?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.