The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Resin...........Rosin...........

Sonny's Bar-B-Que is the best in the Southeast. Great web site.

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/:)

You know you're a good tourney when they have a Sonny's near by.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
No, it's not resin. It's rosin.
You really don't want to start that thread again, do ya?

Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Ump 2
Resin...........Rosin...........

Sonny's Bar-B-Que is the best in the Southeast. Great web site.

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/:)

You know you're a good tourney when they have a Sonny's near by.
For one of the best BBQ joints in America, this is the place to go.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Heads up ASA umps

Hey, ASA umps...

ASA released an updated list of non-approved bats yesterday. Go here for the list: http://www.softball.org/about/certified_equipment.asp

Darn it, if only I had checked yesterday. We approved a Worth Mutant last night, not knowing it had been banned earlier that day.

Anyone know of any "automatic notification" listservs for these kinds of things? Or am I looking at the closest thing to it right here?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp

Anyone know of any "automatic notification" listservs for these kinds of things? Or am I looking at the closest thing to it right here?
Presently, this is it. However, this past winter ASA has openly noted that they are exploring the cost of initiating a connection with any umpires which would possibly include an e-mail address to which information like this could easily be disseminated to the troops.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

The bat may be legal, but illegal . . .

I talked with a past president of ASA yesterday about banned bats. He was picking up a Miken Freak to have tested to see if it had been altered. There were tool marks on the end cap, and a pitcher had been struck in the face with a batted ball off of this bat and hospitalized. (He is o.k., but was in the hospital about two days.)
According to him, the bat was probably an Ultra that had been painted to look like a Freak by Miken. He theorized the bat was probably already made (but unpainted) when the Ultra was banned and Miken painted it to be a Freak so they could sell it to more customers. This particular bat was an old Miken Freak that had the 2000 stamp on it. I'm sure there are more out there like this one.
He also mentioned a bat (I can't remember which one) that he saw that tested at 97 mph brand new. They then rolled the bat on a roller and beat on it with mallets (accelerated break-in) and the bat then tested at 104 mph.
These are just a couple of things ASA is dealing with concerning altered and/or banned bats.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsouthblue
I talked with a past president of ASA yesterday about banned bats. He was picking up a Miken Freak to have tested to see if it had been altered. There were tool marks on the end cap, and a pitcher had been struck in the face with a batted ball off of this bat and hospitalized. (He is o.k., but was in the hospital about two days.)
According to him, the bat was probably an Ultra that had been painted to look like a Freak by Miken. He theorized the bat was probably already made (but unpainted) when the Ultra was banned and Miken painted it to be a Freak so they could sell it to more customers. This particular bat was an old Miken Freak that had the 2000 stamp on it. I'm sure there are more out there like this one.
I have a hard time buying this theory. If Miken had painted the bat, there would be no markings on the bat or end cap, no need for it unless the player who owned the bat was not happy with how hot it already was. Miken has been one of the leaders in bat control, so I find it hard to believe they would jeopardize their standing and business by violating any agreement with the softball associations.

If this is found to be true, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Someone better have a load of money for the lawsuits by sanctioning bodies, leagues, teams and players and that would just be on the civil side. I would think there could possibly be criminal charges raised againt Miken and all associated companies.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I thought they were tool marks, as did the umpires and tournament director and UIC. He did not. Sorry for the confusion.

But this is just what he said. Anyway, he was sending the bat to Washington State today to have it tested. Of course, the bat has been around for 6-7 years; it has probably been broken in by now and will test faster than 98 mph.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

bkbjones, while serving as a tournament UIC, has bribed two umpires with the only decent ribs in the Greater Seattle area that are not made at my house.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsouthblue
I thought they were tool marks, as did the umpires and tournament director and UIC. He did not. Sorry for the confusion.

But this is just what he said. Anyway, he was sending the bat to Washington State today to have it tested. Of course, the bat has been around for 6-7 years; it has probably been broken in by now and will test faster than 98 mph.
Interesting. How is E.T. doing?
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Interesting. How is E.T. doing?

Fine. I played 9 holes on Wednesday with him and a couple of other guys. He was hitting it left most of the day, but he still shot better than me.

I'll find out about the bat when I see him again.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I realize this is an old post, but I'm following up on it with new information.

We finally caught the S.O.B. I spotted the pry marks on the end cap (thanks, Mike, for posting that link to the ASA doctored bats PDF), and I told the team to get rid of the bat. I warned my PU that I had spotted an Easton Synergy SCN8 with pry marks. The owner of the bat put it back in his bag, but didn't tell anyone else I'd tossed it.

Later in the game, his teammate pulled out the bat, as it's one of his favorites (wonder why). With one hit, the end cap flew off, and upon examination, I found weights glued to the end cap.

We tossed the batter, but let the owner of the bat stay. I pondered tossing him as well, but decided against it. His teammates were staring, glaring, and cussing him up and down.

I'll admit I feel terrible for his coach, as I know she's a fine, upstanding coach and good member of the community. She's probably still fuming.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 10:24am. Reason: Corrected the model number
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post

With one hit, the end cap flew off, and upon examination, I found weights glued to the end cap.
Now that made me chuckle--reminds me of a big leaguer breaking his bat and sending cork all over the field. Good job.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

there is no way to tell for sure a bat is altered or doctored in ur words a painted bat is impossible to tell as far as it being a freak 98 i just sold my freak 98 that was hitting 330 ft bombs right out of the wrapper and its a true freak98 my friendone at the same store same time as i did and his is like hitting a canoe paddle all bats are different even the same model some are hot some are not further investigation needs to be done before accusations are made
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev27 View Post
there is no way to tell for sure a bat is altered or doctored in ur words a painted bat is impossible to tell as far as it being a freak 98 i just sold my freak 98 that was hitting 330 ft bombs right out of the wrapper and its a true freak98 my friendone at the same store same time as i did and his is like hitting a canoe paddle all bats are different even the same model some are hot some are not further investigation needs to be done before accusations are made
Whaaaat????