The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

SP over the fence HR & baserunning rules

We've had some learnings recently in our local men's SP wreck league. One of these regards baserunning responsibilities when a batter hits an over the fence HR.

In a game this week, the defense wanted to appeal the BR missing HP on his HR. I said it didn't matter, he didn't actually need to run the bases and any appeals for missed bases was eliminated by the HR. I heard all kinds of various and sundry rules from other associations/leagues/umpire rulings, etc. about what I should have done, including possibly protesting the game should it happen again.

Various rule references for ASA:

Rule 8, Section 3

I. Awarded bases must be touched in legal order.

EXCEPTION: All Adult Slow Pitch. (This does not apply to Senior’s Play.) On any fair batted ball hit over the fence for a home run or on a four base award, the batter and all runners are credited with a run. The batter and any runners on base are not required to run the bases. This eliminates any appeal play on runners.

Then, via e-mail, I was asked:
"So, since batters do not need to run the bases and therefore a runner cannot be penalized for missing a bag, doesn't this mean that all base running rules are null and void when a hitter hits a homerun?"

I'm not sure yet whether this is a simple inquiry/confirmation, or if I'm being baited with a trick red herring.

Looking some more at the baserunning responsibilities, I came across:

Rule 8, Section 3

D. A runner shall not run the bases is reverse order to confuse the fielders nor to make a travesty of the game.
Effect: The ball is dead and the runner is out.

Now if a runner who was on 2B at the time of the HR decides to head back to the 1B dugout, I wouldn't consider that running in reverse order. But if the batter decided to take his jaunt starting with 3B instead of 1B, I might have an issue with that.

Does this action "make a travesty of the game"? The ball is dead once it clears the OF fence, so no calling the ball dead again. If the ball has become dead upon the HR, and the batter is credited with a run, can he be called out? If called out, does it cancel the run? If he can't be called out, ejected for UC?

I think the only time I might actually see something like this is if there was an intense dislike between the two teams involved, or a particular player who was being a real jerk.

Just curious as to what opinions you guys might have on this.

Thanx.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 01:39pm
Ref Ump Welsch

As for ANY appeals in SP on an OTF HR, don't even honor them. Just tell the defense it's an appeal that cannot be made because the rules don't allow for it. If they bicker, it had better be the captain or manager who's discussing this with you or you should have a problem with the team becoming spokespeople.

As for the other scenario, if the batter decides to "taunt" the defense by going towards 3B like you described, you can't call him out because he already hit the HR. The ball's dead. Your only option at this time is USC and sending the jerk to the parking lot, in other words, ejection.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
As for ANY appeals in SP on an OTF HR, don't even honor them. Just tell the defense it's an appeal that cannot be made because the rules don't allow for it. If they bicker, it had better be the captain or manager who's discussing this with you or you should have a problem with the team becoming spokespeople.

As for the other scenario, if the batter decides to "taunt" the defense by going towards 3B like you described, you can't call him out because he already hit the HR. The ball's dead. Your only option at this time is USC and sending the jerk to the parking lot, in other words, ejection.
Absolutely correct. There may be no appeals with regards to missed bases on an over-the-fence HR in ASA SP. However, if a player taunts another team player or coach, that's a whole different matter.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

It seems that this question or something similar has come up in the past.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the conclusion at the time was that the HR hitter was not required to run the bases, but if he chose to do so, he needed to do it legally and was subject to appeal for missing a base.

I have two options here:

1. WWMD (What Would Mike Do?)
2. Try to find the old thread

I think I'll wait for Mike to chime in before I go searching for the old thread....
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

"but if he chose to [run the bases], he needed to do it legally"

I've never heard of this one. As soon as the ball hits over the fence, the runs count. No appeals.

Here's one, though:

R1 on 1B. Batter hits a very high drive down the left-field line. The ball is obviously going to clear the fence. R1 stands just off 1B and admires it, or thinks it's going to be foul and doesn't run. The BR rounds 1B and passes R1 before the (fair) ball hits on the other side of the fence.

If ASA follows its ruling regarding a foul fly ball, the BR should be called out.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It seems that this question or something similar has come up in the past.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the conclusion at the time was that the HR hitter was not required to run the bases, but if he chose to do so, he needed to do it legally and was subject to appeal for missing a base.

I have two options here:

1. WWMD (What Would Mike Do?)
2. Try to find the old thread

I think I'll wait for Mike to chime in before I go searching for the old thread....
Rule 8.3.I.EXCEPTION All adult slow pitch (This does not apply to Seniors' Play)
On any fair batted ball hit over the fence for a home run or on a four base award, the batter and all runners are credited with a run. The batter and any runners on base are not required to run the bases. This eliminates any appeal play on runners.

I don't think it can be any clearer. If the fair fly ball leaves the park in any manner, only those adult SP players that are participating in Seniors' Play need to run the bases and or be subject to an appeal for a missed base.