The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
I was not trying to downgrade anyone's accomplishments on or off the field. I do know that there are a lot of fine umpires who do not have the 'credentials' that are what some are looking for ie. Elite, multiple ASA nationals etc.

I too have worked with bad NCAA umpires. I have also worked with bad ASA umpires. No organization has a monopoly on good or bad umpires and to expect something from someone because of the initials behind their name is a mistake.
Absolutely no argument there, but now a question. If someone was qualified for a certain level, why not take the step?

Who knows where or what it will get you.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Absolutely no argument there, but now a question. If someone was qualified for a certain level, why not take the step?

The reasons can be numerous. This year I got the invite to do college ball. I have my first training tournament right after Nationals.
The travel-so now I have to be prepared to travel 6 hours roundtrip. Being the new guy I've been told to expect to have that trip several times this year.
Next month I have to travel and spend the weekend in a desolated Central Valley town doing a tourney. I'm not that excited about that trip and weekend away from home.
I also have some concerns about college ball being run by the coaches. I'm not exactly sure what that means in real time but I'm not the most coach friendly guy in the world. So that may be an issue.
Also the college assignor and I have had our moments. It was over an ejection at a National he was UIC for blah,blah,blah. I stood my ground but there was consequences. I'm not in his fraternity and I'm not one of his good ole boys...he actually caught me off guard when he asked me to do college ball. I heard there was pressure on him to get a little younger, and I guess I qualify as a little younger.....

So traveling, not wanting to deal with the college caoches, and not willing to suck up are three reasons off the top of my head I can come up with.

Having said all that I am going to try it this year with an open minded attitude. If it works out great,if not back to HS and my weekends of ASA ball.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... If someone was qualified for a certain level, why not take the step?

I hate to hijack a hijacked thread, and will probably wish I hadn't, but for some it comes down to this: Lower pay than weekend round robins, no travel, no hotel. Before everyone starts, it's not all about the money; it's about the mentality of some in ASA that you should be compensated less than usual to provide a service to a certain customer because it's an honor to do so. IMO, an umpire should not be any more honored to work a game than the participants are to have him/her work their game.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Personnally, I dont think the above discussed umpire is missed at nats. Thats a fair opinion to have and cya when I get back to the leagues. But please, dont torture me with your (no one in specific) sour grapes about your opinion.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Personnally, I dont think the above discussed umpire is missed at nats.
Probably not. Like-mindedness is more important than substance to some.

Quote:
Thats a fair opinion to have and cya when I get back to the leagues.
Not sure what the cya part means. Please explain.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree. There is no really good reason not to take the next step. Some choose not to. It's kind of like quitting smoking.

For me the reason is simple. 2-3 ASA local tourneys a year. I am loyal to ASA in that they got me my start in 'real' softball, and will continue to register and work ASA where possible. I am not the type that needs a label attatched to my name or a list to know what I can do.

Watch me on the field, and I will try my best to prove myself there.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Lower pay than weekend round robins, no travel, no hotel. Before everyone starts, it's not all about the money; it's about the mentality of some in ASA that you should be compensated less than usual to provide a service to a certain customer because it's an honor to do so. IMO, an umpire should not be any more honored to work a game than the participants are to have him/her work their game.
Well, it sure sounds like some of it is about the money.

I have never seen a traveling umpire not have a hotel room at a national. And to address Steve's issue before he jumps in, there can be issues with what the host determines to be a "traveling" umpire and, unfortunately, this is part of where the umpires run into conflict with the commissioners.

I agree that the minimum pay rate is too low, but it will never be able to compete with local tournaments as the expenses are enormously greater at the national.

This is a shortcoming of the council. Over the past six years, every time someone talks about money, the first target that falls into their sights is the umpire. National tournaments are no longer an "honor" for the host (as it is the umpire), but they are actually looking to make money. Over the past 5-6 years, they have cut many tournament games from 3-umpire to 2-umpire games TO SAVE MONEY. They have increased the allowance for the number of hosts umpires TO SAVE MONEY. However, many, if not most, national tournaments pay umpires higher than the minimum.

OTOH, I have been able to work some great games and tournaments because I chose to take the steps to get there. There is no doubt that I got the right tournaments which put me on the path, but I busted my hump to get to the level of being qualified and available for those tournaments. And, yes, I did have to pay for ONE weeklong clinic. But I have never come home with less money than I left.

Obviously, it is up to each umpire as we all have reasons for certain commitments or not. Some just do not have access to the path needed to be taken and that just isn't right. OTOH, if you just don't work certain games because you think "I'm never going anywhere", how would anyone know you would evenly remotely interested in moving up?

Oh, well, to each their own, just curious.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Not sure what the cya part means. Please explain.
Cover your [behind]. (maybe)

And I think this is a great discussion.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, it sure sounds like some of it is about the money.

I have never seen a traveling umpire not have a hotel room at a national. And to address Steve's issue before he jumps in, there can be issues with what the host determines to be a "traveling" umpire and, unfortunately, this is part of where the umpires run into conflict with the commissioners.

I agree that the minimum pay rate is too low, but it will never be able to compete with local tournaments as the expenses are enormously greater at the national.

This is a shortcoming of the council. Over the past six years, every time someone talks about money, the first target that falls into their sights is the umpire. National tournaments are no longer an "honor" for the host (as it is the umpire), but they are actually looking to make money. Over the past 5-6 years, they have cut many tournament games from 3-umpire to 2-umpire games TO SAVE MONEY. They have increased the allowance for the number of hosts umpires TO SAVE MONEY. However, many, if not most, national tournaments pay umpires higher than the minimum.

OTOH, I have been able to work some great games and tournaments because I chose to take the steps to get there. There is no doubt that I got the right tournaments which put me on the path, but I busted my hump to get to the level of being qualified and available for those tournaments. And, yes, I did have to pay for ONE weeklong clinic. But I have never come home with less money than I left.

Obviously, it is up to each umpire as we all have reasons for certain commitments or not. Some just do not have access to the path needed to be taken and that just isn't right. OTOH, if you just don't work certain games because you think "I'm never going anywhere", how would anyone know you would evenly remotely interested in moving up?

Oh, well, to each their own, just curious.
Yeah, the hotel was an issue - but that's done.
Since an ASA gig is not an option, I'll do another group's national in Ohio next week. Chances are good that there won't be more than 2-3 games per day, and that's OK with me. Part of what I'm looking forward to is what happens in between games and when we're all done for the day. It's interesting to travel to another area and watch the umpires there and talk with them. I learn something from just about every umpire I see or work with - it ranges from "Hmmm, that's good, I've got to try that." to "OMG, I don't ever want to do anything like that."
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Yeah, the hotel was an issue - but that's done.
Since an ASA gig is not an option, I'll do another group's national in Ohio next week. Chances are good that there won't be more than 2-3 games per day, and that's OK with me. Part of what I'm looking forward to is what happens in between games and when we're all done for the day. It's interesting to travel to another area and watch the umpires there and talk with them. I learn something from just about every umpire I see or work with - it ranges from "Hmmm, that's good, I've got to try that." to "OMG, I don't ever want to do anything like that."
What, half of US umps going to that tournament? Their motto is to work ya. I imagine at least 3 posters here will be at that one or the one in NC.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Ronald is right. 2 riding in my car, and at least 2 more going to Ohio that I know of, plus Steve makes 5 and who knows NCASA may come by Middle creek to hang out in the tower with me. Hint Hint

If nothing else, Dave, It will be good for a few laughs, remember I am with the 12's.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ronald is right. 2 riding in my car, and at least 2 more going to Ohio that I know of, plus Steve makes 5 and who knows NCASA may come by Middle creek to hang out in the tower with me. Hint Hint

If nothing else, Dave, It will be good for a few laughs, remember I am with the 12's.

yeah ... 12'ss wooooo I cant wait untill we get to that field...I dont think I will get my championship plate because my zone is going to be BIG ... and by big I mean HUGE and by HUGE Imean like horton hears a who big (the relationship of normal zone = a who and horton = my zone this weekend ) I tried a doc suess reference but I dont think it really worked out this time haha

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You make it sound so dirty...

When's the tourney again? I'll admit I don't follow FP as closely. However, I'll gladly hoist a few beers with you fellas.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

KCG, what about 14U's. They are both in Cary.

The tourney starts today according to Pony's website and goes to the 31st.

I wish one of the soups would change its national dates so I could go to both.
Old Fri Jul 24, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Thanks for the ISF Rule. No doubt that was obstruction.

How about the, "yes she did" without checking with his partner. That is a quick call mechanic. You don't wait until after the catcher is pointing and asking. Once she does stop and go to your partner. Got to love what the Aus coach said about the PU playing to the camera. Maybe this was a make up call
I am coming in very late on this conversation But:
ISF Mechanics are that you only ask your Partner on a 'Check Swing' if requested to by the catcher.

Now if I misconstrued the comment apologies, maybe I should keep out next time!!