The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

USA vs Australia

I watched the 3rd quarter of the USA/Australia game from Shanghai this morning. The officials are FIBA, obviously. At one point, the ball swung momentarily to the C side of the court. The Lead closed down and looked like he was about to rotate. And then the C held up a stop sign toward the Lead!! Like he was saying "Don't rotate." And so the Lead stayed put. Anybody ever see this? I have to admit, that I've helped a rookie or two with positioning (usually in transition), but I've never told a Lead not to rotate.

Less than a minute later, the same official (still in the C) called a travel outside the opposite lane line right between the L and T.

Has anybody else been watching these tune-up games?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I have been watching on and off the last few games. The officials are a mixture of FIBA officials and others; David Jones (NBA ref) is one of the officials today.

I have noticed the ESPN announcers mention a rule change concerning clear path fouls (NBA terminology I know). FIBA's rule change doesn't come into effect until October although the officials might be conscious of the impending change and are calling those fouls more closely.

And finally Dwayne Wade has a Gold Medal tour lined up for after the Olympics. It's hard to believe the arrogance that still exists after the disasters of the last few international competitions.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I saw the game with Canada a while back. I'll watch as much as possible during the actual Olympics.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've been watching.

The only comment I can offer is that I like "don't rotate decisions" that these Ls are making, compared to NBA games where I see the L rotate and a shot comes from the L's new area just before/just as the L gets to his new spot.

I've also tried to watch as a fan, and just enjoy a game for once.

I'd like to know what Canadian officials are getting ready for Beijing. With Canada not making the tournament, it's a great opp for Canadian officials to work, because there is no chance whatsoever for the perception of bias.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Two Cdn officials are going to Beijing. Steve Seibel from BC for the men and Dawna Townsend from Ont. on the women's side.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Many times I've seen NBA officials indicate to each other no switching during the final 24 seconds of a quarter. It's not unusual at all.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 10:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Two Cdn officials are going to Beijing. Steve Seibel from BC for the men and Dawna Townsend from Ont. on the women's side.
WOW!
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:15am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Many times I've seen NBA officials indicate to each other no switching during the final 24 seconds of a quarter. It's not unusual at all.
I guess if you say you've seen it, I have to believe it; but I find it pretty unlikely that NBA officials tell each other NOT to rotate (not "switch", as you stated). Even in the last 24 seconds of the period, the Lead can come ballside; the outside officials simply don't complete the rotation. So the C wouldn't tell the L not to come ballside. The C would see the Lead cross the lane, but simply wouldn't slide back to Trail.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
WOW!
Want to elaborate on that?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:31pm

Quote:
Want to elaborate on that?
I thought we would have more than two.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I've been watching.

The only comment I can offer is that I like "don't rotate decisions" that these Ls are making, compared to NBA games where I see the L rotate and a shot comes from the L's new area just before/just as the L gets to his new spot.

I've also tried to watch as a fan, and just enjoy a game for once.

I'd like to know what Canadian officials are getting ready for Beijing. With Canada not making the tournament, it's a great opp for Canadian officials to work, because there is no chance whatsoever for the perception of bias.
Juggs...

Steve Siebel (BC) & Dawna Townsend (ONT) are the Canadian Olympic officials.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
I have been watching on and off the last few games. The officials are a mixture of FIBA officials and others; David Jones (NBA ref) is one of the officials today.

I have noticed the ESPN announcers mention a rule change concerning clear path fouls (NBA terminology I know). FIBA's rule change doesn't come into effect until October although the officials might be conscious of the impending change and are calling those fouls more closely.

And finally Dwayne Wade has a Gold Medal tour lined up for after the Olympics. It's hard to believe the arrogance that still exists after the disasters of the last few international competitions.

Dave Jones is a FIBA official. You can't officate a game at this level with being a FIBA official. The governing bodies of most countries have multi-level registration with the highest level being a FIBA license. USA Basketball has a two level registration, the higher level be a FIBA license and the lower level being a USA Basketball Referee license. An official with a FIBA license is qualified to officiate any level of FIBA sanctioned game any where in the world. USA Basketball Referees are qualified to officate FIBA sanctioned games below major championships such as the college tours, when Canadian high school and colleges play the same level teams in the United States and special competitions such as the Special Olympics World Summer Games.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
USA Basketball Referees are qualified to officate FIBA sanctioned games below major championships such as the college tours, when Canadian high school and colleges play the same level teams in the United States and special competitions such as the Special Olympics World Summer Games.
MTD, Sr.
Mark,
Are you sure this qualification is required for Special Olympics? I recall a couple years ago, when they were in Ames, Iowa, the call went out for Iowa officials to volunteer. I don't recall anything about needing different certification, however.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Dave Jones is a FIBA official. You can't officate a game at this level with being a FIBA official. The governing bodies of most countries have multi-level registration with the highest level being a FIBA license. USA Basketball has a two level registration, the higher level be a FIBA license and the lower level being a USA Basketball Referee license. An official with a FIBA license is qualified to officiate any level of FIBA sanctioned game any where in the world. USA Basketball Referees are qualified to officate FIBA sanctioned games below major championships such as the college tours, when Canadian high school and colleges play the same level teams in the United States and special competitions such as the Special Olympics World Summer Games.

MTD, Sr.
According to FIBA Americas, David Jones is not a FIBA official. Here is the list from their website. I'm not sure if it's completely accurate, I thought Sean Corbin had his FIBA license.

United States of America - FIBA Americas Referees

# Lastname Firstname Licence No.
1. Adams Deborah Down 97122
2. Bargo Mary Susan 16724
3. Batsell Richard William 17355
4. Blauch Susan Elaine 97115
5. Bonner Amy Lynn 16746
6. Claybrook Leslie 16725
7. Collins Jeffrey Dee 17356
8. Davis Marc Jerald 17357
9. De Paul Diana 16730
10. Exum Thomas Earl 16731
11. Gonyeau Leah Lavon 16732
12. Grinter Felicia Andrea 16733
13. Gruca Karen 16734
14. Kennedy William Gene 17358
15. Lewis Melissa Francine 16736
16. Lonergan Kathleen 16738
17. Marsh Dawn Michelle 16739
18. Moore Terry Matthew 20010093
19. Nichols Jeffrey Damian 97121
20. Otto Wayne William 9398
21. Overstreet Meadow 16740
22. Pitts Lisa Kae 97117
23. Reed Michael Allen 17359
24. Reynoso José Manuel 1829
25. Rosenow Patrick Michael 9281
26. Ruggs Lisa Lynn 16742
27. Rush Eddie Fernanzo 96116
28. Stith Winston Cornel 17360
29. Suffren Angelica 16743
30. Tyburski Ronnie Joe 17361
31. Unruh Wayne Allan 8125
32. Vera Kristi Marie 16745
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 04:02pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

United States of America - FIBA Americas Referees
Is that list for all of North America? Because I know for a fact that Jose Carrion is working the Olympics, and he is from Puerto Rico (which I think is still considered North America).