The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Well, at half time of the game last night (my time) I was all set to get online and start laughing about how funny it was going to be for the USA to not make it through the preliminary rounds.....but they finally got their act together. As my younger brother put it, they finally realised that to beat a zone you have to play like a team and pass the ball around and stuff

As far as the refereeing goes - wasn't overly impressed...couple of very suspect foul calls. Especially on Duncan and some of the ofensive calls were VERY odd.

What did you guys think?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 07:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Didn't see it.
I'm having more fun watching the Thorpedo.
mick
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Didn't see it.
I'm having more fun watching the Thorpedo.
mick
True he is pretty awesome

Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Well, at half time of the game last night (my time) I was all set to get online and start laughing about how funny it was going to be for the USA to not make it through the preliminary rounds.....but they finally got their act together. As my younger brother put it, they finally realised that to beat a zone you have to play like a team and pass the ball around and stuff

As far as the refereeing goes - wasn't overly impressed...couple of very suspect foul calls. Especially on Duncan and some of the ofensive calls were VERY odd.

What did you guys think?
The game aired out West at 4:30AM. I'm glad that I got up for it before work.
1. I saw real effort and emotion out of those guys. The played unprofessionally, like enthusiastic kids. Great!
2. They played DEFENSE from the 2nd Q on. The 4th Q was smothering.
3. To beat the zone they used their superior jumping ability and threw over the top for dunks.

4. I think that the foul on Bogut of Australia (plays for Utah) was clearly the worst of the tournament. He stood flat-footed in the lane with his two hands up and together. The USA player (Marbury, I think) rammed the ball into his hands and bounced back. Bogut remained motionless.

Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Thorpedo..... *Sigh* Van den Hoogenband forever!!

ADR

(I'm sorry, off-topic, just a little chauvinism )
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:45am
Esteemed Participant

Thorpedo?? Bah!! Van den Whosamijigger?? Phhhbbbtttt...new king of the pool is Phelps - he's fun to watch! (Actually, so are the other two, but I really can't stand that Gary Hall, Jr. guy!!!)As far as the Olympic reffing - I can't believe the number of double whistles and lack of off-ball calls...
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 09:01pm
Administrator

I know that this thread was about the USA-Australia men's pool play game, but I just love the uniforms that the Australia's women's team wore against the USA in today's gold medal game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I know that this thread was about the USA-Australia men's pool play game, but I just love the uniforms that the Australia's women's team wore against the USA in today's gold medal game.

MTD, Sr.
It's worth a mention.

From what I've heard, Lauren Jackson posed in quite the interesting 'uniform' back home . . .
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What did you guys think?
I was talking to a D-1 buddy of mine today at a tournament and somebody else asked him about the reffing at the Olympics. He said, "Two-person officiating for the best athletes in the world? Those poor guys were probably just trying to survive." Somebody asked him about officials being "in the quicksand" (reffing from the middle of the key) and he said, "yeah, not technically correct but again you've got two officials trying to get good angles, which is impossible with such big and wide players in 2-person, so the mechanics kind of went out the window when they went into survival mode." He also made the point that we have no idea what the officials were told by the governing body who hired them and assigned them in regards to player and coach decorum. Maybe they were told, "don't give a technical foul unless you are assaulted."

Z
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Maybe they were told, "don't give a technical foul unless you are assaulted."

Z
That was obviously what they were told.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
I ran across this game channel surfing this morning, and I must admit, that I watched women's basketball longer then I normally do, and it wasn't to see if Lisa Leslie could get a dunk down.
That's similar to what I was going to say about Phelps and the "Thorpedo".
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

MTD, Sr.
It's worth a mention.

From what I've heard, Lauren Jackson posed in quite the interesting 'uniform' back home . . .
I actually referred one of the first domestic games to be played with players wearing the (then) new style of bodysuit uniforms.

My local team's colours are maroon and white, and the positioning of the white stripes left VERY little to the imagination....needless to say, after that first game there where many, many young, male referees volunteering to do these games - and yes, I was one of them! :P

Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I actually referred one of the first domestic games to be played with players wearing the (then) new style of bodysuit uniforms.

My local team's colours are maroon and white, and the positioning of the white stripes left VERY little to the imagination....needless to say, after that first game there where many, many young, male referees volunteering to do these games - and yes, I was one of them! :P
I'm sure there was some pretty poor officiating in those games.

Although there was probably less ball watching

I suppose you also thoroughly examined the players for proper attire!
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford

I suppose you also thoroughly examined the players for proper attire!
Sometimes they make it all too easy . . .
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

True....

As the referees organiser it was a pleasure to have a large number of refs lining up begging to do the games