The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Australia

I reffed a game last night between the local school team and a travelling team from Australia. What a fun time!

Before the game started, there was some conversation between the coaches and the referee. Turns out the Australians hadn't researched the rules they would be playing under traveling the US. They play under international rules. So we made a few adjustments in the game.

Still, after the game the coach from the Australian team commented that the officials at home are less stringent in calling the travelling violations and that we let things go that their officials are more stringent on. I didn't ask what those might be.

Startled the players on the bench once when I blew my whistle right in front of them. (Surely they have Fox whistles there? )

Startled the coach when she asked for a timeout once and I granted it immediately. Apparently at home they have to wait for a dead ball before the timeout is granted.

Fun evening.

Rita
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

In FIBA the coach has to go to the table to request a TO which isn't granted until the next dead ball?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fiba???

My daughter's AAU team traveled to Spain for an internatinal tournamamnt a few years ago. I was fortunate to go along as a chaperon. I will admit that I don't know squat about FIBA rules, but one thing I did notice was that the travel calls on the perimeter seemed to be similar to what I see here in the good old USA, but once a dribbler made a move to the basket, it seemed to me like they were getting an extra step before a travel call was made. The call went both ways, so we were not getting "homed".
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

A few years ago I worked a tournament with teams from up and down the west coast including two from British Columbia. They didn't seem to have any problem adopting to NF rules and there were really no negative comments from the coaches at all.

I'll work their games anytime, eh?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
In FIBA the coach has to go to the table to request a TO which isn't granted until the next dead ball?
Yes. A time out is called only by the coach (or assistant coach) by signalling the request to the score keeper who will sound the horn at the next TO opportunity, basically any dead ball when also the clock is stopped or a basket scored by the opponents (if the ball is already dead, the TO must be requested before the ball becomes live, in order to get the TO immediately). The TO can be granted also after a successful last free throw, between successive series of FT for different fouls, or between FT and a throw-in from the division line.

An exception is, of course, the dead ball following a scored basket in the last two minutes of regulation time or overtime: only the non-scoring team can be granted a TO, unless the non-scoring team has been granted a TO or a substitution.

(Comment: it's indeed very difficult to say, isn't it?)

Players cannot ask for a TO, with one exception: when a team has no coach and the team captain is playing; in this case the captain can ask the TO directly to the nearest official who will grant it at the first TO opportunity.

Ciao