The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Cool So yesterday I worked with errr... something

I'll try to write this as the long day is already starting to blur and it begins again soon. We have a transfer ump from so cal. He is quite the artist.

I'm getting ready for nats so I have to be working on my game. So I'm the BU and the show begins...

HaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa! Hand raised in the air hand extended.. 3 or 4 moon walks back with head darting back and forth looking 1st / 3rd.. Hammer.

um.. ok...

And again and again.

On strike 3.. "Its on the corner"point at the plate around the catcher, hammer time (I could ALMOST hear whatever music he must hear during the game), girls out.

Every pass ball and foul ball, he runs 1/2 way to the pitcher and throws her a new ball. ANd gets the other one from the catcher (this looked sharp IMO).

Between all pitchers is dance time. Always shoulder shaking, strutting around, very high energy (even after 6 games) .

I probably do at times talk with the crowd (not lately because I'm working on my habits but as a course), talk with coaches, but I got nothing on this guy.

"Everyone say heyyy hoooo and raise your hands in the air". So the crowd does several times. They love him. The announcements. The counts, situational descriptions. They clap at the end of the game for him!!! Are you f'ng kidding me??!!?!

So I was not really able to work on my game the first game as my jaw was on the ground and I kept tripping over it. I had a very difficult time focusing because all of his "stuff" was very distracting. What I'm typing is not doing it justice.

"Did they leave early blue?"
"How am I supposed to know, I'm watching the umpire.". (this didnt really happen, but it coulda!)

I was actually really irritated with him in the begining, because I have stuff to do and work on and he's playing dancing bear on a ball.. so I was not happy the 1st game. But I didnt say anything. I did a "wait and see" thing.

Running out to the mound and pep talking pitchers after they hit a batter, learning EVERYONE's name, (I do learn the coach).. this guy learned score keeper, asst coaches, hot dog guy, fans, everyone! Everygame!

His timing was great though, not a single bad call or position. By the end of the day, I actually liked working with him, was not distracted by "the show" and had developed a litte respect for his unorthodox style.

I would assign him to the championship game today but he doesnt have ASA uniform, its just plain and his pants are old and pink/faded. I'm still tempted too. I KNOW there wouldnt be any problems with the game. Hell the losers would probably run out and thank them.

No wait! They wouldnt have too, at the end of the game he RUNS to every coach shaking hands.

I tried remember everything so I could post about him, field memories fade quick, but it was quite something.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 07:09am.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Yikes.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Which would you rather have - someone like him, or Umpire Harpo who says NOTHING to ANYbody? And you sort of have to guess what the call was, and what the count is?
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Which would you rather have - someone like him, or Umpire Harpo who says NOTHING to ANYbody? And you sort of have to guess what the call was, and what the count is?
As a partner, Harpo. Less to explain.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 02:51pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I'd rather have halfway between dancing bear on a ball and Harpo. Had too many Harpos in my time, makes me want to throw away the indicator because I don't know what the idiot's calling!
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which would you rather have - someone like him, or Umpire Harpo who says NOTHING to ANYbody?
I'd rather have Umpire Harpo.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Where's the video!!!?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
Where's the video!!!?
Probably on youtube somewhere...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why are those the only options?

Can't I pick a competent partner, instead? One who does all parts of the job acceptably, if not completely perfectly?
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Can't I pick a competent partner, instead? One who does all parts of the job acceptably, if not completely perfectly?
It's sad that we have to ask for that. A good, competent partner should be the standard, and an amazing partner should be the exception for which we all strive.

Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Well I told him today that if ASA wanted him to have a personality they woulda put it in the manual for him.

Anyway, I didnt end up scheduling him for the champ game, but I did give him a plate semi final for his 3rd game in a row (aint moon walking now are ya guy?) ha ha .. he tried but the pep wasnt there. Me and another guy were working on our 3 man and he was PU and he was pretty much lost but catching on.. but took the fire right out

We had two tie breakers leading up to that and games about an hour behind and the guy scheduled to work the game was heat beat, so he ended up doing bases for his 4th in a row and 6th total for the champ game and all went well.

I would rather have this guy than a lazy guy 35 year vet who never reads a book and totally sucks.

I bet we turn this guy into an umpire. So Cal u-trip over.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

In a perfect umpiring world that happens every game. I'm searching for that world.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

hummm

I'd work with him sometimes we all take ourselves too seriously.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a Ron Luciano clone.