The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

force out question

Hi,

I have a question. There is a runner at third with 2 outs. A dropped third strike to the batter. The runner at third ends up scoring before the catcher throws to first to get the batter-runner. My question is, does the run count?

I have always understood that if the third out was a force out, the run does not count. I was a base umpire the other day. This occurred and the plate ump said the run scored and no one argued with him.

Thank you.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Run doesn't count!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

you might want to check your definition of force out.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Just to be clear in terms of rule nuance, this technically falls under a batter runner being put out prior to reaching 1B, it has nothing to do with a force in this particular instance.

Nonetheless, the run obviously should not have counted. Its actually such a nobrainer I'm not sure why they would let it go.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

A follow up question if I may. So I am the base umpire. I made the out call at first. three outs. The offensive team coach asks the plate ump if the run counted and he said yes. The other team didn't argue.

Do you think I should have gone up to the plate umpire and disputed his ruling? When the teams were changing sides I did mention to him I thought he was wrong. He assured me was right so I let it go as I didn't want to cause a scene on the field.

Thank you.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2explorer View Post
A follow up question if I may. So I am the base umpire. I made the out call at first. three outs. The offensive team coach asks the plate ump if the run counted and he said yes. The other team didn't argue.

Do you think I should have gone up to the plate umpire and disputed his ruling? When the teams were changing sides I did mention to him I thought he was wrong. He assured me was right so I let it go as I didn't want to cause a scene on the field.

Thank you.
I had a similar situation in my first year umpiring. I'm the rookie, on the bases. We have runners on 3rd and 1st and one out. Batter hits a long fly ball to the OF. Runner at first must have thought there was no way an OF makes the catch, so he's running. Runner from third goes back, tags up and scores after the catch. Two outs. Runner from first knows he's dead meat and didn't even try getting back, so the throw goes to 1B and on the live ball appeal, that runner is out. Three outs.

Offense wants to confirm the run counts and asks PU, who says no, run doesn't count because the out at 1B was a force out. Teams starts to go a little cuckoo. I confer w/ PU, and he's adamant about his ruling. Finally, I told him that the exact scenario happened to my team when I was a player and he relented. But still, only after I told the manager of the team that was being wronged that he could file a protest that would be upheld.

PU relented and we continued. We discussed briefly after the game and I got one of those "I coulda sworn..." This guy is always quick with an opinion on just about any subject and gets testy with the players a lot. So I guess I was lucky he didn't take me out to the woods, beat me to death with a stick, and leave my body for the wild dogs.

At least these days, he's a bit more receptive to listening to my opinions of various scenarios or actual game events.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2explorer View Post

Thank you.
This is a touchy subject (as you will quickly find out). The last thing you want to do is get your partner in trouble by going in and "rescuing" him. Do that, and you might as well put chalk marks under the bus.

Try to get your partner's attention in a subtle fashion. Make eye contact with him, something. But whatever you do, don't ever let your first words to a partner be, "I think you're wrong."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncasaump View Post
this is a touchy subject (as you will quickly find out). The last thing you want to do is get your partner in trouble by going in and "rescuing" him. Do that, and you might as well put chalk marks under the bus.

Try to get your partner's attention in a subtle fashion. Make eye contact with him, something. But whatever you do, don't ever let your first words to a partner be, "i think you're wrong."
amen
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Just to be clear in terms of rule nuance, this technically falls under a batter runner being put out prior to reaching 1B, it has nothing to do with a force in this particular instance.

Nonetheless, the run obviously should not have counted. Its actually such a nobrainer I'm not sure why they would let it go.
holy cow wade... Im going to agree with you ... we dont agree often ... but wow we do here

Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
holy cow wade... Im going to agree with you ... we dont agree often ... but wow we do here
Todays your lucky day then! I suppose its proof a blind squirrel can find a nut now and again.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
Todays your lucky day then! I suppose its proof a blind squirrel can find a nut now and again.
the sun even shines on a dogs a$$ somedays

anyone can win the lottery
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
haha ok wade lets not jump that far into it

Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

"Just to be clear in terms of rule nuance, this technically falls under a batter runner being put out prior to reaching 1B, it has nothing to do with a force in this particular instance."

Though the ASA rule book seems to recognize the distinction, a couple of ASA's case plays do call the out at 1B a force out. Whether this is intentional or just sloppy writing, I don't know. From the 2007 case book 2.3-4: "B1 is out. On any force out attempt from the foul side of 1B, F3 and B1 can use either [the] white or [the] colored portion." From 8.6-1: "Because [B6 was out] before B6 touched 1B, it results in a force out. Since the third out is a result of a force out, no run can score on this play."

I specifically remember, but have not been able to find, an ASA case play/test question/rule clarification on the following example: B1 hits a short fly to F10, touches 1B, and seeing F10 about to make an easy catch, turns around and retreats back down the 1B line to pick up his bat. However, F10 drops the ball and B1's teammates yell for him to run. F10's throw to F3 at 1B beats B1. ASA's ruling was that because B1 had retreated toward the base he had "occupied" (home), he is out for reinstating the "force."

I wish I could find that one. I believe it was a rule clarification posted on the ASA site at some point in the past few years, but the site goes back through 2007, and I don't see it. I remember it distinctly, however, because OBR's ruling on the same play is that because the out on the BR at 1B is not a force, the runner must be tagged to be put out.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
"Just to be clear in terms of rule nuance, this technically falls under a batter runner being put out prior to reaching 1B, it has nothing to do with a force in this particular instance."

Though the ASA rule book seems to recognize the distinction, a couple of ASA's case plays do call the out at 1B a force out. Whether this is intentional or just sloppy writing, I don't know. From the 2007 case book 2.3-4: "B1 is out. On any force out attempt from the foul side of 1B, F3 and B1 can use either [the] white or [the] colored portion." From 8.6-1: "Because [B6 was out] before B6 touched 1B, it results in a force out. Since the third out is a result of a force out, no run can score on this play."

I specifically remember, but have not been able to find, an ASA case play/test question/rule clarification on the following example: B1 hits a short fly to F10, touches 1B, and seeing F10 about to make an easy catch, turns around and retreats back down the 1B line to pick up his bat. However, F10 drops the ball and B1's teammates yell for him to run. F10's throw to F3 at 1B beats B1. ASA's ruling was that because B1 had retreated toward the base he had "occupied" (home), he is out for reinstating the "force."

I wish I could find that one. I believe it was a rule clarification posted on the ASA site at some point in the past few years, but the site goes back through 2007, and I don't see it. I remember it distinctly, however, because OBR's ruling on the same play is that because the out on the BR at 1B is not a force, the runner must be tagged to be put out.
Ground rule double, force out at 1b, same reason used though inaccurate.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Br to 1b is an undefined force