The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I worked with Smitty!

Yesterday, I worked with a very nice, middle aged man who was supposed to be experienced. He worked ASA and Professional softball and some Babe Ruth. I offered to do the first plate (2 eighteen year old travel teams) and we discussed the coverage and working the "V". I then had to talk him into removing his ball bag! He explained that he would have no where to put balls given to him by the coaches to which I told him, "Just have them send the balls to the catcher, I'll take them from there.". We got to the field and I helped him carry his 2nd cooler (he was struggling so I thought I'd give him a hand) when I heard a beeping coming from the one that I was carrying. I asked him if this thing was going to go off in my hand and he told me that that cooler has his 3 cell phones in a plastic bag. I didn't question any further.

I settled into "my groove" and then I noticed that every time I gave the count, he was flashing it back. When the count went full, he was standing showing me 2 clenched fists and screaming "Full Count" to both dugouts! I just ignored it as best I could. At the end of the first inning, he took out his brush (he hid it, I swear) and brushed off the pitcher's mound and proceeded to each base and clean them off, too.

It was very hot and humid and my partner by the fourth inning was becoming very concerned for my well being. He kept trying to give me ice cold water constantly (which I finally accepted in the sixth inning). Not that I minded this, he was just trying to be nice, but he kept shouting to me from the sidelines at the top of his lungs. I just politely waved him off.

In the seventh inning with a runner on 1st, the ball was hit to deep left. I called to my partner that I was heading to 3rd and then informed him that I was there as the ball and runner converged. The runner dove in and the high tag was never close and as I was raising my arms to make the safe call, I hear my partner screaming "OUT, OUT ON THE TAG AT THIRD!". I just lowered my arms, turned and headed back to the plate. Of course, I have the 3rd base coach politely questioning me to which I referred him to my partner, who then points to me and asks "What do you have?" I looked straight at him, took out 2 balls from my right ball bag, and 1 from my left ball bag and said, "I have 3 baseballs left! We should be okay for the rest of the inning!" The 3rd base coach didn't say anything more.

As we were walking back to our cars, my partner informed me that I missed 3 close pitches and should have insisted that the relief pitcher roll down his sleeves. I thanked him for the information and got ready for game 2 on the bases.

Game 2 was fourteen year olds - seven innings done in 5 and 1/2 hours!

On Saturday, I worked with Smitty!
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

A1 Blue Ribbon Smitty Post!

Thanks for sharing. I cannot feel your pain, but I do honor your patience. I do assume you drank beer ALONE after game 2.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 06:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked a 4-man with my 3 favorite partners. Championship series of the local 44-team adult league. I had the plate and it was a great day for baseball. 6-4 game, with the visiting team trying to come back after falling behind 6-1. Only one "complainer" and that was a called third strike on a nasty backdoor curve ball.

I have 4, maybe 5 more baseball games left, but we're definitely well into football season now.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
On Saturday, I worked with Smitty!
Ozzy, I'm going to save your post in its entirety so I can pull it out the next time I think I'm having a particularly bad day.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

"Yesterday, I worked with a very nice, middle aged man who was supposed to be experienced. He worked ASA and Professional softball and some Babe Ruth. I offered to do the first plate (2 eighteen year old travel teams) and we discussed the coverage and working the "V". I then had to talk him into removing his ball bag! He explained that he would have no where to put balls given to him by the coaches to which I told him, "Just have them send the balls to the catcher, I'll take them from there"

Oz,
I can guarantee that individual has not worked any higher level games within ASA, let alone the pro leagues. But, even if you weren't sharp enough yesterday to pick up on that, you probably did pick up on what I suspect was not great timing or positioning.
I work some higher levels within ASA and some of the highest levels within men's fast pitch. Your description tells me that he has not.

Let me add this - Smitty is Smitty is Smitty, regarless of what the game is.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
"Yesterday, I worked with a very nice, middle aged man who was supposed to be experienced. He worked ASA and Professional softball and some Babe Ruth. I offered to do the first plate (2 eighteen year old travel teams) and we discussed the coverage and working the "V". I then had to talk him into removing his ball bag! He explained that he would have no where to put balls given to him by the coaches to which I told him, "Just have them send the balls to the catcher, I'll take them from there"

Oz,
I can guarantee that individual has not worked any higher level games within ASA, let alone the pro leagues. But, even if you weren't sharp enough yesterday to pick up on that, you probably did pick up on what I suspect was not great timing or positioning.
I work some higher levels within ASA and some of the highest levels within men's fast pitch. Your description tells me that he has not.

Let me add this - Smitty is Smitty is Smitty, regarless of what the game is.
I didn't think that any of these things were ASA traits. I have seen many good ASA and NCAA softball umpires and none of them do these things. I always am leery of those who have to brag before a game, if you get my drift!

Regards
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

About brushing off the rubber/bases..... ASA intructs its umpires to brush off the pitching plate and bases in between innings if they are dirty. First time I saw that was at an ASA national tournament, and I was like the "WTF????". After the game I asked the BU ump what the deal was I was told they wanted that done. One of the diffeences between softball and baseball I guess.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
.....clipped.....I looked straight at him, took out 2 balls from my right ball bag, and 1 from my left ball bag and said, "I have 3 baseballs left! We should be okay for the rest of the inning!" .....
I want to come watch some of your games Ozzy. I'll be the one rolling on the ground, howling!

What fun. Good Old Smitty!

Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a very good men's league in the San Fernando Valley (CAL) MANY years ago. In this particular game, I was the BU. After the pre-game with the managers, I took my position. My partner brushed off the plate, took his position behind the catcher, put on his mask, pointed at the pitcher and said, "Play ball". The ONLY time he came out from behind the plate was between innings, and the next time he removed his mask was after the game, in the parking lot, on the way to our cars.

That evening, I called the assignor (someone I also worked HS FB and BB with), explained what happened, and told him NOT to assign me with this guy again.

Bob
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the end of the first inning, he took out his brush (he hid it, I swear) and brushed off the pitcher's mound and proceeded to each base and clean them off, too.

If i'm not mistaken, i believe this is an accepted softball mechanic and is encouraged- especially for the pitcher's plate.

Oz, was your game 2 seriously 5.5 hrs??? That's gotta be a typo!! WOW! I feel for you my man.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
If i'm not mistaken, i believe this is an accepted softball mechanic and is encouraged- especially for the pitcher's plate.
Boss,
Not just accepted in softball, but expected. When I work a softball game, I do things the softball way. When I work a baseball game, I try to do things the baseball way. Oz's smitty didn't make that effort - part of why he's recognizable as a smitty.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Oz, was your game 2 seriously 5.5 hrs??? That's gotta be a typo!! WOW! I feel for you my man.
No, it was not a typo!
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, it was not a typo!
Was the score like a WAC college football game? 48-45? That's just unbelievable for 7 innings!!
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Boss,
Not just accepted in softball, but expected. When I work a softball game, I do things the softball way. When I work a baseball game, I try to do things the baseball way. Oz's smitty didn't make that effort - part of why he's recognizable as a smitty.
This is one reason (unbelievable to many who also work softball, I'm sure) I could never work softball. I would never, never take a brush out when working the bases.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was the score like a WAC college football game? 48-45? That's just unbelievable for 7 innings!!
It was a walk-a-thon. It was a strike if the batter swung or the ball was dead on the plate. Pitch locations were used to qualify the "ball calls". Mind you, these were 14 year olds that can't really hit the broad side of the barn to start with!

Horrendous, just horrendous.