View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Cool So yesterday I worked with errr... something

I'll try to write this as the long day is already starting to blur and it begins again soon. We have a transfer ump from so cal. He is quite the artist.

I'm getting ready for nats so I have to be working on my game. So I'm the BU and the show begins...

HaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa! Hand raised in the air hand extended.. 3 or 4 moon walks back with head darting back and forth looking 1st / 3rd.. Hammer.

um.. ok...

And again and again.

On strike 3.. "Its on the corner"point at the plate around the catcher, hammer time (I could ALMOST hear whatever music he must hear during the game), girls out.

Every pass ball and foul ball, he runs 1/2 way to the pitcher and throws her a new ball. ANd gets the other one from the catcher (this looked sharp IMO).

Between all pitchers is dance time. Always shoulder shaking, strutting around, very high energy (even after 6 games) .

I probably do at times talk with the crowd (not lately because I'm working on my habits but as a course), talk with coaches, but I got nothing on this guy.

"Everyone say heyyy hoooo and raise your hands in the air". So the crowd does several times. They love him. The announcements. The counts, situational descriptions. They clap at the end of the game for him!!! Are you f'ng kidding me??!!?!

So I was not really able to work on my game the first game as my jaw was on the ground and I kept tripping over it. I had a very difficult time focusing because all of his "stuff" was very distracting. What I'm typing is not doing it justice.

"Did they leave early blue?"
"How am I supposed to know, I'm watching the umpire.". (this didnt really happen, but it coulda!)

I was actually really irritated with him in the begining, because I have stuff to do and work on and he's playing dancing bear on a ball.. so I was not happy the 1st game. But I didnt say anything. I did a "wait and see" thing.

Running out to the mound and pep talking pitchers after they hit a batter, learning EVERYONE's name, (I do learn the coach).. this guy learned score keeper, asst coaches, hot dog guy, fans, everyone! Everygame!

His timing was great though, not a single bad call or position. By the end of the day, I actually liked working with him, was not distracted by "the show" and had developed a litte respect for his unorthodox style.

I would assign him to the championship game today but he doesnt have ASA uniform, its just plain and his pants are old and pink/faded. I'm still tempted too. I KNOW there wouldnt be any problems with the game. Hell the losers would probably run out and thank them.

No wait! They wouldnt have too, at the end of the game he RUNS to every coach shaking hands.

I tried remember everything so I could post about him, field memories fade quick, but it was quite something.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 07:09am.