The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Of course, in U-trip, arriving at first base with the bat in hand would be an automatic out, so either way the batter-runner is screwed!
hrmmm...heard somewhere that they could carry the bat around the bases.. as long as they didn't use it to interfere in the play.
Dont know it to be fact and I dont do slo-pitch.
Is this true or was it EVER actually allowed?
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 11:42am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
hrmmm...heard somewhere that they could carry the bat around the bases.. as long as they didn't use it to interfere in the play.
I wonder if it were actually allowed. As long as I've done U-trip ball, I've always known the rule to be an out if they arrived at 1B with the bat in hand. Nothing forbids them from carrying it up the baseline, just they have to drop it before they touch the bag. I know NSA (when a certain city around here was using their rules) didn't prohibit carry the bat beyond 1B, but that was 10 years ago, so I'm not so sure about them anymore.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wonder if it were actually allowed. As long as I've done U-trip ball, I've always known the rule to be an out if they arrived at 1B with the bat in hand. Nothing forbids them from carrying it up the baseline, just they have to drop it before they touch the bag. I know NSA (when a certain city around here was using their rules) didn't prohibit carry the bat beyond 1B, but that was 10 years ago, so I'm not so sure about them anymore.
USSSA Rule 7-4-G:

Quote:
A Batter-Base Runner Is Out under the following circumstances: When, after hitting a fair ball, and while the ball is still live, the Batter-Runner carries the bat and touches first base or runs beyond first base while carrying the bat. Note: If this action results in the 3rd out of an inning, no runs shall score.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 11:51am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
USSSA Rule 7-4-G:
That's been the rule the whole time I've worked Utrip, which is running about 10 years now. I know there were some serious quirks back in the days I played some Utrip (and that was about 15 years ago or so), but I don't remember the running the bases with the bat. Of course, if I'd known that was permissible when I was playing, I would have been banned for life because I would have used it for ulterior motives.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
It is a USSSA rule. To the best of my knowledge, no other organization uses the rule.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:17pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It is a USSSA rule. To the best of my knowledge, no other organization uses the rule.
See Dave's post. He posted the USSSA rule that forbids carrying the bat to first base, or beyond.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See Dave's post. He posted the USSSA rule that forbids carrying the bat to first base, or beyond.
Yes, I know, but I was responding to CNB comments and question as his belief is factual for other rule sets.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, if I'd known that was permissible when I was playing, I would have been banned for life because I would have used it for ulterior motives.
And something tells me that's why U-Trip prohibits that act.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure if it still is the rule, but I used to work ISA and the rule was similar... You could not be carrying the bat when you touched 1st base.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I know, but I was responding to CNB comments and question as his belief is factual for other rule sets.
actually i was asking only in regards to usssa slow pitch (its 8-4-g BTW and its only regarding a live ball play... not lets say, a homerun.).... but now that you mention it.... has anyone ever had a BR carry their bat around the bags during a fast pitch game? I know i havent (yet) and if i did i would rule thats its nothing if asked by the opposing coach.

Last edited by CajunNewBlue; Wed May 06, 2009 at 03:14pm.