The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

ASA lookback violation?

New to ASA, three years rec softball experience. Had this the other day. It's probably a simple call for the veterans.

No outs, R1 on 3B, BR walks. F1 comes halfway home (out of the circle) when F2 challenges R1 who is off the base. BR rounds 1B, then stops to distract F2.

I have BR out for stopping between the bases after touching 1B after a walk. Was this right, even if F1 is out of the circle?

I'm doing everything I can to improve my skills, and have learned quite a bit from this forum. TIA.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, not correct.

The LBR is in effect when all of the conditions are met; 1) ball in control of F1 who is 2) in the circle (both feet within or touching the line) and 3) isn't attempting or feinting a play while 4) the BR, if any, has reached first base. Since one of the conditions was not met, the LBR could not be violated.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

In addition, if F1 met all the above condition the runner still has the right to round the base (going as far as she wants), stop, find the ball, and then either return to first or continue on to second. Both without stopping unless the pitcher attempts or feints a play.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
In addition, if F1 met all the above condition the runner still has the right to round the base (going as far as she wants), stop, find the ball, and then either return to first or continue on to second. Both without stopping unless the pitcher attempts or feints a play.
You are essentially correct. The "find the ball" part of it better not take longer than about a second. If she stops (for any reason), she needs to either retreat or advance immediately.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Tue May 05, 2009, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Got it now

Thanks for the correction. There's no better teacher than experience.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Aimpink...I am curious...Why didn't you read the look back rule in the ASA Rules Book?

Joe In Missouri
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Aimpink...I am curious...Why didn't you read the look back rule in the ASA Rules Book?

Joe In Missouri
Aimpink... I was going to ask the same thing, but didn't. This weekend I worked with a 2nd year umpire. He told me that he just couldn't get all the rules down. I told him what was told to me so many years ago.

You need to understand the logic behind the rule in order to learn the rule, and the best way to do this is the read the rule, then immediately read the RS, the immediately read the cases in the casebook that pertain to the rule.

Start at the beginning and go to the end in this manner. Then repeat, and repeat... Then set goals. My goal last year was to be able to say, "this situation falls under the batter is out, or Obstruction. My current goal is to have the rules known by Rule number, section, sub-section, effect.

Remember... mechanics make us look sharp and puts us in the right place to make the right call, but knowledge of the rules makes us creditable.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Very good advice.

My point was this...IF you are a new umpire, you will not know all of the rules. I have been umpiring for 15+ years and I do not know them all.

But, after you make a call and you are not sure if you were right, why would your first stop not be the Rules Book?

I see a tendency with new umpires to ask a lot of questions(this is good) but, a lot of them do not have the tendency to look it up.

A lot of what you will hear from experienced umpires will be correct-especially here. However, a lot of what you hear from experienced umpires will be horse hockey.

I have heard some of the most incredibly awful answers given by experienced umpires...

Joe In Missouri
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Experience is a funny word. I suspect most have known or do know the official with 30 years of (1st year) experience. And we've also known the official who is ready to move up because of studying rules and mechanics and learning the expectations of each level of the game.